Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sterilisation during c-section? More post-op pain?

(9 Posts)
Noodleboo Wed 20-May-09 20:54:32

I am unexpectedly pregnant with number three (very happy though) and I have been offered a sterilisation at my c-section. Has anyone had this done; does it cause more post-op pain. Also, I have read on the internet that the success rate is not very good i.e I could get pregnant again.

Any info would be great!

JoeJoe1977 Wed 20-May-09 20:58:28

There has been a thread on this recently with lots of information in. Do a search and track it down. I had this done last year and didn't have more post op pain than previous CS, but I did have a really bad time at first CS so anything would've been better!

Noodleboo Wed 20-May-09 21:17:34

Thanks, will do a search again. I only found a thread from 2005.

procrastinatingparent Wed 20-May-09 21:22:06

I'm sure I posted on a thread about this not so long ago.

I had a sterilisation after my 4th CS and I think I recovered better than after any of the others. And thus far - over 2 years later - it's worked!

whomovedmychocolate Wed 20-May-09 21:35:42

Apparently it has a much higher failure rate - something to do with your body trying to repair itself post partum and things being all out of place because of the pregnancy. They refused to sterilise me at my last CS for this reason.

The actual op only takes an extra ten minutes. But it's worth asking for clips rather than tying etc. Because there is less chance of this failing.

Luckily hmm my surgeons gave me an incisional hernia during my last CS so they got to go back in later on to put in a mesh. Now I can't be sterilised at all because of the mesh (no point of access available) so.....DH is having the snip muwhwhwhahahhahahahah. grin

JoeJoe1977 Thu 21-May-09 08:37:59

The failure rate is higher with the clips or if you just have the tubes cut and the ends tied. This is because everything is engorged due to pregnancy hormones and when things settle back down the clips are more likely to slide off or the ties come undone.

It was because of this that I had my fallopian tubes completely removed rather than clipped or cut. Make sure that you discuss with your surgeon in detail before.

I did try to find the other thread to post a link but can't track it down.

LittleMissNorty Thu 21-May-09 08:44:03

I had a CS nearly 4 months ago and had planned to be sterilised at the same time. They would have cut a piece of tube away (as they do with men) rather than tie / clip which obviously is much more effective. Clips / ties are even less effective used at this time because your fallopian tubes are swollen as an effect of the pregnancy.

I was talked out of it however by the surgeon who said that statistically, there are more pregnancies in women that have been sterilised than in those that use the minera coil. And if you have heavy periods etc later on, they will advise you to have the coil anyway.

Noodleboo Thu 21-May-09 18:08:22

Thanks for all the posts - I think I need to have a chat with my doctor when i go for my first scan.

deakin82 Wed 10-Jun-09 11:45:02

i have recently found i was pregnant with baby no.3 (what a suprise). i had two natural but painful deliveries with my other two children but was hoping to have a csection this time round so that i can be sterilsed at the same time, is this possible?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now