Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know anything about sweeps please??

(12 Posts)
pandagirl03 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:02:08

Hiya, i'm 39 weeks tom. I seen my midwife today and she did a sweep on me. Now i had a section with my dd and never went into labour at all so not sure what this all means. Reading my notes and from what my midwife said she said my cervix was very favourable, and at the very front, was also very very soft. But baby is engaged 2/5. Now im not sure if this is good, normal, or i still have alot of waiting left. Any thoughts of knowledge would be good please. smile

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 22:09:19

Message withdrawn

aristocat Tue 16-Jun-09 22:15:02

hiya, i had a sweep at 40+2 days with DD at 3pm and baby arrived at 7pm shock

didnt expect this but was grateful to midwife - dont they do a fantastic job?

lechatnoir Tue 16-Jun-09 22:29:44

Well favourable is definitely a good sign as is a soft cervix so I'd be surprised if it didn't move things along but don't be too disappointed if the baby's not quite ready.
LCN

pandagirl03 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:32:42

Thanks very much, i should of asked few more questions like what does favourable mean etc, but didn't think at the time. Hoping things get a bit of a move on. smile

doulalc Tue 16-Jun-09 22:41:34

All is normal....it would still be normal if your cervix was firm and baby was not as far down.

At this point it is basically anytime....could be tomorrow, could be in a couple of weeks.

Much of the time, if a sweep is going to work, it will do so within a couple of days. She may or may not decide to do another. I've known women who have had several with no results....others, like aristocat, who it seemed to do the trick for.

Since you aren't at your due date yet, there really is no reason to try and get things going....other than if you were perhaps trying to avoid a medical induction.

Either way, hope you don't have to wait too much longer!!....

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 22:43:04

Message withdrawn

pandagirl03 Tue 16-Jun-09 22:59:29

Thanks very much for the advice everyone. She did the sweep because i had a section with dd, i'm trying for a vbac this time. She would only do it if favourable because they dont want me going over because our hospital wont give me any other sort of induction because of me having a section before. So i dont want to go over, they will also only let me go 10 days over. I know people on here will say i can refuse etc but dh will not allow that because his ex had serious complications from going overdue etc which resulted in her nearly dying.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 16-Jun-09 23:17:17

Message withdrawn

pandagirl03 Tue 16-Jun-09 23:24:54

Hiya had c/s because dd was breech and would not turn so not really a medical problem. They would not let me try and deliver her. Good job they never because she was still stuck firm when they did c/s it took alot of them to push and pull poor dd out.

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Jun-09 00:00:49

Message withdrawn

aristocat Wed 17-Jun-09 11:44:06

to pandagirl enjoy these last few days before the big day.

best wishes to you and your baby.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now