Talk

Advanced search

What do Braxton Hicks feel like?

(7 Posts)
readyfornumber2and3 Thu 02-Jul-09 15:26:59

Hi all feel a bit stupid asking this as its my 2nd pregnancy blush
I never got BH with ds so not sure what they feel like, I am 32 weeks with twins and for the last half hour have been having period like cramps and the odd twinge. Its not painful just annoying and I was wondering if its BH or if I should think about ringing the mw?

TIA

ilovemydogandmrobama Thu 02-Jul-09 15:31:08

It's kind of like a tight feeling across your tummy, although my friend said hers went across her back...

rubyslippers Thu 02-Jul-09 15:31:57

mine feel like a tightening - my belly goes rock hard and it is uncomfortable but not painful

if you are worried, or they increase in intensity you should of course ring the midwife

Mammina Thu 02-Jul-09 15:40:08

ah so THAT's what I'm having! I thought it was the baby moving into a tight space blush

blinder Thu 02-Jul-09 22:30:04

yes it's a 'tightening' like a taut balloon under the skin. Now that I am 31 weeks I can see the womb rising up and outwards with a BH.

TMI alert - after an orgasm your womb does the same thing, so next time you have one, see how the surface of your belly feels afterwards. Should be quite firm to the touch.

But they don't particularly feel like period cramps to me. They are totally painless IME and only last a few seconds, although I could easily have two or three in an hour.

If in doubt, give the MW a quick ring to check smile. Have they stopped now?

Wanderingsheep Thu 02-Jul-09 22:34:57

They feel like someone is squeezing you really really tightly but you are being blown up like a balloon at the same time. They can take your breath away at times.

I don't remember them feeling particularly crampy though.

lynneevans51 Sun 26-Jul-09 19:10:12

I had loads from 30 weeks onwards with DC1 and DC2 - indeed, mine were so painful (period pain cramps to the extreme) that every single time I thought it was labour. The key is that they should be absolutely regular (not even a minute out), and intensify and get closer together over time. IF they don't do that, you're unlucky, like me, to have painful BH!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now