Talk

Advanced search

Anyone given birth with a bruised coccyx?

(5 Posts)
LiegeAndLief Wed 24-Jun-09 11:26:47

Sat down very hard on the corner of a table on Saturday and did something horrible to my coccyx. Have just searched some old threads on here and judging by my level of pain I don't think it's broken, but it still hurts constantly and doesn't seem to have eased off much. Was horrified to see that it can take weeks and weeks to heal, as I am 38+4 and don't fancy giving birth like this! Very uncomfortable driving, sitting etc.

Has anyone done the same in late pregnancy? Did the pain of labour mean you didn't notice the coccyx or was it a problem? What can I do?! (epidural seeming like a good idea!).

oopsacoconut Wed 24-Jun-09 11:35:46

I broke my coccyx before I was pregnant but it was still painful to sit on hard things throughout pregnancy. In labour I found that was where I felt all of my pain especially when sitting but I was one of those annoying people who was in labour and didn't feel much. I just thought it was DD's head pushing down. When I was in active labour it hurt but I found it easier in the bath when there was no pressure on it. They broke my waters and it all stopped so had the Synto drip and I was not labouring with a drip and sudden pain. I had an epidural as a result. During labour my coccyx popped out like a tail but when I sat down hard the first time out of bed it went back with a mighty crack and was sore again for about 3 week but is now fine.

You may well have another 3 weeks of pregnancy (sorry you might not want to think of that)and it will heal alot during that time so may not be that painful.

LiegeAndLief Wed 24-Jun-09 12:06:10

Thanks oopsacoconut - the mighty crack sounds horrible! Unfortunately I probably don't have 3 weeks left as I had severe pre-eclampsia in last pg, bp starting to rise now and my consultant wants to deliver on or shortly after my due date - might end up being cs though in which case it won't matter (although might make me even less mobile afterwards).

Glad yours has recovered now smile

weblette Wed 24-Jun-09 12:09:38

I slipped and fell onto my coccyx four days before giving birth and it did definitely make a difference to the pain although I didn't actually have any pain relief other than TENS.

I found that labouring on all fours really helped.

You do have a bit more time to recover, good luck!

raindroprhyme Fri 26-Jun-09 19:40:36

i had fallen down the stairs 4 weeks befor DS1 was born. i gave birth on my left side with my poor mum holding my leg in the air as it took the pressure of my poor bruised coccyx.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now