Talk

Advanced search

any tips...

(17 Posts)
AliGrylls Thu 11-Jun-09 06:37:08

I am being induced today - I can't believe how like me my baby is. He is really taking his time in coming out.

Anyone out there been induced? Any tips on coping with being induced?

christiana Thu 11-Jun-09 06:39:08

Message withdrawn

AliGrylls Thu 11-Jun-09 06:42:54

1 week +2 d's. Pessaries this afternoon and if that doesn't work waters breaking tomorrow.

Apparently the NICE Guidelines changed recently. Was 1 wk 6 d's but now has been moved down to 1 +3. Is a bit sad but he is not showing any signs of coming out.

elliepac Thu 11-Jun-09 06:55:29

I was induced with both of my DC's, i must have a very comfy womb!

Top tips from me are :_

1. patience - it can still take ages to get going depending on whether this is your first baby or not. Pessaries did not work with my first. In addition, you may find, as I did, that you keep getting bumped down the priority list as other women in established labour come on to the delivery suite. It tookm 36 hours from starting process off to DS arriving.

2. prepare yourself - being induced can lead to a very quick onslaught of labour. With DD (my second). I went from virtually no pain (mild period like pains) to immediate agony and strong contractions as soon as my waters were broken and she arrived a mere 2 hours later.

3. Drip - be aware that if breaking your waters does not work, you may well be put on a drip to speed things up but - again with DS that took many hours to actually work.

4. Moving around - often with being induced they like to monitor you almost constantly so no walking around etc. I was stuck to a bed for the vast majority of the time.

Think that covers it. Good Luck. Come back and let us know how it went.

elliepac Thu 11-Jun-09 06:57:09

OMG, just re-read my post it all sounds quite scary. Hope I didn't make you poo your pants anymore than you may already be doing.

Sorry. It's really not that bad?!

AliGrylls Thu 11-Jun-09 06:59:17

Fuck me - it sounds awful.

I think I might ask if I can come home overnight if the pessaries don't work. I can't think of anything worse than not being able to walk around.

How sad am I. sad

weegiemum Thu 11-Jun-09 07:00:50

I was induced 3 weeks early with dd2 as I was unwell.

Top tips

1. Lie down for a good few hours after the pessaries - lets them work well on your cervix

2. Then WALK - me and dh walked all around the hospital for several hours, and it really helped.

3. It hurts - induction contrractions are different to "normal" ones - very short and sharp. I ended up only having gas&air as they didn't believe I was so far on (my induction was 12 hours start to finish but it was my dc3) - so take the pain releif on offer. Though one midwife told me that epidural + induction = CS, though I'm not sure how true it is, I never had an epi.

4. GOOD LUCK and have fun meeting your little one!

elliepac Thu 11-Jun-09 07:03:02

Oh yeah, weegiemum is right, drugs are good grin.

AliGrylls Thu 11-Jun-09 07:08:29

You have made me feel a bit better now. So if I lie down with bum in the air it may help, and then go for as long a walk as possible around the hospital.

Can't wait to see my little baby.

Thank you for your advice smile

elliepac Thu 11-Jun-09 07:10:51

I should have said the monitoring bit comes after waters broken. SOrry it's early.

Bum in the air is always a good position wink

christiana Thu 11-Jun-09 07:12:29

Message withdrawn

MrsHappy Thu 11-Jun-09 08:01:25

You know you do not have to be induced if you don't want to.

If the doctors have any concerns about your baby they can monitor him via scans. 41+2 is barely late at all and there is still bags of time for the baby to come out on his own. In France (where 41 weeks is term)you would not even really be considered late yet!

l39 Thu 11-Jun-09 09:00:11

I was induced with my third labour. I was offered an epidural (repeatedly) but didn't need it. With my first and second labours I had constant pain even between contractions but this did not happen when induced. My waters broke after having a pessary, I was put on a drip next morning because nothing seemed to be happening, and a quite bearable hour and a quarter later gave birth to the first twin. I hope all goes well for you today!

AliGrylls Tue 16-Jun-09 10:59:22

Hello people who contributed to this thread.

Wanted to let you know that am back at home with baby. He is soooo gorgeous. Ended up needing emergency C, labour was awful but would not change the outcome for the world.

MrsHappy Tue 16-Jun-09 20:10:25

Congratulations - glad to hear that everything worked out in the end and that you are safely home with your little chap.

AliGrylls Thu 18-Jun-09 09:42:48

Thank you mrshappy smile

lechatnoir Thu 18-Jun-09 10:02:40

Oooh congrats and glad you're home safe & sounds grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now