Talk

Advanced search

oh my god the midwife on call for homebirths tonight....

(19 Posts)
swottybetty Thu 04-Jun-09 22:53:10

... has a willie!

really. he's a he

i'm not sure i approve.

then again i would just be so glad to finally go into labour. maybe he could watch sky sports news with dh. i def feel more comfortable with that thought than with a him doing the delivery. is that so bad of me?

littlelamb Thu 04-Jun-09 22:56:33

Yes
It might feel odd because we normally think of midwives as being women (and certainly I've never met a male one) but it's his job and he'll do just the same thing as a woman one would. Probably be a bit nicer about it too <<remembers the witch who delivered dd only too well>>

LynetteScavo Thu 04-Jun-09 22:58:05

Calm down - I had a male midwife with DS1 and he was lovely, lovely, lovely. (much nicer than the evil witch I had with DS2)

And don't you get 2 midwives?

Claire2009 Thu 04-Jun-09 23:02:18

I had a male Midwife, he was better than the females!

swottybetty Thu 04-Jun-09 23:04:33

tis true that i came across a couple of awful female midwives with dd. also true that noone stops to question male consultants.

still, the thought has winded me slightly.

notnowbernard Thu 04-Jun-09 23:05:16

I honestly wouldn't give a shit smile

spicemonster Thu 04-Jun-09 23:06:53

Having had two sweeps from my male consultant, I don't think I'd give a stuff. What would you prefer - male MW or another day waiting? wink

nancy75 Thu 04-Jun-09 23:07:45

i had a male midwife (in a hospital) he could have had a willie growing out of his head for all i cared, by that point (12 days overdue and bloody fat) i just wanted dd out!

whiskersonkittens Thu 04-Jun-09 23:16:19

I had a male midwife and he was great. I found it so sad that he asked if I minded ...

angelene Thu 04-Jun-09 23:16:22

I saw a midwife who had a beard once, although she was still a she...

JemL Thu 04-Jun-09 23:22:58

Best midwife I have had was a bloke!

More emabarrasing bumping into them in co-op though.

ouchitreallyhurts Fri 05-Jun-09 08:49:23

my husband is a nurse and his best friend a male midwife his friend refused to deliver dd1 as he thought it was a bit too personal (!) but I'd have much preferred him to the absolute b*tch I did have.
I think men tend to be much gentler IME.

scottishmummy Fri 05-Jun-09 09:00:32

you should hope for a skilled sensitive clinician.regardless of gender

Kaylo Fri 05-Jun-09 09:00:44

I think you should be hoping to go into labour tonight while he's on duty!!!

I know I would - I had god experiences with both my dc's but at the same time I met nasty cocky snotty know-it-all twitchy b*tchy women.

He's got to be a lot nicer and it might make dh a bit more included in the birth knowing he has someone that potentially may know what it's like to stand watching your partner painfully birth a baby without knowing what to do to make it better etc.

HTH xxx

hope it happens soon for you hun - the last dregs of pg do drag don't they...

Kaylo Fri 05-Jun-09 09:01:50

pmsl angelene

gringringrin

JollyPirate Fri 05-Jun-09 09:05:50

As a midwife I worked with a fantastic male midife (Alan Jenkins for anyone in the South East). Compared with some of the midwives I worked with I'd have preferred Alan any day. He was (and is) calm, kind, supportive and most importantly HUMAN.

NationalFlight Fri 05-Jun-09 09:14:17

Wow, sounds interesting...

I met my midwife a few weeks before actual labour. I HATED her, I thought I was having Ctx but she was SO condescending and I can't even remamber why but I hated her so much.
Lo and behold she turned up ON the day shock

I was like, <heart sinking> moment but actually she was fab and later it transpired she had had FOUR home births grin and really knew what she was doing. She also kept quite calm (well almost) during a dodgy moment - it was fate i think.

swottybetty Fri 05-Jun-09 11:44:57

ah well. no baby so no matter. off to start another swottybetty is overdue and moaning thread grin

Metatron Fri 05-Jun-09 11:47:20

hmmm. I had early contractions when the midwife on call turned up and I was unimpressed.

I lay down for the rest of the day. grin. The next day it was my lovely midwife, i was walking bouncing etc and had dd2 at 7pm. smile

There was no way I was delivering the day before!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now