Talk

Advanced search

Ceasarean or not???

(12 Posts)
Joycey29 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:19:12

HI,
I'm only 16 weeks but have a dilemma building.
This is #3 and with 1 & 2 I had low amniotic fluid leading to few or no movements (very scary!) and constant monitoring for the last two weeks before being induced early.
On dc 2 my consultant offered me a Ceasarean but I turned it down and went in and out every other day for checks before being induced at 38 weeks.
All fine in the end but very stressful for me and family.
This time I want to feel more in control. I have a meeting with my usual consultant next week. If it turns out I have low fluid again I am considering asking for a Ceasar. Am I mad? Am I sensible??
HELP!!

spicemonster Wed 10-Jun-09 20:23:47

What do you think you're mad about? Having a CS? I had one for the opposite reason to you (too much amniotic fluid) and I'm glad I did as I wasn't prepared to take the risk of the cord prolapsing. Did you have a CS with your first one?

I think it really depends on what you feel is likely to make you less anxious. You may not have low fluid at all this time of course

Joycey29 Wed 10-Jun-09 20:27:09

Am I mad to elect when I have given birth naturally twice?? I haven't had a Ceasar but am a little concerned about the after effects.
Gut feeling -- I know in the short term a planned Ceasar would put my mind at rest!

thisisyesterday Wed 10-Jun-09 20:34:57

i wouldn't have one unless I absolutely had to tbh.
it's major surgery.

i can understand that your experiences have been really stressful, but for me that wouldn;t outweigh the negative sides of a c-section.

that said, you do have to do what YOU feel happiest with

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 20:43:56

I had an elective for medical reasons and it was the best thing I could have done for DD and myself in the circumstances - I have no regrets. Any questions, let me know and I'll pick them up tomorrow.

smallorange Wed 10-Jun-09 20:44:51

i've had two cs and am about to have my third.

i think the recovery is as much of a lottery as childbirth. i had v. little pain and was in the park a week later with two kids after the second cs.

Lulumama Wed 10-Jun-09 20:47:13

i would ask for another induction rather than a c.s, especially if you have responded well to a previous induction

you can plan ahead in as much as you will have a date for the induction and will have time to make arrangements re childcare etc

that might help with feeling more in control

a c.s can be planned,but you don;t know how you will be afterwards whereas you know how you will be after a VB having had 2 already

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 21:01:27

Good point Lulu - I was a tad gungho there. blush

Lulumama Wed 10-Jun-09 21:04:02

nto at all, lilred, you had a c.s, it was great for you.. you can offer a positive experience of c.s!

LilRedWG Wed 10-Jun-09 21:05:22

I can indeed. My only regret is that I shall never have a natural birth (if I'm allowed to get pregnant that is).

Lulumama Wed 10-Jun-09 21:20:00

<<squeeze>> for you.

Joycey29 Thu 11-Jun-09 20:16:48

Thanks guys! I am going to chat with my consultant and see what she recommends. I think a date will help but with inductions I am worried as if they leave it late then there are issues.
Lilred - was your cs planned well in advance? How quickly did you heal?
Part of me feels that it is a better option. Last child so not worried about scarring for future babies.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now