Talk

Advanced search

DID YOUR SWEEP MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE ?

(24 Posts)
milkmonster Thu 11-Jun-09 16:33:22

How many women noticed nay sort of development after having a sweep? Just had mine today at 40+ 4 days, but apparently my cervix is still not softened yet, so not expecting much to happen.

This is my second baby, straightforward pregnncy and birth last time (2 years ago). Straighforowrd again this time so far. Alwys aware dreaded Induction date not far away!

lizzyboo Thu 11-Jun-09 17:52:21

I had two sweeps and another two that were un-official (not put in my notes) but I begged for them as I knew I was having a giant and he didn't want to come out. 2 and a half weeks past the due date had to be induced and he was 10lb. Don't really think the sweep did anything. Nor did sex, pineapples, curry, driving down bumpy roads or jumping up and down.

coppertop Thu 11-Jun-09 18:16:37

I've had 3 sweeps and tbh they made no difference at all.

Deemented Thu 11-Jun-09 18:18:13

I had a sweep at 4.30, then at 5.30 i was back at the hospital with contractions every three mins. DD was born at 12.55am the next morning. Guess you could say my sweep was effective...

twinklegreen Thu 11-Jun-09 18:32:12

With ds I had 3 sweeps at 40+4, 41, and 41+6 didn't work and ended up being induced at 42wks. So not much success for me I'm afraid!

CarGirl Thu 11-Jun-09 18:34:40

No x 9 (over 3 pregnancies)

thirtysomething Thu 11-Jun-09 18:34:47

had a sweep with first baby at 36-ish weeks as had pre-eclampsia and they wanted to get things moving - they said I'd already started dilating a bit (had lost the plug). TBH it hurt a bit and I bled a bit afterwards; DS was born with little intervention the following day so I think it did speed things up a little...

PlantASeedWatchItGrow Thu 11-Jun-09 18:36:15

I had a sweep at 39 weeks as I was being induced at 39+5 anyway, It didn't do anything TBH, although it did let me know what I was in for with the internal examinations that were to come with the induction wink shock

Disenchanted3 Thu 11-Jun-09 18:36:30

yup, had sweep, 39+4 and went into labour that night, had DD early morning,

was 2 cms on examination though at sweep.

SarahL2 Thu 11-Jun-09 18:39:43

Yep, sweep made me really sore and uncomfortable until the gel they gave me started labour. angry

Anyone comes at me with a gloved finger this time and they're getting a slap!

ilovesprouts Thu 11-Jun-09 18:43:32

no i has 2 sweeps and made no difference at all also broke waters x2[tried]and two pesseries in the end had a cs wink

Kutner Thu 11-Jun-09 18:47:39

No, it was a pointless uncomfortable procedure tbh.

LeninGrad Thu 11-Jun-09 19:18:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

katylou25 Thu 11-Jun-09 19:50:26

I had one with ds2 whcih very helpfully started off a false labour that lasted 8 days - of constant 15 mins apart contraction!!! - before he finally put in an appearance! Noone is ever coming near me agian!!

summerbird Thu 11-Jun-09 20:51:38

I had an attempted one on Tuesday at 40+6, but my cervix was closed and too far back for her to 'get at'.

I am now 40+8 and off for another one tomorrow, i am wondering whether they will in fact induce me as i will be 40+9. Not looking forward to the actual sweep though as i have only heard positive stories about them on this thread!

Good luck milkmonster

expatinscotland Thu 11-Jun-09 20:55:42

it did for me.

i had one at 40 weeks exactly because my blood pressure was a little higher than desired.

LargeGlassofRed Thu 11-Jun-09 20:59:54

yep three times all at 41 weeks,
I was already 2 to 3 cm each time though.
Due to have another sweep in a couple of weeks if I go that far smile

LovelyRitaMeterMaid Thu 11-Jun-09 21:00:40

I had one at 40+3. DD born within 24 hours.

bacon Fri 12-Jun-09 11:53:40

I had loads and on my last 8 weeks ago I had a couple of bruttle sweeps. Nothing...but only viable if your cervix is central and ripe. You need to be 1.5 - 2cm so that MW can get her fingers through to sweep under the babys head.

The sweep in hospital was so bruttle I was screaming the doc was pushing so hard and stretching. Tears or what!!

jemart Fri 12-Jun-09 11:56:34

It did exactly what the midwife said it would, released lots more hormones. There followed a day of extreme grumpy moodiness and then contractions started early the following morning.

nickschick Fri 12-Jun-09 12:01:04

Completely irrelevant but might make you laugh grin

My heavily pregnant neighbour was almost due and becoming increasingly uncomfortable - her poor poor dh was always in trouble with her - he was being a diamond forever fussing over her and pampering her.

Well I saw him early one morning - how is she? i asked.

Well the midwifes coming to give her a sweep he says all flustered.

Thats good says i

is it? he asked i just dont see how a clean floor will help her start labour.

roflmao.....grin

mogwai Fri 12-Jun-09 12:04:07

apparently the official statistic is that a sweep with help one in seven times - and that it could take 3 or 4 days to work (by which time you may have gone into labour anyway).

I'm a bit hmm about sweeps.

LackingNicknameInspiration Fri 12-Jun-09 15:08:43

Yes - although hard to know if it would have started anyway! I had a sweep on the Monday morning, followed by reflexology with a reflexologist recommended by my MW in the afternoon - baby born at 10.21 the following morning. I'd had no signs of anything happening prior to that (no BH or anything like that) - the reflexologist said that 75% of the women she treated went into labour within 24 hours if they'd also had a sweep. The sweep also didn't hurt (less uncomfy than I smear) but I did have a very gentle MW.

Good luck!

summerbird Sat 13-Jun-09 21:25:57

nickschick grin

I had my sweep at 2pm yesterday and nothing so far, am currently 40+10. Booked for induction on Monday.

Therefore so far i can say that the sweep hasnt done anything as i havent had any further twinges... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now