Talk

Advanced search

40 + 4 regular contractions to irregular contractions-any ideas?

(11 Posts)
Sophie1106 Mon 15-Jun-09 16:23:23

Hello all

Just wondering if anyone has experienced anything similar? I am 4 days over the EDD and woke at 4am to regular period cramps every 10 minutes. However they stopped after an hour. Since then I have been having the odd pain sometimes 2/3 together other times 1 and then nothing. Spoke to MW this morning and confirmed because i am also showing that it was a warm up this morning and definitly labour has started. But slightly confused over why I am still getting them but now irregular. Can anyone shed any light?

Thankx x

blondissimo Mon 15-Jun-09 16:46:28

I started getting contractions on the Sunday night at about 11pm and my baby was born on the Tuesday morning at 6am! Throughout this time my contractions went from 4 minutes apart at the beginning, to 15 minutes apart the following day, 10 minutes apart the following night, and then rapidly went to 3 minutes apart and very painful and had to get to the hospital pdq!
IME I haven't spoken to anyone whose labour was textbook.
It sounds like you are in early labour, so if I were you I would rest, eat well and if possible try and get some sleep.
Good luck and please keep us posted! smile

Sophie1106 Mon 15-Jun-09 17:53:04

Thanks for your reply blondissimo. I am reassured by this. Wasn't sure whether or not to ring hospital tonight as show is starting to get heavier,a bit like a light period but pains are very irregular like one every half hour-hour or so. I had thought I would just chill out and wait and see what happens like you said and if any further developments will ring MW in morning. Thanks smile

blondissimo Mon 15-Jun-09 18:40:57

You will probably find that things will all kick off when you get in bed tonight - the hospital said this to me, and I thought "what a load of nonsense - what difference does it make what time of day it is?", but they were right and I had no sleep all night - so if you can grab even half an hour's sleep inbetween contractions, I beg you to do it! Have your waters broken yet?

mogwai Mon 15-Jun-09 19:49:55

I started with contractions around midnight on a Thursday night/Friday morning with my first baby - made the mistake of not going to bed, stayed up all night timing them (I was 41+4).

They were all over the place - timings from every nine minutes to every 3 minutes.

When they regularised at every 5 mins and I was in agony, we went to hospital (which was 6pm on the Friday).

I was sent home. We went back in the early hours of Saturday morning. She was born Saturday afternoon at 4.30pm.

That's what you call a long latent phase!

Sophie1106 Mon 15-Jun-09 21:13:03

It's odd isn't it? I think I'm going the same way to be honest. I've been timing since 6pm and they've gone from every 15 minutes to every 5 minutes (hubby loaded car up at this point) back to every 15 minutes again. I called hospital and they said not to come in until I was at every 3-4 minutes lasting a minute or more. My waters haven't gone yet. I think it's going to be a long night! I've just sent hubby off to get me some sweets as already in need of extra sugar!

lechatnoir Mon 15-Jun-09 23:26:24

good luck & hope it's a nice quick & easy one for you grin

blondissimo Tue 16-Jun-09 06:48:55

Just wondering if you are still there Sophie? Hopefully you are sitting with your back against some plumped up cushions holding your newborn............smile

blondissimo Thu 18-Jun-09 15:36:38

Just wanted to keep this active as am curious to find out how you got on? Hope all is well with you and the baby xx

Sophie1106 Fri 19-Jun-09 09:54:17

Hi thanks for keeping thread open. I had my little girl on wed morning. Unfortunately it wasn't really a quick easy one but I did give birth naturally. 18 hours in the end.

On the tues a.m I went to delivery to get assessed as had been having irregular contractions all night. She offered me a sweep as she said I was 2 cm dilated. By 11 am my waters had gone and I started active labour at about 3pm. It took until 9pm to get to 7cm and by this time I'm afraid I was climbing the walls for pain relief as the contractions were full on every minute but no further dilation. At this point had an epidural after the pethidin had worn off which meant I was constantly monitored all night hooked up to syntocinen to help dilation. Was finally fully dilated at about 6am when baby's progress started to slow. They decided to deliver me without intervention though and I pushed her out myself with a 2nd degree tear. V. pleased though as at one point they said they may have to c section me depending on whether hormones worked or not.

blondissimo Fri 19-Jun-09 11:33:34

Fantastic news and congratulations!smile! Sounds like you had a very long labour in total seeing as you were having contractions on the Monday morning!
Hope you and baby are well and that you are coping xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now