Talk

Advanced search

38wks and sharp pains very low? Ideas

(14 Posts)
carbooty Sat 27-Jun-09 20:44:32

Hi all,

My baby was breech until Monday when I had a successfull ECV, so in theory until next scan it is still head down.

Since then I have been having really painfull (take breath away) sharp pains around what feels like my cervix. Could this just be because the baby is in a different position, and I am not use to the pressure? (think it has been bum down for quite a while)

Or could it be my cervix getting ready for birth? Or something else?

I was induced first time round so have no idea what the start of labour feels like.

Any ideas?

Yeah he's headbutting the cervix, it's a sharp knitting needle up the fanny sensation, really unpleasant but harmless as far as I know. The good news is it's probably getting your cervix ready for the birth (and it means he's running out of room and wants to come out!) It's not labour yet though, sorry.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 27-Jun-09 20:48:39

Could it be a bit of residual tenderness from the ECV?

It could also be the baby's head bouncing up and down on your cervix.

I'd get it checked out by your MW though as it could be a UTI or other infection which can bring on labour if not treated.

fingers crossed the baby stays head down for you and good luck smile

carbooty Sat 27-Jun-09 21:01:05

JATGB, sounds exactly right!! I had to pull over when driving the other day they were so painfull. Do you know how long this could go on for? I am getting excited now, just hope this doesn't go on for ages.

LDC, I did have a urine sample come back inconclusive last week, so have done another one for testing. I go back to see my consultant on Monday so will have to do another then anyway. The ECV although quite uncomfortable, stopped hurting as soon as finished and I really don't feel like it could be that either.

GentlyDidIt Sat 27-Jun-09 21:04:19

Thank you for this thread, I have been having the sharp knitting needle pain too and now I know why!

Well, it'll go on for as long as the baby is head down and in the mood to stretch out! I don't know if it has any correlation with how long he'll stay in there, but you haven't got long to go now anyway have you?

You can try rubbing or patting his bum if you can tell which bit is which, to calm him down. Personally I took to growling "once more and you're being evicted!" grin

justlookatthatbooty Sat 27-Jun-09 21:17:10

does this also happen if the head is not yet engaged? I feel it from time to time but my baby is still not yet engaged.

thanks

I don't know about that. I think it's just literally when the baby braces its feet against the ribs/top of the womb and pushes off, so maybe it doesn't matter whether it's engaged or not? I'm not sure though, sorry.

carbooty Sat 27-Jun-09 21:28:13

I have a consultant appt Monday and will ask!!

bethylou Sat 27-Jun-09 21:33:44

I got the impression it was when the baby was engaging. It happened three times to me and when I next went to the MW I was 2/5 engaged (i.e 3 parts out of 5 in - quite why they use this confusing description I don't know..) so guessed it correlated. Will look forward to hearing the answer. I think I had the baby before I went back to ask!!

Hormonesnomore Sat 27-Jun-09 21:43:53

I was told it was the head engaging - only felt it with dc1 though.

carbooty Mon 29-Jun-09 19:44:28

Hi everyone,

Just thought I would quickly update you all. I saw my consultant this afternoon and she said that the pains I am having are due to the baby head butting my cervix, like you said. She also said the baby isn't engaged, which surprises me as I was convinced that all the pain was down to the head being low down.

Hope this helps any of you experiencing the same x

Good stuff, hope it all goes smoothly for you!

Mammina Tue 30-Jun-09 15:21:52

thanks for this as I've been experiencing the same thing, and it's getting more frequent (am 36+ weeks & my first baby was breech so didn't experience it & wondered whether it was the head trying to move into place)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now