Waters broken - how to avoid augmentation?(29 Posts)
My waters broke at 6pm this evening, and I went into hospital to be checked. I've been sent home, to come in for augmentation on Friday morning, but I want to avoid it at all costs, after a hellish induction with my first child.
I'm having tightenings accompanied by period like pains, but not particularly frequent/regular. Is there anything I can do to help things get moving?
I managed to avoid going into labour after waters going at 34 weeks with DC2, by bed rest (in hospital). I got myself into labour at 35 weeks when they planned to induce me the next morning (as slight signs of infection so he was safer out than in) by walking up and down 6 flights of stairs in the hospital for a few hours.
If your waters really have gone properly (big gush at the time, and still coming out now) then you feel the babies head on your cervix and keeping upright, or swaying on a birthing ball should do it.
Have to add that with DC3 my waters seemed to go, but not as much fluid, and didn't feel the pressure of the babies head. Realised later (after getting my notes) that it was a "hind water leak" from above the babies head, rather than waters properly breaking. I was in hospital on bedrest again for a week, but whatever I did I couldn't get into labour so was induced. (I would turn down induction for a hind water tear if it happened again, but didn't know difference at the time.) I have to say though, that it was a much easier and better induction that I'd had with DC1.
So basically, keep moving! I was told by a midwife NOT to have sex because of introducing infection, but to give DH BJ's to get the necessary chemicals into my body to get it to start! Couldn't face that (esp in hospital!) so ate fresh pineapple instead! I know lots of women find nipple twiddling helps kick things off too.
Good luck - fingers crossed for you....
TBH - I think all you can do is carry on as normal. Try to get some rest if you can. IME there is nothing you can actually do to encourage things. Lots of old wives tales, but nothing proven.
Being already tired out when labour does get going is usually not a good thing.
Hiya, our NCT antenatal teacher told us to keep moving if we wanted to get labour going and to lay down relax if we didn't. I was admitted to the maternity ward once my waters broke as I was having 3 contractions in ten mins. I spent many hours pacing up and down the corridor and kept being told "well done" by a lovely midwife so it must have been the right thing to do!
I also seem to remember being told that sitting on a birthing or gym ball helps as it gets the baby in the right position. Don't have first hand exp though as it wouldn't fit in the car and we didn't have time to deflate it!
Thanks so much for the advice - think I will do a bit of pacing and see what happens. The midwife said I could have sex and baths though - so a bit as I didn't think either were allowed. Not that I'm planning on the sex!
My waters broke at 6pm fri with no pains just backache, I went back to hospital at 9am sat, was 10cm and gave birth at 10am! so this may be it! I sat on my birthing ball took painkillers and had about 3 baths and vomited up my much wanted takeaway!!
Have you had any more pains? I was told that sex was off the menu but not baths?
Sounds promising! I'm just having the odd cramp, it's just like period pains and tightening, nothing like I remember contractions the last time. I'm torn between going to bed and getting some sleep, and having a walk around.
If you can walk up and down stairs try that - really got my labour going.
Oh also there was a big discussion on MN a while ago (last year I think) about prostaglandins in semen stimulating labour - but not from sex, from ORAL sex since they are most effectively absorbed that way. (Obviously you have to swallow - sorry if TMI )
TTT by waters went hours before labour with my last two pregnancies. Both eventually got going without any medical intervention. Don't panic yet! friday morning is ages away
if it were me, I'd go to bed. If you're going to go into labour you'll wake up!
Eww - I won't tell dh that, pania!
Think I will go to bed and see what happens. I'd rather give birth after having a good sleep. Thanks all for the advice.
Any news TTT? Hope you managed to get some sleep!
If you haven't gone in already, in addition to the walking you can try nipple stimulation and accupressure. With nipple stimulation, start with one side, go onto both if need be. Any contractions should not come on too strongly or last longer than a minute. A couple of pressure points are in the web between your thumb and forefinger and on the inside of you leg, about 4 fingers width up from your ankle bone. You can press (use a circular motion) both areas, although tends to work better if someone does it for you, until they are a bit uncomfortable. Hold for 30 seconds, release, hold for 30 seconds, release and so on.
Hope things go smoothly for you when they do take off!
I'm still here - getting contractions every 10 minutes ish, but not very regular or strong. They last about a minute when they do come.
I have to go in tomorrow at 8.30 to be induced - terrified, as I had a horrible experience with my first child's induction. Thanks for the tips, doulalc, will try that!
OK good luck
I have fingers crossed for everything to kick off tonight!
TTT - remember you don't have to be augmented if you don't want it
Do you know if you have any increased risk factors? Are you Group B Strep Positive? Any signs of fever? Have you reached your due date, or are you a bit early still?
I only ask as I was in a similar position with DD. I had tested positive for GBS with a swab, and went into the hospital to be checked over when my waters broke. They wanted to start inducing me there and then! I was really shocked, but managed to persuade them to let me go home for a few hours after being given a dose of IV antibiotics. To cut a long story short, when I returned to the hosp a few hours later with painful contrx, I felt v hassled by the medical staff...they all seemed desperate to augment me
I eventually agreed to the augmentation (and had an epidural) as I was very tired and frightened by the thought of "disobeying" the staff, but in retrospect I think I should have stuck to my guns a bit more. I am sure that if they'd allowed me to relax into it, I would have progressed faster.
That said, my labour (augmentation and all!) was fine in the end. Well, fecking painful and exhausting, but you know what I mean
So the point of this rambling post is stick to your guns if you don't want an augmentation (provided you're not a "high risk" person).
I really don't want to be augmented, but I don't feel like I can say no. I'm due on Saturday, no signs of fever, been 100% healthy all through pregnancy, and not positive for GBS afaik.
They wanted to augment me this morning, but I asked for the extra day, and I don't think they'll be happy if I refuse tomorrow.
I don't mind augmentation as long as it doesn't involve the drip, but the midwife told me that they would use the drip if I was 2-3 cm, otherwise use the gel and then switch to drip later on. I'd rather just have some gel and see if that brings things on naturally.
The drip with my first child caused me to have contractions that never stopped, so I needed an epidural, which then made me need a forceps birth with episiotomy. I wasn't able to breastfeed because ds was so sleepy, I had urge incontinence issues for several months, and my episiotomy burst and took ages to heal. I just don't want to go through all that recovery and pain again, especially not with a toddler to look after as well.
I'm rather scared about tomorrow!
They won't let you have the gel then stop you know
If you have no indications of infection you have every right to wait another day.
Meant to add - I only had one pessary and that was enough for a very fast labour.
You CAN say no. Make sure you have all the information about the potential risks (for either path - augmentation or natural) and how to minimise them and then make your own decision. Try not to feel pressurised into something you're not happy with! As you've described, an augmentation can have its risks too. It's very tricky to know what's the best thing to do....you have my sympathy.
Lots of good luck - it may even all kick off tonight
You can say no, just say sorry Friday doesn't work for me
You'll probably find that they won't want to induce you on Sat or Sun so you can wait til Mon and you might start naturally before then
Best of luck whatever you decide to do
You can also just not go to the hospital - just phone them and say Monday would be better
They can't augment you remotely!
Wondering what happened today? Maybe you have your baby now, yay! Hope it all went smoothly....
I had contractions every 10 minutes from 6pm on Thursday night, and went into hospital at 4.30am on Friday morning. I went from 4cm to fully dilated in about half an hour, and baby Heather Rose was born at 8.03am with no pain relief. So glad I didn't need to be induced, although I did scream for an epidural!
Congratulations! And welcome to the world, baby Heather (cute name).
Join the discussion
Please login first.