Overdue with number 2, would like to hear your experiences of induction(12 Posts)
I am now 40+3 with DC number 2
I had DC number 1 at 39+4
I probably mistakenly thought you were less likely to go over with number 2 and certainly less likely to need induced
If you had DC one early/on time and went overdue with number 2, did you need induced?
If so, how was the induction? Did you deliver vaginally?
I will be induced at term+12. Am I mad to accept induction this early?
I have been induced 3 times with each dd, at 41+6, 41+ 3 and 42 weeks thereabouts. No query about dates of pg - just never seem to go into labour. I have a posterior cervix which may mean pressure is never put in the right place.
First time required synto drip etc with epi but still delivered normally without other intervention.
Second and third time I just needed a prostin pessary and I was off!
tbh by term plus 12 I was crawling walls (and had SPD) and desperate to deliver. I know lots of people are anti induction, but I knew I was ready and baby was ready, there was no benefit in delaying for me.
If you are sure of your dates then I think induction is fine, though I know lots of MNetters favour monitoring. I never went into labour naturally and suspect I never would have.
btw - my friend was induced with her 3rd, aftr two early deliveries - so no ryhme or reason there!
Hi my first was a natural onset labour at 40+3, my second was induced at 40+14 and was a great birth, far better than first birth. I personally didn't find the contractions any more painful and delivered a 10lb6oz baby vaginally with just gas and air. After just a 1hr50min labour. Would happily be induced this time too although I'm hoping not to go overdue, obviously!!
I went into labour with #1 12 days overdue but did not get into established labour after many hours so had synto drip and epidural.
#2 was spontaneous but a weeks overdue and a fab birth.
#3 was induced after my waters started leaking and labour did not start. It was done with a prostin and waiting for many hours as the midwifes were all too busy to do anything else. When labour did start it was very fast (1.5 hours) and very very painful probably as no real build-up. Not sure if the speed was due to the induction or would have happened anyway as my second labour was only 4.5 hours (but much less painful).
I would not be induced again except under extreme circumstances!
Since there apparently isn't a medical reason to induce you, you could ask if they will give you until you are 42 weeks. You aren't really "overdue" until after that time. Right now you are in a perfectly normal time frame for giving birth.
They may do a pelvic exam in the next week (if you even get that far!!) to see if there are changes to your cervix. The more change that is determined, the better likelihood that an induction will go more smoothly.
I'm 40 + 2 today so you have my sympathies & lots of labour vibes wink]
Following 4 attempts at sweeps (3 failed 1 actual) I was induced at 42 weeks with DS - synto drip then artificial membrane rupture followed by quite a long, hard labour for which I eventually had an epidural however, I delivered vaginally without assistance (or stitches ) and I think a lot of the pain was a combination of him being back-to-back & me lying in bed for 24+hrs!
If this one is as stubborn as my first I will be induced in hospital at 42 weeks - I'd happily be induced earlier as it is torture going so overdue & I have SPD so can barely even hobble now, but, I'll be holding out as long as possible (42 wks) in the hope of staying at the midwife let unit who are happy to have me up to 40+13.
In your situation, I'd be inclined to have an examination & sweep at around 40+10 and if things didn't look favourable, I'd just get on & be induced at 40+12.
lechatnoir.....just be sure you don't lie in bed for 24 hours again! Last place to be if you aren't comfortable there, things aren't progressing, or you don't have to be...
Fingers crossed things get going soon for you and roseability!
Dd (my first) was born naturally at 40+6 (labour just under 12 hours).
Ds was induced due to gestational diabetes. Induction started at 40+5, gave birth 40+9. You can read all about it here.
I really don't think I can hold out until T+14. I really understand that it is better to go into labour naturally and that inductions carry a risk but I am exhausted mentally and physically. I have been having cramps, backache and really strong BH on and off for 2 weeks now. It has been keeping me awake at night. I have a DS aged 3 to look after.
I do feel that because I delivered DS vaginally and he was big, I should be able to do it this time even with induction
I have a midwife appt on Tuesday. She will examine and sweep me. Certainly if my cervix has made favourable changes and I still haven't gone into labour at T+12, I think I will go for the induction.
I was induced early in both pregnancies due to IUGR and tbh it wasn't that bad. Went into labour straigthaway, painful but not unbearably so. Delivered dd vaginally on TENS and gas and air, so pain can't have been that bad. Only problem was, I did tear and needed episiotomy, so was sore afterwards, particularly as I was badly stitched.
Ended up having a section with ds, but that was because his heartbeat went down (only 36 weeks), not because I couldn't cope with induction pain.
Join the discussion
Please login first.