Talk

Advanced search

do i need to trim before birth?[blush]

(45 Posts)
trixiechick Sun 05-Jul-09 20:26:26

o.k. bit embarrasing. I absolutly can't handle a bikini wax right now. I'm at my due date (and waiting...) and I'm trying to get my head around whether I should have a go at tidying things up down there. It's obviously quite difficult to reach at the moment so what do you think? Any hints or tips from people in the know???

mrsmaidamess Sun 05-Jul-09 20:27:10

For goodness sake do not bother. Midwives are not going to be judging the state of your pubes.

rubyslippers Sun 05-Jul-09 20:27:22

erm, if you can't handle it then don't

MWs have seen it all - please don't be blush

i had a pedi and that was the extent of any grooming below the waist!

Niecie Sun 05-Jul-09 20:28:25

I wouldn't bother. Last thing you will be worrying about when the time comes.

It has often been debated on various threads and the medical professions say they don't even notice and certainly wouldn't judge.

sazlocks Sun 05-Jul-09 20:29:58

TBH it will absolutely be the last thing on your mind at the time. That said I had a pedicure before I gave birth and was very glad because I ended up with a c section and wearing very glam elastic stockings for 5 days whilst in hosp. I couldn't fit any slippers on my sad, swollen feet so was very glad that at least my feet looked reasonable if a little larger than normal !!
Good luck

DiamondHead Sun 05-Jul-09 20:31:59

How far gone are you?

You may get to the stage where you might do it in a desperate hope that a bit of pain might get you going.

I went for a leg / bikini wax at 38 weeks and they nearly refused to do it. They said they didn't do women under 12 weeks or over 26. I said I'd be delighted if I went into labour and to get on with it. They only agreed because I'd had it done before.

Really though, who cares. Go with what you feel best with today.

Good luck for the big day.

nightshade Sun 05-Jul-09 20:33:08

i tried to tidy up the nighti went into labour. suddenly realised i couldn't without an extendable arm!

if you can and feel like it, then do so.

i did manage to blow dry and straighten my hair before going to hospital, which made me feel a whole lot better!

DiamondHead Sun 05-Jul-09 20:35:49

God = for a minute I thought you meant you blow dried and straightened your pubes.

The ultimate is to give birth looking like Rachel in friends, immaculate hair, certainly no sweaty red face, glossy stubble free legs. Quite frankly of you can't match that you're a tarmp.

nickytwotimes Sun 05-Jul-09 20:36:22

Utterly pointless to do anythign down there at this stage.
It looks like a bloody car crash by the time you are ready to go anyway, so don't waste your time!

Good luck with the birth. smile

nightshade Sun 05-Jul-09 20:42:04

blush

LaDiDaDi Sun 05-Jul-09 20:44:07

I would opt for a pedicure in preference. No one commented on my hairless undercarriage but my cracked heels got a couple of comments blush.

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 05-Jul-09 20:44:11

Message withdrawn

Miamla Sun 05-Jul-09 20:44:17

my DP did mine grin

rubyslippers Sun 05-Jul-09 20:45:52

so, a trim can help you go into labour?!

<<makes notes>>

StarlightMcKenzie Sun 05-Jul-09 20:48:11

Message withdrawn

Miamla Sun 05-Jul-09 20:51:08

actually if the truth be known, i had a go myself first (with a razor) and DP tidied up the mess I made blush

Noonki Sun 05-Jul-09 20:57:31

such a huge NOOOOOO

seriously midwifes have far better things to think about...they see about 10 fannies a day, they won't be interested in a bit of hair.

rubyslippers Sun 05-Jul-09 20:58:19

mmm @ battenburg

am liking your style starlight - much better than pineapple grin

trixiechick Sun 05-Jul-09 21:00:15

Oh if the trim wouldn't get me going laughing at your replies might!! grin That's done me the world of good!!!!! THink I'll chance the au naturel option Thanks for all your advice!!!

lou031205 Sun 05-Jul-09 21:05:44

Going to go against the crowd, here.

DD1 - First time birth. Couldn't believe the absolute 'road kill' that resulted from my very straightforward birth. The effort of the first shower, just trying to clean up 'down there' was huge.

DD2 - same thing, although not as extensive because I didn't tear. However, still a lot of 'goo'.

DD3 - decided to get a ladytrim. Just trimmed all over to a reasonably short neat length. I actually felt too weak to take a shower straight away, but because everything was so neat, I was able to just have a thorough wash, and I was nice and clean.

I would recommend that if you have the time and want to have a neaten up for your own sake then go for it. But don't do it for the midwife - they won't give a flying fart.

Miamla Sun 05-Jul-09 21:18:14

lou,, that's exactly why i bothered to sort mine out. my first shower after DS arrived was something that i was really looking forward to and it was that bit nicer knowing that i'd be trimmed. def agree with you about doing it for your own benefit not midwife's too!

Whitetara Sun 05-Jul-09 22:28:34

I'd say trim, if only for practicality's sake, if you can manage. I know I will be. Easier if you have a bikini trimmer...

MamaMimi Sun 05-Jul-09 23:31:21

I used a bikini trimmer a few days before having dd2. I had to use a mirror tho' otherwise I couldn't see anything.

EvaLongoria Sun 05-Jul-09 23:41:47

I am suprise that no one said that if you cant reach get DH or DP to do it. When you that big they will do anything to make you feel better. I got DH to "tidy" me up a bit and he actually loved doing something that made me feel better.

SOLOisMeredithGrey Mon 06-Jul-09 00:12:52

I did mine...wasn't easy, but it was a better feeling for me knowing it was ok wink.
Electric trimmer, strategically placed mirror, legs propped up grin it can be done! (and I was huge with Ds!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now