Talk

Advanced search

How long can this go on for?

(8 Posts)
greeneyed Tue 02-Jun-09 02:02:35

Started losing mucus plug on Wednesday - Saturday evening had bloody show and mild contractions which stopped around midnight.

Proper contractions started Sunday at teatime and have been coming ever since getting more painful but not yet regular - anything from every 4 to 20 mins, they were coming every 4 to 10 mins for the first 12 hours and have slowed up since - have constant lower back and pelvic pain also. Have been in latent phase now for over 30 hours, this is my second night of no sleep and I am really feeling it. I haven't had a contraction now for 40 mins but if I lay down I know they will come back, They are strongest when I am laid on my side. I spoke with the hospital who said I could come in and they'd give me diamorphine to sleep but that might stop things altogther. Trying to make it through the night and hope things progress in the morning. - anyone else experienced similar?

Eh up just had another contraction so things are still happening - hopefully that was a little lull before the storm!!

Love Greeneyed x

TubOfLardWithInferiorRange Tue 02-Jun-09 02:17:35

I had this with my first-when you get actively into labor and esp if you are feeling like pushing and nurses/docs etc. are saying not time make sure that someone checks your dilation during a contraction. If things go on for a very long time-like I was approaching a week-the cervix can start to swell making it seem as if things aren't progressing.

tessofthedurbervilles Tue 02-Jun-09 03:09:36

Just wanted to say I feel for you as I am exactly the same and so tired I am worried about having nothing left at the end....

CarmenSanDiego Tue 02-Jun-09 03:21:49

My midwife poured me a large gin and tonic so I could sleep during labour! A bit unconventional but it paused the contractions and I woke up refreshed and ready to go!

greeneyed Tue 02-Jun-09 03:24:35

Thanks ladies. I would seriously consider a large brandy at this point !!!

Boobz Tue 02-Jun-09 15:35:34

Hi Greeneyed

I know exactly how you feel - I gave birth to my first baby in March and had a very long latent phase. I lost my plug at 11am on the Wednesday, with contractions starting at around 7pm later that day, and then I finally gave birth on Sunday morning at 6:15am (that was 4 days with constant, if irregular, contractions, and without sleep - argh!)

It was hard, but in the end, you get a gorgeous baby so the memory of the exhaustion does disappear the moment she is born. If I could give you any advice, I would say REST as much as you can now(don't worry about things slowing down... I did worry and tried to speed things up but this just got me knackered when I should have been resting up).. also, if you can bear it, don't forget to eat - you are running a marathon for all intense purposes!

Are you having a homebirth? Do you have a pool? This was a great distraction for me - getting in and out of the pool. Also, The Wire (box set) came in handy (although DH did have to pause it during each contraction, so he wasn't best pleased).

Finally, when I got to 4cm (11pm on the Sat before I had DD 7 hours later) I was allowed gas and air (was at home) and it was AMAZING. Things really sped up from there and the pushing stage was such a relief as the contractions didn't hurt any more and you knew the end was in sight (just 30 mins pushing for me, which was bliss given I had had over 80 hours of contractions!)

Good luck! Let us know how you are getting on! xxx

greeneyed Sun 07-Jun-09 13:42:48

Thanks ladies. Finally had him at 2pm Wednesday after 3 nights no kip and 22 hours at the hospital. I was dilating so slowly ended up with oxytocin, epidural then forceps delivery - he was facing back to back and 9lb 8.5 oz so couldn't deliver him without help. All worth it in the end xx

Boobz Mon 08-Jun-09 21:59:27

Well done Greeneyed xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now