Talk

Advanced search

Infected stitches?

(6 Posts)
TeenyTinyToria Thu 02-Jul-09 21:19:25

I had a 2nd degree tear 6 days ago, and the stitches seemed to be healing well. The midwives have been out twice and haven't checked them though.

Yesterday and today I've been feeling really sick, tired, and wobbly. I've got greenish browmn slimy stuff behind my stitches and they smell a bit (tmi) - is this likely to be an infection? My episiotomy was infected with my first child, and I seem to remember feeling similar.

differentID Thu 02-Jul-09 21:23:54

It sounds like an infection. is the site feeling very tender and hot?

TeenyTinyToria Thu 02-Jul-09 21:52:09

They don't feel sore at all, but a bit of the stitch line has opened and looks red.

Grandhighpoohba Thu 02-Jul-09 22:21:36

The smell makes me think infection. This happened to me, was healing fine and then this really weird smell developed, slimy discharge, hv sent me straight round to emergency GP, rhey said one of the stiches had popped and got infected, had to take antibiotics. I would phone NHS 24 now, get their opinion tonight, especially as you dont feel well.

TeenyTinyToria Thu 02-Jul-09 23:41:26

I rang Triage at the hospital, and the midwife said that someone will come and see me tomorrow. Thanks for the advice.

Pinkmarshmallow Sat 04-Jul-09 14:18:27

Take a bath with about 5 drops tea tree oil twice a day to ease pain & help infection.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now