Talk

Advanced search

anyone had 2 c sections and has 2 scars? is this normal?

(3 Posts)
reddragon Tue 19-May-09 21:10:15

Pregnant with 3rd and was discussing wanting VBAC but up against world of negative consultants who will be discussing rupture. Was talking to friends when I discovered I was the only one with 2 scars after 2 sections. Wondered if normal and whether it increases or lowers chance of rupture. Any info much appreicated!

procrastinatingparent Tue 19-May-09 21:17:21

I can't tell you about the chances of rupture but I have had 4 sections and each time they cut the previous scar out. I understood that was what they usually did, so I don't know why you have 2 scars.

FWIW, I did ask about VBAC for my third but got a very negative response. I dodn't push them very far or do much research though, so you may have a different experience.

bacon Fri 12-Jun-09 20:45:46

I have two scars, second one just above the last.

I have read so much on VBAC as was desperate for one on this last one but had a crash section but reasons not related (ARM & distress).

There is little evidence to say you have more chance of rupture with having a second section - there are loads of great papers available on the net (google it). If there is good gap between births then that helps.

Also risk of rupture is so rare its like amnios so much scare moungering using stats that take into account good and bad hospitals so stats are only averages.

I think you have to convince your consultant that the reasons for the previous c-sections were unrelated and there is no reason why you wouldnt labour well (if you laboured well in previous babys then they are more inclined). Most consultants are happy to do Trail labour but you would be monitored throughout labour.

The only problems with VBACs is inducement - they really dont like doing it and as you probably know inducement has higher chances of c-section but my agruement is the cost saving to the NHS if you deliver vaginally.

Go in there really positive but do not mention info from the internet (they dont like self diagnosis) if your notes are good, you are heathy, good weight then I see why they they couldnt agree with you. Be strong and dont be bullied at the end of the day consultants want an easy life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now