Talk

Advanced search

40+13 today and don't want to be induced.

(78 Posts)
learnermummy Mon 25-May-09 09:08:00

13 days overdue today and really want my homebirth that i've planned for so long. DS was pretty much on time so never anticipated still being pregnant at this stage. Have fab independent midwives who aren't really concerned yet but have hospital appointment tomorrow afternoon where I imagine they'll be pressing me for induction.
Have seriously tried everything bar castor oil but baby very comfy in there!
I've been very emotional the last few days and swing between wanting to hang on and stay in control, to just wanting it all to end. Feel sad that all the hypnobirthing, yoga, acupuncture etc may have been in vain. Every night for the last two weeks at least I've gone to bed thinking maybe tonight is the night, but no.
Bump is now huge and very uncomfortable especially trying to look after a toddler. Anyone else been in a similar situation?

littlelamb Mon 25-May-09 09:15:50

Yes I went overdue with ds (and dd) and it was very hard work, especially with a preschooler to look after too. I was induced with dd as she was overdue so I was desperate to avoid that happening again. I had a sweep at 4 days over and was already 3cm dilated, and ds arrived 3 days later. If it's any consolation, I had the best birth with him, and it literally came from nowhere- I had a nice bath, got out and my waters went and went straight into full blown, managable labour. He was here in 3.5 hours If you get chance, gat someone to have your toddler tomorrow and go for a massage or reflexology. Silly as it sounds, I think my body waited til I was relaxed enough before labour started- what to do with dd when I was in labour was a major concern, but the night I had him I knew there were people available to have her I went for a big walk on the day as well, and got very shouty at a man who had been stood in the street trying to sell me a mobile contract every day for at least a monthblush Very embarassing now but I think it helped to let off steam.
One thing my dd enjoyed (and so did I!) was getting her to rub lotion into my poor swollen feet. She could get as messy as she wanted, and I got to sit down and have my feet rubbed. The best kind of bribery wink
There's no need to feel pressured into an induction. At the end of pregnancy it's understandable that every extra day feels like a week, but it will happen soon

lulalullabye Mon 25-May-09 09:22:51

Stick with it. Dd2 was born at 42 wks. If your im's are happy go with them. Are they going to the hospital with you ?

plusonemore Mon 25-May-09 09:26:31

wow you are doing so well! Both my boys were overdue, 8 days ds1, 6 days ds2- but i was induced with ds2 due to reduced movements. Incase you do decide to go for induction, mine was fab, much better than ds1 non iduced birth. Was started at 9am, walked, had brekkie, read sunday papers, bounced on a ball a bit, then they broke my waters bout 3pm, had him bout 6.30. Wishing you lots of luck and you get the birth you want

Laugs Mon 25-May-09 09:40:25

Hi, I went into labour at 40+13, with my induction booked for the next day. I did eat a curry and have sex - two of the very last things I felt like doing - and contractions started a few hours later. I'm not sure it made a difference, but it must be worth a try.

If you do have to be induced though, don't think of all your yoga and hypnobirthing techniques have been in vain. They are ways to help you relax and cope with the birth, and can be used in any labour, even if it's not the one you planned.

jeva1 Mon 25-May-09 09:47:39

You can always ask for a scan to check the placenta's still working well if you want to wait to go into labour. That's what I'm planning to do if I go overdue! I had a c section last time so can't be induced and really don't want another section. Goodluck and it shouldnt be long now!

liahgen Mon 25-May-09 09:50:46

learner please just remember that this is your pregnancy and noone can make you be induced.

If poss for moral support, take your mw to appt, and do the broken record thig,

"thanks very much for your advice" You can have monitoring if you want to to keep an eye on baby but you do not have to be induced.

Let us know how you get on. good luck. x

Verity79 Mon 25-May-09 10:23:13

Don't forget the duration of pg is classed as 37-42 weeks by the WHO. So you aren't overdue until you are 42 weeks+. Try this site for some great information regarding post date mums and home births.
Good luck and have a great home birth.

muffle Mon 25-May-09 10:27:34

Have you tried very loud music? This worked for me. I know you will be fed up with hearing trite suggestions but... just in case! I went to a rock gig - contractions began 6am next morning.

SueW Mon 25-May-09 10:36:36

Why do you need to go to the hospital appointment if you are having independent midwifery care?

learnermummy Mon 25-May-09 10:40:57

thanks for all your messages. Midwives have recommended appointment so that we can ask for fetal wellbeing scan. Yes they are coming with us. Provided everything looks OK on scan we plan to delay date for induction for a couple of days at least.
Have been dancing around to loud music with DS this morning so here's hoping!

AnathemaDevice Mon 25-May-09 13:14:01

I went into labour 12 hours before I was going to be induced. Was going to phone the hospital to book an induction time at 7am on the 2nd April, contractions started at 7pm on the 1st, DS arrived at 1.54am on the 2nd. I think it was the fear of being induced that kicked everything off! Hope it all goes well for you, you feel like you've been pregnant forever at this stage, don't you?

booyhoo Mon 25-May-09 15:49:34

m 40+4 now and i feel so fed up so you are doing really well. i dont want to be induced either but i actually dont know why i dont want it, im not sure of the ins and outs of it and anyone i talk to seems to think its not a great option, however i was under the impression that i will have to be induced if i dont go into labour myself. i dont thnk my post has helped you at all except i just wanted to let you know you arent alone.

learnermummy Mon 25-May-09 18:59:37

Oh thanks booyhoo, I'm sure it won't be much longer for you. I want to avoid induction as it will be the complete opposite of the homebirth I had planned. What I fear with induction is being tied to the monitor, and then one form of intervention leading to another. Obviously if the baby is unhappy then I'll go for it and make the most of it. You don't have to be induced at all and can opt for monitoring every day or so until it happens on it's own. On the extreme end of things I did read a birth story on the internet of a woman who went to 43 + 6!

massivebump Mon 25-May-09 19:03:57

Hey, you're doing really well. I'm only 34 weeks & getting fed up already :-).

Remember, they can't force you to be induced, it's your choice. They can only advise you. If you decide not to be induced the hosp will offer you regular scans to make sure baby's doing ok. It's not unheard of to go into natural labour at 43 or 44 weeks. You have to do what you feel comfortable with.

Also, all your planning will not be wasted. You can still use your hypnobirthing and yoga etc in hospital to relax you and that's the best thing you can do, to be as relaxed as possible.

Also, go for plenty of walks as the pressure of baby's head on your cx will def help to get things started and/or help things along once you are in labour.

Good luck whatever happens and it sounds like you have fab m/w support which is always a bonus.

duchesse Mon 25-May-09 19:04:18

I was having the exact same problems as you for the birth of my last child. In the end, what was left of my waters went at 4:30pm on the day I was 40+13, and she was born by midnight (after a 4.5 hour labour at home). I was supposed to go in for induction the next day. I hope you manage to have your homebirth too. btw independent midwives in a survey in the 90s reported an average gestation of 42 and something weeks, including one woman who went to 46 weeks! My sister's babies are not cooked until 44 weeks (last one was induced by French medical system at 42 weeks and came out covered in vernix).

kookykid Mon 25-May-09 19:27:08

Sorry - haven't read whole thread, but had similar experience with my PFB. One of my IMs came with me to all my post-date hospital appointments to help me be polite but firm about refusing induction. I wanted to be monitored, but that was all. Had several sweeps by IMs and beautiful DD born at 43+3 at home just as I'd planned after an eight and a half hour labour. She was 7lb 11oz, covered in vernix and perfect in every way. Stick with it, it's worth it in the end!!

learnermummy Mon 25-May-09 19:31:04

That's good to hear kookykid. Just can't understand being so late with this one as DS was pretty much on time.

learnermummy Mon 25-May-09 19:36:55

That's good to hear kookykid. Just can't understand being so late with this one as DS was pretty much on time.

puffylovett Mon 25-May-09 19:40:56

are you positive about your dates though ? what I mean is my due date is 14th sept, whch means we would have had to have had sex on the 19th dec. now I can absolutely assure you that we did not have sex before boxing day !! it doesn't happen often enough that it's not memorable when it does lol ! I scan large babies I think. went to 42 +3 with DS and am planning to refuse induction / insist on homebirth with this one as a result !!

curlywurlycremeegg Mon 25-May-09 19:43:45

I am now 40+10 with baby number 4, this is the longest gestation I have had, others born at 39+6, 40+7 and 40+10. I am contacting my IM tomorrow to request her sort out an apointment for a biophysical profile for towards the end of the week. I will not be having an IOL under any circumstances as I had a emlscs with DD, home VBAC last time, but still feel the risk of IOL with a uterine scar is sky high. I am planning on having a biophysical profile every week until I either labour, there is signs of fetal compromise or I am just sick to the back teeth of being pregnant! Good luck with your appointments tomorrow, I am sure you will have great support from your IMs. Sending lots of lovely labour vibes your way.

learnermummy Mon 25-May-09 20:08:35

No, not confident with dates as LMP was first after a miscarriage and actually first scan at 7 weeks said EDD 6 days later than dates. However later scans agreed with dates. IMs plan to use this to argue in my favour.
Honestly can't remember sex back in August but do remember being surprised to have conceived that month, especially with having lost one tube to ectopic!
Currently sitting with Tens machine pads on two of the induction acupuncture points (desperation!). Will let you know how it goes tomorrow.

Loopymumsy Mon 25-May-09 20:16:51

Message withdrawn

ilovesummer Mon 25-May-09 20:20:50

I really feel for you. I was induced at 40 +13 after plannning a hb. I never thought that i'd end up being induced as I had my other 2dc at home. It was weird though because deep down I had a feeling with dc3 (he is 15 days old today) that I would be in hospital even though I wanted to have a hb. Do whatever feels right for you, trust your instinct, you can change your mind at any point. Induction was a totally different experience to a hb, but wonderful because i got my ds to hold in my arms at the end of it. I hope that you labour soon. smile

lulalullabye Tue 26-May-09 08:59:02

Any News ?? Where in the uk are you ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now