Talk

Advanced search

Not been able to pass water since birth :(

(19 Posts)
llynnnn Wed 17-Jun-09 20:42:24

sorry posted this without a title by mistake, try again:

I gave birth last sat to dd2 after being induced. i didnt have forceps etc, but did tear. however since then i havent been able to pass water at all. i have been let out of hospital today with a catheter in for 2weeks. the docs seem to think its due to bruising/swelling/nerve damage of the urethra during the birth. without the catheter i do have the sensation of needing to wee but nothing will come out.

has anyone else had this??? i've never heard of it before and still worried

thanks

fucksticks Wed 17-Jun-09 20:47:17

My brothers ex girlfriend had something similar. I didnt ask too muchj details so cant say for sure it was the same, but she def had catheter in for couple of weeks after coming home. As far as I know all was fine and back to normal after that.
Hope all turns out ok for you too. x

thirtysomething Wed 17-Jun-09 20:48:44

i had it with both babies so i really sympathise. Apparently my tubes etc are all very close together and bladder etc got very bruised during labour. I had the same sensation of needing to wee that you describe - it lasted a few days/week with me but I wasn't allowed home till I'd been able to pee on my own. It was awful and I remember crying with baby no 2 because I thought I'd be incontinent or never be able to pee again! But it does get better - it just takes a bit of time and patience. In the mean time enjoy your baby - congratulations!

GruffaloMama Wed 17-Jun-09 21:06:32

Congrats on your little one. I had exactly this problem and I am sending you a very big virtual hug. It's horrible and I also had no idea it could happen. Have they given you a 'leg bag' - provides at least a little dignity?

Also, although after the first fortnight I could pee a little bit I wasn't fully emptying my bladder. Instead of sending me back with another catheter bag my LOVELY urinary nurse showed me how to self catheterise for a few days until it was all back to normal. Sounds horrendous but was actually fine and much more comfortable than a bag.

One tiny warning - any catheter can increase your risks of urinary infection - if you start feeling dodgy get your GP/midwife to check that you don't have an infection.

HTH - BTW I now have no after effects (no leaking etc, so it really does sort itself out).

fingermousey Thu 18-Jun-09 06:44:01

You poor thing you have my full sympathy. I had urinary retention after both my c-sections but with the second one it was much worse - I thought the ability to pee would never come back but it did. Try not to worry and come and talk if you need to.

FrogmellaMoonbeam Thu 18-Jun-09 07:02:15

I had this after DS and as you say I had never heard of it before. I was fully prepared for struggling to poo but never imagined there would be any problem weeing. I was kept in hospital for nearly a week and then sent home with a flip-flow for during the day and a bag to put on at night. When I went to see the consultant she wasn't impressed that I had been discharged with a catheter permanently in as she said my bladder would never be able to retrain itself so I was taught to self-catheterise which as a PP said really isnt as bad as it sounds. For me it was 5.5 weeks before I managed to go on my own again and i was still having to catheterise afterwards to make sure I was empty but according to my consultant it is perfectly normal for it to take much much longer to recover she had told me she wouldnt be surprised or worried if I was till catheterising 6 months down the line.

I have just had my 2nd DC 11.5 weeks ago and havent had any trouble this time but saying that, I was absolutely paranoid about it happening again and me not recovering as well this time so I insisted on being catheterised regularly during labour and particularly just before I started pushing so I dont know whether that helped.

chaosisawayoflife Thu 18-Jun-09 12:09:42

I had a similar problem after my lo was born, although not quite as bad I don't think. I could pee a little after she was born, but not much, and about 18 hours after she was born I was rolling around in agony in the bed after the midwife came to check my uterus was contracting. She barely touched me and it was agony. They put an in-out catheter in and drained 2.5 litres. They said if I didn't go within the next 6 hours I would have to have a proper catheter, I couldn't so they put one in. I had it for about 36 hours in hospital but then they took it out and I gradually managed to pee again. It was fairly unpleasant and I really feel for you having it for longer. I hope it gets sorted for you soon.

llynnnn Thu 18-Jun-09 12:15:24

thanks for all your replies. sorry you've all been through this too, but good to hear I'm not alone and that it WILL get better!

they didnt mention self-cathertising, is that were you have to put it in and out yourself? dont know if i could do that, but i have been worried that after 2 weeks my body may have 'forgotten' how to do it itself??

what a nightmare!!

TotalChaos Thu 18-Jun-09 12:15:32

you poor thing. I had this too, was in agony before they cathetered me, but I was lucky, I only needed a bag for about 2 or 3 days, and I had proper sensation etc within a week. Nobody ever bothered to explain why it happened, this thread has been very informative! hope things improve for you soon.

Mamulik Thu 18-Jun-09 13:57:03

I had the same after operation (nothing to do with birth), your will learn when to go to toilet, just give it a time. it was hard for me too, because I used catheter for 5 days, and you used it for 2 weeks. dont worry.

SouthMum Thu 18-Jun-09 14:23:21

Hi, I had this due to epidural / spinal (also had 3rd degree tear) but I managed to go on my own after about 3 - 4 days. Exactly the same as you - had the sensation I wanted to pee but when I went it literally dribbled out. I remember crying in the toilet on the mat ward and asking my DP if he would still love me if he had to change my bag for me for the rest of our lives lol.

A consultant doc came to see me after my crying episode and assured me that even if there were problems an op could fix them. Doc explained that the nerves and muscles can be damaged by the birth or can be 'frightened' by all the anaesthetic, or both.

You'll be weeing like a racehorse soon, trust me smile

llynnnn Thu 18-Jun-09 15:07:55

thanks ladies, your comments are very reassuring. I also keep asking dh if he still loves me even tough i look like an old lady at the mo

TheProvincialLady Thu 18-Jun-09 15:17:27

llynnn I had retention after DS1 but it was much worse after DS2. Like you I was discharged with a catheter and I had to keep it for 3 weeks. Mine was strapped to my leg and I used to feel soooooo unattractive. No one ever noticed though.

Have they explained to you what the next stage is? Are they going to take it out in 2 weeks and see if you manage to go, or are they going to put in a valve so your bladder gets used to having to go again? Whilst it is crap having a catheter etc, actually the hospital is doing the right thing because if you don't let your bladder recover from the retenion it may be permanently damaged.

I was able to wee normally when they took my catheter out after 3 weeks by the way, and apparently the vast majority of people can.

In the meantime you MUST be vigilant about infection. Keep yourself as clean as it is humanly possible to be - have a bath or two every day - and if you feel any pain or your wee is cloudy or even if you just feel slightly under the weather then you MUST see someone for antibiotics. TBH it is almost inevitable that you will get an infection (that is what MW and GP told me).

It is not glamourous but it won't last forever, honestsmile

llynnnn Thu 18-Jun-09 16:44:35

as far as i know they are going to take it out after the 2 weeks and see what happens. they havent mentioned a valve?? that sounds painful!

i am on antibiotics already as at first they thought it must have been caused by an infection. this has now been ruled out but they said to keep taking them.

Thanks for sharing your experience

fingermousey Fri 19-Jun-09 06:46:10

Did they say why two weeks? I was on a one week wait and if it didn't work then I would then have been on a two week wait.

I remember feeling like you, it's such a shock to wear a catheter and makes you feel like an old lady and you can't help thinking 'what if'.

You will be fine, you might even start to realise the ability to pee is coming back and that will make you feel much better. For me it was when I did a bowel movement some wee came out even with the catheter in place.

I did feel though that if the catheter had been left in too long I would forget how to go. That feeling was very strong. Don't be afraid to go and make a fuss if you have any concerns.

Sophie1106 Fri 19-Jun-09 09:42:38

I was discharged yesterday afternoon after giving birth on wed. I had an epidural which I think basically meant that things were getting squashed and bruised without realising it. So I had a catheter for 2 days but in my hospital they don't let you out until you can pee. The reason is your bladder will lose it's ability and won't shrink back unless you can do it for yourself. I was lucky that I had sensation enough to go but I think self catheterising should be an option for you instead of just telling you to go home with a bag. Give them a ring after a few days if no sensation comes.

llynnnn Tue 23-Jun-09 18:42:03

sorry to hear you had the same problem Sophie, i am still worried about losing the sensation and have spoken to the consultant again but he is adament that it must stay in for 2 weeks to give any bruising/damage etc time to totally heal. I have one week left now and its really getting me down, cant wait until its gone

misscreosote Tue 23-Jun-09 19:08:51

Hi there - just to say that I had this too. Couldn't go for a wee after the catheter was removed after birth under general, in absolute agony, worse than labour (!) until they re-catheterised me. Had to keep it in for 2 weeks as well - I remember having to empty it every 2 hours to retrain my bladder. Surprised so many other mumsnetters have had the same - I had loads of midwives clucking round my bed going 'ooo, I've never seen that before' and not knowing how to change the catheter, until one who used to work on an OAP ward came along!

After 2 weeks, I gradually got the urge to pee again, and all was absolutely fine (a bit painful to start with), and have no problems now. So it WILL get better, and its so much better that your bladder is being retrained rather than suffering with long term incontinence problems.

XxRachelxX Tue 04-Aug-09 17:42:40

I am currently suffering with this...after birth I was encouraged to drink 2 jugs of water as I had been unable to wee more than 50ml which then stretched my bladder and I was in agony. When the midwife eventually catheterised me they found 1700ml in my bladder. I was sent home with the catheter after 4 days and managed to tug on it (stood on the tube when crouched on floor unloading the washing machine - ouch) which then cause bleeding. I then went back into hospital so they could flush me with iv fluids and watch the catheter...after that I was able to wee ok but 3 days after being discharged without the catheter I went back to hospital (yesterday) and my bladder is still retaining urine after a wee and I have yet another uti. I have now got the leg bag back on and have to go back Thurs to try again.

If still no progress I am going to have to learn to self catheterise and the thought of it fills me with dread...what if, when I get home I can't get it in? Or even worse...can't get it out?

I know this is an old thread and not even sure if those of you woh have already replied will see this new post but thought I'd try and reply anyway.

Rach xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now