Talk

Advanced search

36 weeks, 3/5 engaged, lots of tightenings, 2nd baby!

(13 Posts)
Beccabump Tue 16-Jun-09 12:08:33

Who wants to bet how long I have left??

On a serious note I thought 2nd+ babies generally didn't engage until labour started?

Anyone else had experience with this?

slushy06 Tue 16-Jun-09 12:15:18

Hi becca I have been wondering to as I am 36 weeks 2nd pg and my dd is 4/5 engaged my ds didn't engage past 3/5 till labor . I have been having lots of what I can only describe as stretching pains in my cervix don't know if they mean anything. My dd has been low all the way through. But I can't help hoping this means I wont hit my due date.

Danceswithchickens Tue 16-Jun-09 13:37:24

I had similar with DD2 & she was 2 weeks early. I would make sure you have your bag pack, just in case !

madwomanintheattic Tue 16-Jun-09 13:46:17

ooh, about 4 weeks? grin

with dc2 i spent the last two weeks practically climbing the walls with braxton hicks so strong i was convinced i was in labour... and a show at 38 weeks lol. i even rang the hospital to double check they could take me if i went into labour (we were in hicksville) grin

i think the clue is in your wording though - 'generally' - there aren't any real rules...

might be tomorrow, but it might be in 6 weeks grin

good luck! x

Hoorayhenrietta Tue 16-Jun-09 14:01:32

Agree with madwoman - with no 2 had strong Braxton Hicks for about a month and was 3/5 engaged. I actually 'felt' like I was going to drop any minute but she was 6 days overdue and arrived after a membrane sweep. Mind you, the labour was only about 2 hours and I only pushed for 15 mins winkbefore she popped out! I'd actaully got to the hospital to find I was 9 cms dilated!!! Phew....so anytime really but best to have bag ready - just in case!

Beccabump Tue 16-Jun-09 17:18:19

I guess it's good my mw has already said she'll start doing sweeps at 39 weeks then!

mogwai Tue 16-Jun-09 17:22:13

I'm 40+2 with baby number 2.

Head has been "deeply engaged" for weeks - midwife can no longer feel it.

Braxton hicks for weeks!

I hope you ARE early but please don't count on it!!

justlookatthatbooty Tue 16-Jun-09 19:22:23

How do you ladies know how engaged your babies are? Just an external feel or an internal too? I'm having a 35 or is it 36 already? week check up this Friday and have been feeling baby much lower in pelvis these days, but wonder if it's just the size increase bringing more pressure.
Mogwai, sounds like it won't be long now....wishing you all the best.

x

slushy06 Tue 16-Jun-09 20:02:36

I asked the mw where baby was and she told me baby position and that he was engaged.

pippa251 Wed 17-Jun-09 13:05:24

Hi I'm 3/5 engaged with first baby at 36 + 2 does it make a difference with first or second baby- should i be expecting sooner? or just sit back and enjoy the pineapple

maxbear Wed 17-Jun-09 14:29:25

My second engaged at 37 weeks which was weird as my first didn't engage till 40 w. Didn't have him until a few days before my due date though. It is totally normal to have lots and lots of bh with your second baby, head may well unengage again before the day anyway.

If you have a sweep at 39 weeks it will just make your bh stonger and more frequent without necessarily doing anything. I would question any mw who routinely does sweeps at 39 weeks. I would do one at 40 weeks with a very good reason if a mum requested one but I would try and encourage her to wait until 5 or 7 days over as it is so much more likely to work.

Now that I have said all this you will probably deliver tomorrow now! grin

bethoo Wed 17-Jun-09 14:32:41

because your uterus is already stretched from previous preg the baby will engage and disengage throughout the preg.
remember the baby is classed full term at 37 weeks so any day now!
but i think you will prob have the baby 3 days early!

Beccabump Wed 17-Jun-09 15:36:11

maxbear midwife is keen to help me get going to avoid induction at all costs! I have GD and the hospital consultant is very anti-homebirth (trying to see another next time!), I have agreed to go to hospital if he feels it is absolutely necessary but want to go into spontaneous labour if I can! I had and induction with DD and it failed day after day till I actually went naturally, then because I was 'in the system' I was against the clock the whole labour and ended up with ARM and drip

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now