Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone used super absorbent sanitary pads instead of maternity pads?

(20 Posts)
MamaMimi Mon 08-Jun-09 21:48:00

I'm just getting things together for my hospital bag and tried in vain to get 'ultra slim' maternity pads at Boots today. I used regular mat pads after having dd and always felt like I had a brick down my pants, so I would like to use something slimmer this time.

I've been wondering if I could just use 'super' sanitary pads to do the job (does anyone have experience of this?) or whether maternity pads are designed to be so much more absorbent and are necessary.

Any advice?
TIA

GentlyDidIt Mon 08-Jun-09 21:59:26

I used super absorbent night-time pads because they were cheaper than the other ones with "maternity" written on them. Got through about 6-8 a day for first few days.

Good luck!

stleger Mon 08-Jun-09 22:00:31

The extra long nighttimes with ultra soft cover!

twinklegreen Tue 09-Jun-09 08:25:26

I used nightime pads for dc2, found them alot better than maternity pads, just as absorbant. Have since heard that sanitary towels have more chemicals in them, but I had no problems with this and plan to use them again for dc3.

norksinmywaistband Tue 09-Jun-09 08:34:40

I used tena pads, especially in hospital they were great as you can buy some that are already attached in disposable knickers - they have great elasticated bits that are good for holding in and supporting post baby belly

norksinmywaistband Tue 09-Jun-09 08:38:16

here They are expensive, but were great for the still in hospital/first couple of days

messymissy Tue 09-Jun-09 08:51:24

Agree with posters - extra long night time pads are good and cheaper than maternity pads - disposable knickers horrid though and if you have a c section you want soft cotton BIG knickers. Got cheap size 18 (i'm a 10) from QS looked hideous but did the trick.

KingRolo Tue 09-Jun-09 08:54:43

DH bought me some Tena Lady by mistake but they were actually MUCH better than the Mothercare maternity pads and about the same price.

Agree about big pants. I bought a pack of 10 huuuuge granny knickers for £4 at Matalan and threw them away after use.

Ceolas Tue 09-Jun-09 08:55:09

Just be cautious with the ultra slim pads. A lot of midwives say they can be harsh because of the way the gel 'draws' the fluid in. Especially if you have stitches. [ouch!]

Ineedmorechocolatenow Tue 09-Jun-09 10:20:01

I used the Always Night-time pads (though I used the maternity pads first as it cushioned the stitches in the first couple of days).

CherryChoc Tue 09-Jun-09 10:27:56

Yes, be careful if you have stitches, apparently the maternity pads have fewer chemicals/bleaches/gels in so are less irritating if you are healing there.

Perhaps try cottons or natracare night-time pads? (Both are "eco" brands of sanitary towel with fewer chemicals/gels/bleaches in - you can get Cottons from large Boots and Tescos, Natracare in some independent health stores & some Waitrose, or www.spiritofnature.co.uk/ or www.hospital-bag.co.uk/) - I find them more comfortable than Always in general anyway.

CherryChoc Tue 09-Jun-09 10:29:06

Just to clarify, the ones I mentioned are disposable

Highlander Tue 09-Jun-09 11:58:39

I had 2 elec CSs and used massive knickers with Always Ultra night-time pads for the first 48 hours then just the regular pads.

MiaMamma Tue 09-Jun-09 14:38:12

Another vote here for always ultra night-time pads, found them much more comfortable than maternity pads.

blondissimo Tue 09-Jun-09 14:54:27

I would never have been able to use any ultra slim pads as I bled heavily, but I did use Kotex maxi night time pads, which were cheaper, more absorbent and more comfortable than standard maternity pads.
They are easy to spot in black packaging, but only place I've seen them is Wilkinsons.
Midwife told me that a lot of women have problems with Always after stitches.

CuppaTeaJanice Tue 09-Jun-09 15:02:39

I used supermarket value pads after the first few days - much cheaper and just as good. I wouldn't try the thin ones at first though - the extra padding will make sitting down more comfortable!

Oh, and don't buy knickers that are too big. Mine were 3 sizes bigger than normal and I spent the first couple of weeks hoisting them up constantly before buying smaller ones!!!

BellaBear Tue 09-Jun-09 15:05:18

watch out for ones with the kind of plasticky layer on them as that can rub against stitches

blondissimo Tue 09-Jun-09 15:05:23

Or paper pants. I threw all mine out as they were too small and ill fitting even though I bought the biggest size available!

Flibbertyjibbet Tue 09-Jun-09 15:18:36

I don't use always type pads for normal periods never mind after having a baby and being full of stitches -
they are full of chemicals which makes them super absorbent, they are plastic (despite having names like 'silk' which I don't want next to a very delicate stitched up/bruised/sore/healing fanjo.

If I used them for a normal period I find the plasticyness must make me sweat and irritates my piles, and they are so super absorbent that any natural dampness down there is absorbed into the pads and makes me feel like my labia is sticking to the pad a bit, ugh.

So many people don't use disposable nappies against their child's skin because of all the chemicals and plastic - those slim pads are made from the same stuff.

I know the thick maternity pads are not as comfy at first, but they are nice and soft and made of much more natural materials.

am blush at you all talking about granny pants - er, I just wore my normal big pants after a section .....

MamaMimi Tue 09-Jun-09 15:53:26

Thanks for all the comments folks - they have given me food for thought.

I will try another branch of Boots and if no joy I may just go with Kotex ultra or the likes, but may avoid Always after some of the advice here - and not knowing whether I'll end up with stitches or not! Hopefully not, I got away without them last time.

Thanks for the advice regarding Tena pads, I'm sure they are great considering what they are designed for but to be honest I'm looking for the cheapest option that will do the job sufficiently, hence wondering if sanitary pads are as good as maternity pads.

.....grin.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now