Talk

Advanced search

Being 'favourable' (also posted on Pregnancy)

(3 Posts)
manyhatson Thu 18-Jun-09 15:54:15

Also posted here as wasn't sure which category this would be!

I've just got back from my last midwife appointment before I'm handed over to my hospital consultant. I'm 39+5 with #2 and asked the midwife for a sweep as I'm hoping for a VBAC and our hospital's policy is c/s at 41 weeks, and inductions only under very specific circumstances - I'd like to avoid both of those so I don't want to leave anything to chance more than I have to at the moment.

Anyway, my internal showed a high, closed, posterior cervix i.e. totally not ripe and her diagnosis was 'not favourable'. I can't hardly believe this as I've been waddling with baby's head part engaged for a good few weeks now. I've got piles and a sore tailbone so I can't hardly sit down and my pelvis creaks if I so much as stand up, so I kinda presumed that I would at least be ripening

Which gets me to wondering... How long did it take you from being 'unfavourable' (if you ever had an examination showing that) to being 'favourable' or even going into labour.

lechatnoir Thu 18-Jun-09 16:10:57

With my DS I had internals at 40+5, 41+1, 41+3 and 41+6

The 1st 3 I was not favourable at all and the MW wasn't able to do a sweep (which was the reason for all those internals grin) but at 41+6 (so 3 days after the last attempt) she was finally able to reach & sweep the membrane. Prelabour started later that day but I didn't progress & ended up being induced anyway!

I'd be looking at going for another internal on Monday if I| were you then if things still aren't ready, you'll still have time for another final attempt before you hit 41 weeks.
LCN
(40+6: sore, miserable but just had a sweep wink)

Stigaloid Thu 18-Jun-09 16:14:25

go for a really long walk! I walked lots with DS (about 3 hours a day) and i was favourable at 39w 6. Put DC1 in buggy and stroll your heart out.

Good luck - hope you a have a quick and easy birth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now