Talk

Advanced search

Does an anterior placenta make it more likely the baby will be back to back?

(13 Posts)
Whitetara Sun 07-Jun-09 14:59:47

Hello everyone

The title says it all really. Just wondering since if baby is facing the placenta, then her back will be against mine, won't it? I'd be interested to hear people's experiences with this.

Thank you!

kissyfurschaos Sun 07-Jun-09 15:07:00

Hi I had anterior placenta with DS and he wasn't back to back.
Good luck withh the birth of your baby.

verylittlecarrot Sun 07-Jun-09 15:32:40

I'm afraid that's what it meant for me sad

I didn't do me hands & knees exercises to turn her though so partly my fault.

majormoo Sun 07-Jun-09 16:32:06

I had an anterior placenta with my DD but she wasn't back to back. Also had one with DS2 who was in a posterior position, but turned as I went into labour and had a very straight forward birth

newlark Sun 07-Jun-09 16:44:29

I had an anterior placenta with first and read that it was more likely to be back to back (tho not necessarily) - I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees to encourage optimal position - I think I found info from google. Ended up LOA which is optimal I think.

Whitetara Sun 07-Jun-09 19:55:43

That's encouraging and thank you for the replies. My baby is due at the beginning of September. I had a third degree tear with my daughter who was in a good position.

I remember reading that keeping forward and not leaning back too much in the lead up to labour was best to get baby into position, but then a midwife recently told me the baby would take up the position it's most comfortable in and that optimal positioning didn't do anything. Here's hoping this time is a bit more straight forward than the last...

MerlinsBeard Sun 07-Jun-09 19:57:03

DS3 wasn't back to back-in fact he was my easiest labour (hardest pregnancy for other reasons though!)

littlelamb Sun 07-Jun-09 19:59:49

Yes, for me it has been true both times. Dd didn't turn in labour and I was lying down. Ds did turn in labour and I was stood up. Enough evidence for me to recommend staying as upright as possible. Worth noting that my midwife said a waterbirth wasn't ideal as you're more likely to lean back in the pool

bumpybecky Sun 07-Jun-09 20:02:39

dd3 and ds both had anterior plancentas and noehter was back to back I didn't spend any more time on my hands and knees trying to move them (although I did with dd1 who was back to back before labour, but placenta wasn't anterior). Labours with anterior placentas were both fine (home water births) and no problems in the third stage (physiological i.e. no drugs to manage)

Good luck

HalfMumHalfBiscuit Sun 07-Jun-09 20:10:54

Not heard of this before. I know I have an anterior placenta (am 21 weeks pg). DS1 was back to back and I had ECS with him so could have had one then - no one said anything. Will be interested to see if the same happens this time???

Loopymumsy Sun 07-Jun-09 22:20:22

Message withdrawn

dizietsma Sun 07-Jun-09 22:27:31

DD had an anterior placenta and was back to back in labour, I'm sorrry to have to report. It was a 37 hour labour sad

There is lots you can do to move them about, pre labour and during. I did a lot of pacing in labour, lots of active birth positions and I think that's what helped turn her.

HLaurens Mon 08-Jun-09 10:29:01

Two anterior placentas, two perfectly positioned DDs - one out in 8 hours and the other in 4 with no pain relief except gas and air required.

I was conscious of getting DD1 in the right position so lots of sitting on the gym ball. With DD2 I didn't have the chance to worry about position as I was chasing after a 22mth old, but it was still fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now