Talk

Advanced search

At what point in the induction process is waterbirth prohibited?

(15 Posts)
NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 09-Jun-09 11:31:39

Am 41 weeks pg with DC2 and this morning had a little weep over the kitchen sink in manner of 50's housewife (although no fresh bow in hair, just knots and no neatly pressed skirt, just saggy old tracksuit bottoms).

DS was the perfect home waterbirth at 39 weeks. 5 hours flat.

This one just doesn't seem to want to make an appearance.

Have a sweep tomorrow and know that induction will be discussed. I know I can hold out and be monitored etc but want to be mentally prepared for going down the induction road.

Have never been there before - can I use the pool if I have pessaries?

merryberry Tue 09-Jun-09 15:36:56

not at uch

merryberry Tue 09-Jun-09 15:39:14

sorry got called away: when i asked around march 2008, it varied by hospital. all seemed to have a different protocol, all erring on the side of caution.

good luck!

Deemented Tue 09-Jun-09 18:28:51

You don't have to be induced if you don't want to... I know a lady who had a home water birth at 43+3. It can be done.

twinklegreen Tue 09-Jun-09 19:30:13

I had a pessary and once things got started they asked if I wanted to go in the pool.

NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 09-Jun-09 19:36:56

Thanks for responding <weak smile>

I will talk to midwife about it tomorrow and see what the protocol is locally re pool.

I know I can hold out - and having lost some plug I am hopeful that my body is gearing up to do it's thing. I know I have good reason to hold out too (very successful first labour/birth with DS) but I also know how much pressure they can bring to bear, and how emotional and exhausted I am feeling.

Oh woe is me!

notevenamousie Tue 09-Jun-09 19:38:57

When the drip goes in/up. Usually. And for an hour or two after the pessaries but would be ok once you're off the monitor. You could even have your waters popped, then get in the pool.

zazizoma Tue 09-Jun-09 19:43:07

I was 'told' that a waterbirth was out of the question with my proposed induction.

Luckily dc2 came two days before my appointment, but, alas, she also arrived before the tub was filled.

Believe it or not, waterbirth with dc1 was . . . blissful.

In the future I will do everything in my power to avoid an induction. I didn't realise I had an option, which apparently I do.

I also know someone so fed up with the NHS system that she opted for a private mw so to feel more in charge of the process. Her husband ended up delivering her dc2 on the kitchen floor because there was no time for the mw to arrive.

zazizoma Tue 09-Jun-09 19:46:38

Hey, I forgot to add hang in there and best wishes for your upcoming labour!

4madboys Tue 09-Jun-09 19:56:21

i was over two weeks overdue and ended having to have my waters broken to start labour (had to for all four boys) as i am allergic to prostin gel.

anyhow they still let me use the pool, think it depends on midwife tho,

good luck sending you speedy labour vibes xxxxxx

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 19:58:11

I predict a girl btw!

We don't have a birthing pool at our hospital so no idea tbh.

Wasn't allowed a home birth after 42 weeks.

NotSoRampantRabbit Tue 09-Jun-09 21:03:44

Oh thanks all!

My last labour was very fast and furious so I suspect if a pessary were to work I wouldn't have a couple of hours for monitoring before DC arrived!

Really hope that my sweep tomorrow is effective. Lots of plug gone so something must be happening down there.

It's strange to be in this position second time round - it's a blardy myth that seconds are earlier than firsts.

Am bouncing on ball and sipping vile RLT. May have to go down the romance route - although feel like an articulated lorry.

Car Girl - your prediction is right! Or at least a bloomin hope it is - have drawers full of girly baby grows!

Am off to bed - if I wake up pregnant in the morning I will have my weep in the kitchen and then come on here to moan.

smile

CarGirl Tue 09-Jun-09 21:05:18

well I reckon when it does start you may not have time to get to the hospital so you will get your home birth by default!

NotSoRampantRabbit Wed 10-Jun-09 10:43:30

Still pregnant.

BUT think waters have gone (a bit) and am cramping all over the place.

Fingers crossed that this is it...thanks for your support.

smile

bethoo Wed 10-Jun-09 10:52:03

good luck, i dont think you can be in the water if you have pethidine as it makes you drowsy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now