38 plus 5 and getting increasingly worried about the birth. Was told by mw yesterday that I have suspected polyhydramniosis (measuring 41 weeks at nearly 39), plus she could feel lots of fluid. Have been measuring one week throughout entire pregnancy, so this is first time mw has suspected it. I have a consultant appointment booked for next Thurs, but I (and mw) suspect I'll give birth before then. Question is, what does this 'suspicion' imply for my birth plan? Have booked doula, and am planning on active birth, using pool for pain relief. From what I've read about confirmed polyhydramniosis, labours would usually be monitored (so constant EFM)which is what I'm trying to avoid. I feel in no mans land really as nothing has been confirmed, but a note has been made in my notes of fluid. I don't really want to have to wait until I'm in labour to have to explain it all, but feel I have no choice as no drop in clinic here. Just worried about my labour being directed in such a way when there may be nothing suspect! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Unless they scan you they cannot be certain of excess fluid, and they will not be able to alter the plans without that. I was measuring big with dd, and they suspected this, but never got beyond suspision stage, I did make a big flood when the waters broke though. The consultant may want to check you next week, but he may not.
From what I had during my pgy I had to be measuring 4 weeks ahead before they investigated with a scan, and I got to a maximum of 3 weeks bigger than dates so never got investigated. As I got closer to due date I was not growing as much, but they never worried as I was always ahead of dates in size (does that make sense at all?)
From what you say I don't see why if you have been consistantly 1 week ahead for dates that they would scan you, unless there was less movement being felt by you, or some other reason. But I could be wrong, perhaps someone else here will be able to help more with this?
Thanks RAINBOW, that's really helpful. I think it's the fact that I'm sure I'll give birth BEFORE the appointment that's worrying me. As it's a suspician and not a diagnosis hopefully there won't be any implications for birth plan, but there doesn't seem to be an obvious person for me to ring up and ask/ Supervisor of midwives perhaps?