Talk

Advanced search

Growth scan - can it measure shoulder width

(7 Posts)
heartmoonshadow Tue 09-Jun-09 17:04:49

Hi

I posted this in pregnancy a few hours ago and have no replies - would it be better off here?

I am getting more and more nervous as the time approaches - I am 34+3 weeks and I am due to have a growth scan next week.

My concern is that I am 5ft 2in (although I am a plus size) and my husband is 6ft 2in - very tall and slim but with very wide shoulders.

I was wondering can they tell the width of the shoulders on a scan as I am really worried that my baby - a boy - will take after his dad and be very wide. I should also tell you that I am an anomaly in my family as 90% of family very tall - brothers are 5ft 11in and 6ft 4in and also very broad shouldered.

I have to see the consultant after my scan what advice would you give me when talking to her - I am concerned that baby will get stuck and not be able to breathe etc. Would you ask for an elective C-section?

slushy06 Tue 09-Jun-09 17:18:08

Hi I am 5 ft 1 and dh is 6 ft 2 when my son was born mw said good god that is the longest baby I have seen he was 59cms but I didn't have a problem not even a graze. It is not how tall you are but the size of your pelvis. My auntie cannot birth naturally she is same hight as me but her husband is only 5 10 but her hips are too narrow so height not an issue. They will have checked whether baby is likely to fit through your pelvis. But I would just say to scanner that you are a little concerned can he measure the baby's shoulder width to see how big they are. Also baby's bones are kinda softer and more flexible in order to fit through your cervix.

Beccabump Tue 09-Jun-09 18:49:08

Hi there

On the last 2 growth scans I have had had they have not measured the shoulders, but the head, abdomen and femur to get an average reading to plot on a graph to show rough size - having said this I was told at my appt today that growth scans are not always reliable anyway!!

I would voice your concerns to your consultant to get them off your chest - you will feel better! But don't expect them to give you an idea before 37/38 weeks as to whether they think the baby will 'fit' I was told today that I have to have another scan at 37 weeks before they will decide suitability for homebirth/hospital birth or induction! (ps I have Gestational Diabetes so having the scans for that!)

Babies on average are very good though - they very rarely grow larger than they have room for

timmette Tue 09-Jun-09 19:08:32

My mil is 5 foot and her dh is 6'3 and she has birthed 3 ds's all now adults of over 6's and she had not a tear or stitch and she is petite also - so yes you can have faith in your body.

Unicornvomit Tue 09-Jun-09 19:11:26

are you having a series of scans? one on its own is not much help and there is also a margin for error in scans and palpation

i would not personally ask for a c.section, just in case

i would try to go for a spontaneous start to labour and to adopt positions in labour that would allow the pelvis to open to the maximum and not lie on the bed or sit on it if at all possible

women to tend to grow the size of baby they can give birth to

Unicornvomit Tue 09-Jun-09 19:12:55

sorry , should have finished that sentence

i meant 'just in case the baby is too big'

heartmoonshadow Wed 10-Jun-09 11:10:38

Thanks for the replies, I think it is just a really bad case of nerves kicking in!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now