Talk

Advanced search

How regular are regular contractions?

(21 Posts)
misscreosote Thu 04-Jun-09 06:30:24

Hello - I've been up most of the night with painful 'tightenings' and started timing them at about 4am. But the intervals go from about 5 mins to 9 mins, only lasting about a minute if that. They do hurt enough to make me have to stop arsing around on the computer and breathe through them. Is it not labour until the contractions settle into a more regular pattern? Was induced last time, so not used to this luxury of a 'warm up' smile

Need to think about whether DH should go to work, and childcare etc if it is the start of proper labour rather than pre-labour pains.

(PS getting excited!)

melmog Thu 04-Jun-09 06:38:09

I'm very excited on your behalf! When mine started I was exactly the same as you. I'd been induced the first time too so knew nothing of natural labour. I rang the hospital and the midwife could tell from my voice and breathing it was time to come in. Good job too. Two and half hours later was all done!

I'd ring for advice. All the best!

Nahui Thu 04-Jun-09 06:38:34

Message withdrawn

misscreosote Thu 04-Jun-09 07:23:57

OK - been walking about and they're still coming at about the same interval - mostly around 6/7 min but some longer at 9 min. I'm thinking DH probably shouldn't be trekking off to work...

Phoenix Thu 04-Jun-09 07:26:50

Try having a warm bath. If it isn't labour the pains might ease off. Good luck

Unicornvomit Thu 04-Jun-09 07:26:57

have a bath, if they die off, then not time.. if they keep going, it is a sign these are real contractions!!

i would not send your DH off to work

eat and drink lightly, don;t forget to go to the loo aswell

good luck

SofiaAmes Thu 04-Jun-09 07:28:40

I still had another 40 hours to go after my contractions were as you are describing with my first. However, I almost gave birth in London traffic with my second because I was at a trade convention and determined to see all the booths and counting on 40 hours again, but actually only ended up having 5 hours after the regular contractions started!

Unicornvomit Thu 04-Jun-09 07:30:50

good thinking , phoenix !!

feedthegoat Thu 04-Jun-09 07:51:33

My hospital told me I wasn't in labour as my contractions were very irregular but I asked to go in as had been to toilet and bled alot. I was 9.5cm dialated. They didn't become regular either so it can happen. The longest I went between was about 15 minures though so they didn't actually stop at any point. Good luck if this is it!

melmog Thu 04-Jun-09 07:57:00

Agree with everyone, don't let dh leave the house! Mine weren't regular and I didn't even time them as they were so hit and miss. We're all different. Hope you have a quick one too!

nigglewiggle Thu 04-Jun-09 07:59:32

Keep us posted

misscreosote Thu 04-Jun-09 08:52:39

Thank you everyone - have got DD off to the childminders, DH has stayed home, and have had a bath. Things have slowed down but not stopped, so fingers crossed they pick up again now I'm relaxing and today is the day grin

Hmmm, maybe I should also cancel my induction acupuncture session this afternoon! OK, going to stop getting too excited now just in case this isn't it. Will let you know what happens if anything....

misscreosote Fri 05-Jun-09 19:03:35

Just to let you know that I had a lovely baby girl at 10.30 last night, so they were definitely contractions! Almost had the home VBAC I was after, but had to transfer in for the final bit as she wasn't budging after 5 shock hours of pushing, but a quick snip (wince) and she popped out. Back home again pretty much straight away, so all lovely and relaxed, if more tired than I've been before in my life. Thanks everyone grin

Phoenix Fri 05-Jun-09 19:17:18

Awww congratulations

Unicornvomit Fri 05-Jun-09 19:18:09

congratulations !! eeek at 5 hours of pushing..

great news xxx

feedthegoat Fri 05-Jun-09 19:34:49

Congratulations smile

melmog Fri 05-Jun-09 21:08:47

Congratulations! Lovely news. x

Trikken Fri 05-Jun-09 21:20:54

congratulations!

nigglewiggle Sat 06-Jun-09 11:58:22

Congratulations. What is she called?

misscreosote Sun 07-Jun-09 20:19:49

Only just decided - Laurie (Laura) Joy and she's all warm and snuggly. Aah smile

nigglewiggle Sun 07-Jun-09 20:51:43

Lovely name! Enjoy those snuggles. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now