Talk

Advanced search

Planning HBAC but BP has risen? P.E.T in previous pregnancy.

(6 Posts)
jeva1 Mon 08-Jun-09 10:04:40

Hi, feeling a bit streesed (which I know isn't helping!) I'm 38wks and everything has been going well until 4 days ago when Blood pressure started to rise. I put it down to a busy couple of days, however have been monitoring at home and it's been 148/103 or thereabouts over last 2 days. My booking Bp was 138/83. My first pregnancy I was admitted to hospital with Bp 147/115 at 31 wks, had EMC at 34 wks due to IUGR, P.E.T and sub-optimal C.T.G. All was fine after with baby, he's now a v healthy 15month old!

Everything else is fine, no other P.E.T symptoms, lots of movement. Have had growth scans throughout and baby doing v well. I have just managed to get consultant to 'stand by me' having a HBAC which I've been really excited about, but now I don't know what to do? Should I phone someone and tell them about my Bp, or see what it does over the nxt 24hrs? Really worried that if I phone I'll have to be admitted into hospital to be monitored and HBAC will then be out of the question, as they'll prob want me to have a section as i won't be induced?

Feeling v confused and annoyed with my Bp...I've got so far and for it all to go wrong now is a real kick...

Thank you for reading.

EccentricaGallumbits Mon 08-Jun-09 10:10:38

Your Bp is high enough to be worrying. I know yu don't want to but I thik you need to let you midwife know and take advice from her, even if it means you might not get your homebirth.
You've done this before. you know PET is dangerous.

artichokes Mon 08-Jun-09 10:12:10

I think you should get your urine tested. If its all clear then that will give you reassurance but if there is protein then you probably will need monitoring. I can see your concern that they might cancel the HBAC if they know about your BP, I too found them very cautious after previous PET, but do bear in mind they are trying to make decisions in the best interest of your health and the health of the baby. Your BP is just entering the traditional worry zone, but it was reasonably high at booking so they might adjust your risk zone accordingly. Good luck!

EccentricaGallumbits Mon 08-Jun-09 10:15:49

hit post button too soon.

yes. urine dip and bloods to see what's going on before firmly deciding on what to do next would be a good idea.

good luck!

SympatheticConsultant Mon 08-Jun-09 10:26:46

If your Consultsnt has a clinic within the next day or 2 you should arrange an appt to be seen there this week. If you have protein present in the urine you ought to be reviewed at your Day Assessment Unit the same day. Beware occasionally with severe PET the appearance of protein can sometimes occur very late or after the development of serious problems, so don't assume all is well if there is no protein but your BP remains elevated (not meaning to alarm you but the risks of a stroke/placental abruption are still there with BP's persistently > 160/110). A diastolic BP of >105 usually warrants treatment and >110 typically at the very least requires urgent Obstetric review and blood tests if not delivery (depending upon other clinical features).

I appreciate you are very keen for a homebirth but your's and the baby's safety must be the priority!

LiegeAndLief Mon 08-Jun-09 14:24:10

I am 36 wks pg after being delivered at 34 wks due to PET last time like you, and if I was getting those readings I would definitely be on the phone to the hospital! I really appreciate how much you want your HBAC - I wanted to have ds1 at home before I got PET, although I'm not brave enough to try it this time - but I'm sure you know how serious PET can be, and it's really important that you and your baby are safe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now