Talk

Advanced search

IF you have a fast labour.. is the pain more intense and the more DC you have will they become faster births each time!!

(17 Posts)
twoplusone Wed 01-Jul-09 19:39:57

I ask this as after a cs with my dd with no labour, I have had to VBACS.. Both back to back.. Both labours have been intense, but it has taken 5-6 hrs to get to 3 cm but then I have gone from 3cm to 10cms and delivery of babies in 20mins with DS (3 pushes) and 10mins with DS2 (2 pushes).
I just remember the pain being really intense.. only started thinking about it again recently as expecting number 4 in Feb.(early days I know) BUt i am expecting things to go fast again(maybe wrong of me!!)and i do remember that DS2 was alot more intense than DS1..

Also is it likely that this will be a speedy birth too..
Not looking forward tot he after pains though!!!

Sorry i hope this makes sense as have a feeling it could be more waughling!!!!

jeminthepark Wed 01-Jul-09 19:42:41

I think labour pains are always intense!

- I had a back to back labour too- but my experiences are so different to yours I don't think it would help to add them here.

However, people do say that in general, labours get quicker with each child.

Tidey Wed 01-Jul-09 19:43:20

No experience of CS/VBAC, but labour with DS took 11 hours, DD took 4. The pain was about the same with each though.

jeminthepark Wed 01-Jul-09 19:43:36

I should have added.... It's normal to worry about the labour again smile

ImOverHere Wed 01-Jul-09 19:45:01

I had an induction with DC2 which def made everything faster and more intense but then I've heard that happens with induction anyway.

e3chick Thu 02-Jul-09 13:08:05

I think they do say they get quicker, my midwife said last time that it was the second stage that shortened most. Mine did (not to your level of speediness though), although mine both felt the same in terms of intensity/pain.
I don't think yours can get any faster can they? From 3cms to out in 10 minutes is about as fast as they come.

kathyis6incheshigh Thu 02-Jul-09 13:16:26

Mine certainly weren't more intense the second time round. In fact the main reason we only got to hospital with moments to spare was because I was thinking 'I can't be very far on yet, it doesn't hurt nearly as much as last time.' (Labour was 32 hours the first time, 4 hours the second time).

l39 Thu 02-Jul-09 13:24:27

My quickest labour (hour and a quarter) was induced with a drip and was the least painful of the three. The two spontaneous labours involved serious, constant pain, though, which I found much harder to cope with than the induced labour, where the pain was absent between contractions. I wonder what percentage of labours involve constant pain? I read several books and loads of magazines before I had my first and none of them even suggested there'd be no painfree intervals at all. In my fourth pregnancy now and hoping for a labour more like the third one again though induction is out.

Tamarto Thu 02-Jul-09 13:29:01

My first two labours were very quick and fairly painless (as far as labour goes!) my third however went on forever i thought she was never going to come out, so i think it depends on loads of things.

Bramshott Thu 02-Jul-09 13:32:24

My labour with DD2 was more intense than with DD, in part I think because it all happened very fast (so my body had less time to get used to it IYSWIM). DD1 was 2hrs 15, and DD2 was 1hr 45 so I do seem to shoot them out rapidly (and with some shouting grin)

FabBakerGirlIsBack Thu 02-Jul-09 13:34:14

baby 1 was emergency section.
Baby 2 was 24 hour from start to finish but went 1-10cm in 15 minutes and only pushed for 20 minutes.
Baby 3 was 12 3/4 hour labour from start to finish. 1-10cm in minutes and 7 minutes of pushing.

pagwatch Thu 02-Jul-09 13:41:13

My labours ( and I mean from first contraction) were DS1) under four hours, DS2 under two hours and DD just about an hour all told.

Mine were more intense each time but only because the first labour pain was already yell-inducing - there was no warn up to get me ready IYSWIM.

But having DD within and hour and being able to go home a few hours later made it worth it. I was just glad I lived a five minute drive from the hosp - as it was she was nearly born in the car park grin

My sisters had longer labours and i would never swop but there are negative including it all happening too quickly for any pain relief. I do just get a little hmm at people who equate fast with easy. A quick birth can be intense and therefore tough but you have so much to do and it happens so quickly that there is less time to think about it. And thinking aboutthings is not my forte smile
I am not having any more but, prior to DD I confess I was not looking forward to it but would have been even more apprehensive about a long drawn out labour.

twoplusone Thu 02-Jul-09 17:49:43

.Thanks all for your replies.. very interesting really..
I will just have to wait till Feb till I can comment on number 4.. I will be fine about it all until we go and have a look round the labour ward.. then as I did last time no doubt the colour will drain from my face as I remember everything!!! (MY DH thought I was going to pass out on the hospital visit I had with DS2!! when I remembered e3verything!!)
But thank you all once again. Will defo mention to the consultant re the quick 2nd stages.. just incase the MW on the day doesnt speak English!!..

Reesie Thu 02-Jul-09 19:59:14

dd1 took about 5 hours and was fairly ok. Not too painful at all - I was infact looking forward to doing it again! dd2 in comparison was an hour in total and ridiculously intense and painful - I was in complete shock afterwards.

Indith Thu 02-Jul-09 20:05:01

From first niggles to baby, ds was 4.5 hours and very intense and not that great, I got up and 5 mins later was having continual contractions. Dd (dc2) was 5 hours and not nearly as intense, had a bit of a warm up so to speak.

lucymum2four Sun 05-Jul-09 00:42:42

I have four too, and deffinatly think the faster the more intense but also over quicker just keep that in mind... last baby was bck 2 bck so i know that pain too horrible. but quite strangley i love it. ha and had all 4 without pain relief. hope it goes well. x

ChasingSquirrels Sun 05-Jul-09 01:56:30

ds1: waters went, then 30 mins to first contraction, then 1 hr to 2nd stage, then 1 hr pushing. So 2 hr labour.

ds2: waters went, then 10/15 mins to first contraction, 4/5 contractions and ds2 born within 15 mins. Didn't really have a pushing stage. So 15 min labour max.

Was ds2 more painful? I've got no idea really. I had gas and air with ds1, and it really hurt, both the contractions - which were almost continual, and the pushing. I didn't have any pain relief with ds2 (was unassisted as so quick), and again the contractions really hurt - but there were so few of them - close together but over v v quickly, and I didn't have a pushing stage - I just stod up, put my hand down to check and delivered him.

After pains with ds2 were horrendous though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now