Talk

Advanced search

Please tell me about steroid injections/lung maturation/mode of delivery with pre-term delivery (post 35 weeks)

(16 Posts)
LeninGrad Sat 04-Jul-09 09:51:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Oblomov Sat 04-Jul-09 11:04:20

what do you need to know.
I am a diabetic and at 36 weeks my blood sugars plummeted. thus, They gave me the steroid injection on the wed, saying they would give the second on on the fri, maybe cs on the fri aswell. as it were, i never had the second one, becasue labour started. Very very fast. and i did end up with a cs anyway, but.
apparently it is not unusual for things to get going, post first injection.
what else would you like to know ?

Mumsnut Sat 04-Jul-09 11:06:10

I had the first injection at 31 weeks, and presumably had the second, though i can't remember. baby arrived at 38 weeks.

JetLi Sat 04-Jul-09 11:33:11

Hi Lenin - I sometimes have oral steroids for my asthma (Prednislone which I have been given in early pregnancy so it's classed as a "safe" one). I can't comment on what it will do regarding the lung maturation or particularly on the pregnancy, but it may well make you feel great - gives you a bit of a boost (albeit not straight away). My usual, most obvious reaction is that I get a temporary increase in appetite and all food that passes my lips tastes bloody amazing - and this includes KFC hmm and suspect hot dogs from dodgy burger wagons in B&Q car parks shock!!

whoops Sat 04-Jul-09 11:33:40

I had ds at 33 weeks, I had a steroid injection when they told us they were going to deliver him early and then 12 hours later as I was booked in for a c section the next day (ds had IUGR so they weren't desperate to deliver him)
He came out not needing any help breathing

Dysgu Sat 04-Jul-09 11:54:17

I had DD1 at 32 weeks. Had the steroid injection but contractions started and she arrived before there was time for the second injection. SHe occasionally had oxygen in the incubator during the first three weeks but always breathed independently.

I had DD2 at 35 weeks. Same thing, water went but no contractions. Debate between doctor and consultant and NICU re steroid injection. I had it - at request of NICU - and again, baby came too soon for second injection to be given. She needed no assistance with breathing.

Both girls (now 2.9yo and 6mo) are absolutely fine.

Good Luck

LeninGrad Sat 04-Jul-09 16:38:57

daisy99divine Mon 06-Jul-09 23:36:37

Hi, an alternative view, my DS was born emergency CSection with prolapsed cord at 36 weeks + 4. No time to do anything to anyone - him or me - so no steroids but he never needed help breathing and was fine

kitstwins Tue 07-Jul-09 12:20:18

I had steroid injections at 25 weeks at 31 weeks during my twin pregnancy. Both given when I went into early labour that was blocked by drugs. In the end, I had my babies at 35 weeks and they were born very healthy with no issues. In fact, the steroids meant that their lungs were well developed and they both avoided special care as they were able to breathe unaided and regulate their temperature.

Had I not had the steroids I'm fairly certain that they would have ended up in SCBU when they were born at 35 weeks.

They are worth having simply because they decrease the likelihood of the baby requiring a stay in SCBU. My consultant explained to me that SCBU was wonderful if they needed it but it tended to slow them down - premmie babies took longer to catch up if they had a stay in SCBU than a premmie baby that avoided the unit and went straight to the postnatal ward.

My babies are in very good health and so I'm very glad I had the steroid shots. I've no doubt they helped hugely.

Hope this helps.
K

CMOTdibbler Tue 07-Jul-09 12:35:01

DS was born at just on 35 weeks - I was advised that they did not give steroids at that gestation, but he would have only got one dose anyway, as he was born the night after my waters broke

He was admitted to SCBU straightaway as he was grunting, had blood sugar issues, couldn't control body temp and then had jaundice. But he had 5 days in there and was then discharged straight home, fully bfed

lou031205 Tue 07-Jul-09 13:26:06

DD2 - prem labour at 33 weeks, steroids given but labour stopped with drugs. Delivered at 35+4, due to IUGR, avoided special care at first, but jaundiced so some light therapy.

DD3 - Steroids at 35 weeks, delivered at 38+5.

Concordia Tue 07-Jul-09 13:30:53

DD born 36 weeks induced due to pre eclampsia. I didn't get the injection (although they had talked about it when consdiering incducing me at 34 weeks).
She seemed fine but blood sugar and body temperate were low a very hours after birth so she went in a hot cot and had top ups of formula for a couple of days but no SCBU.

MollieO Tue 07-Jul-09 13:34:53

Ds born at 33 weeks. 2 steriod injections 24 hours apart (was in labour for the second injection). Ds on oxygen and then CPAP for a while although I think that had more to do with underlying health issues than lung development. SCBU for nearly 4 weeks.

DuchessOfAvon Tue 07-Jul-09 13:35:05

Had suspected rupture of membrane at 32 weeks - had both steroid injections at that time. Managed to resist induction and DD arrived in her own good time at 39+6!

No ill effects of steroids to her or me - she is going to be three next month. Eeek!

LeninGrad Tue 07-Jul-09 13:44:24

KittenClawz Thu 09-Jun-16 23:54:15

I just got my first injection today. I have been scared crazy since I got the news about my fetal fibronectin test being positive. Just on Sunday I started having some contractions, but my cervix is closed and I have leaked any amniotic fluid; THANK GOD. I just turned 24 weeks exactly today and tomorrow I get the second shot. I have been thinking of when to do the baby shower, but I have no idea on whether or not do it early. I hear and read nothing bad about these injections, but I still feel off having them done..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now