Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Post partum asthma - how was it for you?

(8 Posts)
JetLi Fri 19-Jun-09 04:43:46

My asthma has been fine/same as normal for the 2nd and 3rd trimester (although a bit worse than usual in the 1st). Its generally very well controlled.

I have no idea what to expect after delivery (am 37+1 now - first pregnancy). I'm wondering whether all the hormonal changes will make it go bananas and therefore whether to bump up the preventor in advance in the same way that I would if I got a cold or started with flu. The midwife was a bit hmm at this, and said "Oh you'll be fine" - I'd like to be at least a bit prepared on the basis that I'll have enough on my plate with a new baby without ending up on A&E on a nebuliser.

So how was your asthma in the first few days/weeks following delivery?

BonzoDoodah Fri 19-Jun-09 12:05:05

My asthma was brilliant during my last pregnancy and this one. Seemed much more controlled - it usually is controlled well by ventolin but I need to take it a few times a week. But after DD was born it did get worse - I was prescrbed a preventer (Becotide) to take once a day. DD was born in August and I caught a bad cold in late Autumn and reacted really badly to it. I ended up in A&E one night with a really scary attack (added to by a panic attack as I was so scared)- never been there before for asthma.
I'm not trying to scare you - but you did ask for real-life examples. So in my experience asthma was better in preg and worse for the few month after. I exclusively BF - I have NO idea if this affected it or not. So if it were me I'd be getting my preventer inhaler out and just being prepared. I'll be monitoring my peak flow better this time too, to try and catch things earlier.
How is yours usually controlled?
Good luck - hopefully mine was an unusual incident and you'll be fine.

JetLi Fri 19-Jun-09 22:17:37

Thanks bonzo - anyone else?

BonzoDoodah Sun 21-Jun-09 20:58:22

bump - anyone?

debliz5 Wed 24-Jun-09 13:42:35

Hi,
Due to my experience,of ending up 6 days in hospital 5 weeks post-partum, I would definitely use a preventor.(But, keep in mind that that happened only after the birth of my third child and I was completely fine with my first two).

Till then, I had never had an asthma attack ever in my life. I used to need a ventoline now and then when I had colds, but nothing serious at all.

When DD2 was 5 weeks old I got the flu, high temperature and such, and I got the worst asthma attack. I could hardly grasp for air, specially while breastfeeding (breastfeeding take a lot of energy). Then I panicked and we called the emergency doc (it was the evening) who came to check me out. She told me I'm in a bad state and that I need to go to hospital. I and my DD2 (who didn't take a bottle) were taken by an ambulance to the hospital in which I stayed for 6 days...

So, I don't mean to frighten you, but I got a very big scare and if you can avoid it by taking a preventor, which is safe to take during pregnany and breasfeeding, perhaps it's best.

Good luck with your pregancy and birth!

grinningbee Wed 24-Jun-09 14:35:48

I'm asthmatic, and had dd 11 weeks ago.

My asthma behaved during pregnancy pretty well, and to be honest, immediately afterwards I wouldn't have known I had it... could be due to the whirlwind that is becoming a first time mum!

Now 11 weeks later it is still normal. I am using my inhalers a touch more, but I would say from experience that it's down to the weather changes as that always happens to me.

Good luck!

Horton Wed 24-Jun-09 14:45:59

I'm asthmatic and have one daughter. My asthma was bloody wonderful during pregnancy (in fact, it almost vanished entirely) but just went back to normal once DD arrived.

JetLi Thu 25-Jun-09 04:57:54

Many thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now