Talk

Advanced search

Birth pools - some questions

(11 Posts)
franch Fri 13-May-05 13:14:59

1. How do I find out whether the floor of my 2nd-floor flat will support the weight of a full birth pool?

2. Can anyone recommend a birth pool hire company?

3. Any other tips/info?

Thanks

braid Fri 13-May-05 14:14:02

I'm considering getting one myself. I've been on the Active Birth Centre (wwww.activebirthpools.com) site which is useful. They seem to say that the pressure of a birth pool on your floor will always be less than that of an average person. They have an advice line which should be helpful. Friend of mine used this company and was pleased with the service.

franch Fri 13-May-05 14:18:02

Really? Must have a look at the site. Someone on the homebirthuk Yahoo group just told me a pool would be equivalent to 12-15 people standing on the same spot. Since posting, the most useful info I've found is in the 'files' section of the WaterbirthUK Yahoo group - you have to sign up to get access to them.

Will have a look at the ABC site now - thanks

Blu Fri 13-May-05 14:39:18

We got our pool from Splashdown, because they were the cheapest.
They told us that their basic inflatable pool when full was equivalent to 8 people standing on the floor in a group , and that few places would have any problems with one.

Just be careful when emptying not to flood the downstairs neighbours!!!!!

franch Fri 13-May-05 23:30:47

Thanks Blu, that's reassuring

JiminyCricket Thu 26-May-05 19:52:59

planning to get mine from 'born' - a friend has just had one of theirs and her friend before as well - its one of the self-heated filtered hexagonal ones (i mean it stays hot once you've filled it, you don't have to refill every time you get in it) its £320 for four weeks, or £100 per week. My friend has just had her baby, so if I hear any more tips I'll post them!

franch Sun 29-May-05 08:42:22

Thanks JC. I've provisionally booked an oval pool from the Good Birth Co - like the idea of the heated ones but they have to have chemicals added to the water and I'm not really comfortable with that.

WideWebWitch Sun 29-May-05 08:46:22

I liked the self heating one, I thought it was fab as it was already full and ready when I went into labour and could be used before that too - ds and I would quite often get in after school and I found it incredibly relaxing.

incywincy Sun 29-May-05 11:30:20

Hi, I have just bought this one inflatable pool after reading this thread waterbirth . Its been inflated for a few days now and seems fine size wise. Don't think a bigger pool would have fitted in the room.Haven't used it yet though, baby is due Tuesday.

Bexybear Mon 30-May-05 21:30:56

We used gentle waters birth pools which are the ones that heat and filter the water so you dont have to refill it every time you use it. DS was induced (horrible) so didnt give birth in it but used it every day for three weeks before and a couple of times with baby afterwards so it was worth every penny.

the chemicals are very very gentle...they have to be

bossykate Mon 30-May-05 21:43:25

do get the one with automatic heating and filtration if you can - they're fantastic. mine was identical to the gentle water ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now