Talk

Advanced search

Interesting article on today's Guardian webpage re NHS cutting number of C Sections...

(7 Posts)
justlookatthatbooty Tue 16-Jun-09 16:51:23

Thought this was interesting....

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2009/jun/16/caesarean-elective-section-g iving-birth

Tamlin Tue 16-Jun-09 18:04:56

I wince every time I hear about the NHS cutting down on the number of sections - I'm still waiting to see a consultant to hear about my options for my second birth, and while I'm still undecided about what I want, I don't want to be told that they won't consider a section because it's too pricey.

It's all very well to bang on about the trauma of a caesarian, but for those of us who experienced serious damage down south with a previous vaginal delivery, the risks of a section start to compare rather favourably. I've been told by one mother I know that she couldn't walk for two weeks after her section - well, neither could I after my 'natural' vaginal birth, and I couldn't sit comfortably for months. If things go as they did with my first birth, I'll be looking at another operation for reconstructive surgery anyway. hmm

When vaginal births go badly, they go REALLY badly. And personally, I don't think that the survivors of that sort of fun experience should be forced to go through it again, NHS targets be damned.

justlookatthatbooty Tue 16-Jun-09 19:20:09

Hi Tamlin

I'm sorry to hear of your bad experience with your last birth and agree that you should be allowed to choose your mode of delivery this time 'round.I had a section and it was horrendous, suffered severe PND for over a year and still experiencing abdominal/scar pain now, along with poor scar healing which has disfigured my abdomen (not just vanity, very uncomfortable) But that's not to say that means sections are not the way to go for those who feel they are due the choice for a healthier, less damaging birth second time round. Just wanted to give a bit of support your way. Hope you get what you need and want and that it all goes well for you.

x

doulalc Tue 16-Jun-09 22:10:18

It is interesting. Obviously each situation needs to be addressed individually as to what the "best" course of action would be. Reasons for the previous surgery, as well as what may currently be going on in the subsequent pregnancy will of course play a role.

There is no doubt surgery is done more than is truly medically necessary, and as was mentioned in the article, the number of first time c-sections needs to be addressed.

Certainly the surgery is necessary in some circumstances....benefits versus risks for both modes of delivery need to be taken into account.

I would like to think that they are looking more at women who had a first section for something like a breech birth, as an example. This mother would be a good candidate for a VBAC. Unfortunately there likely will be those who do have numbers to meet and that will influence the recommendations of some.

fishie Tue 16-Jun-09 22:24:16

oh goodie what fun that manchester nhs have chosen to publicise this.

as if we need more propaganda about how women choose to give birth / have no choice whatsoever (delete as applicable)

StarlightMcKenzie Wed 17-Jun-09 00:36:57

Message withdrawn

Tamlin Wed 17-Jun-09 08:37:44

Starlight, YES! I'll bet that fewer women left to labour alone while flat on their backs = fewer interventions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now