Talk

Advanced search

blood loss after birth

(8 Posts)
neena123 Mon 29-Jun-09 12:20:59

Hello
I am just wondering how long is an 'average' amount of time to be experiencing blood loss after childbirth? i gave birth 4 weeks ago on Friday and am still getting through several pads a day - should I be concerned?

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 12:22:52

blood loss varies can be a few days to 6 + weeks. however, you would expect the blood loss to have settled down after 4 weeks to a whiter/yellower, less bloody loss. are you passing clots, in any pain/discomfort, any fever? have you mentioned it to your MW ?

an increase in loss/ fresh bleeding can be a sign you are doing too much aswell

neena123 Mon 29-Jun-09 12:27:32

it's still fresh blood. think i will call the MW and see what she says

Lulumama Mon 29-Jun-09 12:33:04

yes, if no signs of infection , probably all is well, but certainly i would mention it..

MerlinsBeard Mon 29-Jun-09 12:44:10

I had varying different amounts and kinds of bleeding with my 3. If you are worried please ring your MW.

When you say you are going thru several pads a day still do you mean that your loss is lighter but you are still changing pads regularly? or that you are soaking thru several pads? are you still using the maternity ones?

neena123 Mon 29-Jun-09 13:04:55

it's not so heavy that it's soaking through and no, not on the maternity pads anymore.
just spoken to my GP after having spoken to my MW and they're going to send me for a scan just to be on the safe side.

blondissimo Mon 29-Jun-09 18:39:20

Hi I had this and I think I had an infection as the GP prescribed antibiotics and it all cleared up after I had taken them. I am sure it will be finesmile.

ShowOfHands Mon 29-Jun-09 18:41:01

I bled fresh red blood for 4 weeks until it slowed down and then bled for a further 3 weeks, getting lighter and lighter.

Just so you know, it can be normal but good that they're going to check you out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now