Talk

Advanced search

So if you're one of those people who can honestly say "labour didn't hurt that badly"...

(133 Posts)
Jacksmama Mon 18-May-09 19:30:11

... REALLY???

Honest?

How is that possible?

I am not taking the piss, I really honestly want to know. I've heard from one RL friend that it felt like "strong period pains" all the way through but that was as bad as it got. And I've read a few more posters on here who say the same thing.

shock shock shock

I am utterly jealous gobsmacked. Granted, Jackbaby was stuck crookedly between my pelvic bones, and I had back labour, but nothing, nothing, could have prepared me for how agonizingly, horribly, unbearably painful labour was.

So if you're one of those people, come talk to me because I'm really curious.

mrsmaidamess Mon 18-May-09 19:32:48

Well my second labour was satisfying rather than painful. It was so quick, and he slipped out so deliciously it was all over before it began.

oxocube Mon 18-May-09 19:35:28

2 and 3 weren't too bad. Number 1 was shocking, not because I had a bad labour but simply because nothing had prepared me for 'that sort of pain'. With 2 and 3, I knew what to expect and it helped. I wouldn't say it didn't hurt because it did, but not really badly and with dc3, I was up and cooking breakfast within 4 hours of delivery (again, no bravado here, but just trying to explain the level of pain and speed of recovery) Just luck and straight forward births I guess.

whomovedmychocolate Mon 18-May-09 19:36:42

DS being born hurt twice:

(1) Once when they put the cannula in for the drugs
(2) Once when I stubbed my toe getting up onto the bed.

Mind you I had two caesarians grin

Jacksmama Mon 18-May-09 19:37:08

Wow mrsmaida - I wish I could say that. It sounds wonderful.

nickytwotimes Mon 18-May-09 19:37:29

I had a straightforward labour and birth and it hurt like hell.
I was appalled. grin shock

I still remeber afterwards thinking that it was barbaric that some women have to go through it without the option of pain relief.

CoteDAzur Mon 18-May-09 19:38:15

maidamess - How big was this second baby?

notcitrus Mon 18-May-09 19:38:43

Well I've only had one baby... but it was like strong period pains only not constant so fine for about 6 hours, then after waters broke with possible bleeding went to hospital, bit rough.

Then I got G&A and a pool, and quite enjoyed the next 8 hours (except for when I forgot to huff gas...). Unfortunately my SPD-pelvis fell apart further and that was agony and I couldn't sit, stand, or lie down, and kneeling got tiring.

So I had an epidural after a 45-min consultation with the anaethestist who said "I think you'll like this!"

Didn't feel a thing then until a bit of an ache in the fanjo a day after birth. Took me a while to realise why! The bruise in my thigh from a speedy injection was more painful...

I think being used to pain (passing out from periods, costochondritis, months of SPD) helped.

popsycal Mon 18-May-09 19:39:00

ine were generally fine
but also short

lou031205 Mon 18-May-09 19:41:55

I agree, painful but short, so 'not that bad'. Still felt like I'd been hit by a bus afterwards, though.

Claire2009 Mon 18-May-09 19:42:55

Was in established labour from 10am-3pm the day Dd was born, it felt like strong period pains but they obviously got more regular and difficult to manage. I took the epi at 3pm and instantly the pain was gone, but I ended up having an emerg cs in the end.

MrsMattie Mon 18-May-09 19:45:08

My best mate says her first labour was like bad period pains. Second labour was like having a bad tummy upset.

Unfortunately, her third labour was painful. She was white with shock afterwards and said 'So that's what people meant when they said it hurt. they weren't bloody lying were they?'.

FairLadyRantALot Mon 18-May-09 19:46:34

OP... my first labour was painful but o.k., my 2. labour was fabulous, very very slow, but really not very painful at all....however, my 3. labour....well...lets not talk about it...lets just say, hell would have felt like I nice and cosy place... I think it hugely depends on many factors, your personal mindset , the Babies position, the speed of labour, what else is going on in yoru life etc.....etc....etc....

Jacksmama Mon 18-May-09 19:47:48

LOL MrsMattie - no they sure weren't!!!

My labour was hell. sad angry

Whenever someone says to me that hers wasn't so bad I want to ask if that was before or after the epidural grin... failing that, what recreational drugs she was on... grin

But for those of you whom it really didn't hurt that much... I salute you, WonderWomen!

FlyMeToDunoon Mon 18-May-09 19:47:59

After two induced labours with epidurals I had no idea what to expect really and so I laboured on thinking it would get much worse but it didn't. Pains were intense and I began to throw up which was awfull but never got to that screaming stage I imagined which no doubt accounted for the fact that I left getting to the hospital far too late.......

Baby was only 6 pounds which might account for something.

Verity79 Mon 18-May-09 19:51:02

I can honestly say I've had far worse periods. My periods (as a teenager) where usually 9 days+, I could bleed through a super tampon and super towel in 45 mins in the morning, once got through 16 night time towels between getting up and going to bed, I bled solidly for 35 days during A-levels, used to take 18 paracetmol a day to cope with the pain....etc

My 25 hour labour and 4 mins pushing were a picnic!

However my 4 day induction with epidural I won't wish on anyone!

Portofino Mon 18-May-09 19:51:42

Well I did 20 hours of contractions on gas and air after induction. It was hard work, and very tiring, but it wasn't SOOO bad that it would worry me doing it again. I have had worse toothache! But I ended up with em CS at the end so never did the "ring of fire" bit so not really qualified to comment....

treedelivery Mon 18-May-09 19:52:10

1st was looooong and mal positioned and stuck and I thought I was being murdered. I cuoldn't understand why everyone was just sat around watching. I lasted, adn I mean lasted, 4am till 8pm on gas and air, then epi and about 50 bags of synt till 2 am when I finally shifted her.

dd2 was pain, but more sensation. An overwhelming all powerfull sensation. I was texting till half hour before delivery.

As my birth story tells, doing the mega poo prior to crowning was the worst bit. Yuk and Ouch!

mrsmaidamess Mon 18-May-09 19:55:49

My second was 7lbs 10. Like a little hairy monkey.

GypsyMoth Mon 18-May-09 19:57:29

Have had 5 DC. All got progressively easier and with bigger and bigger babies. Strong period pains. Last one was a home birth, ten pounds three with the other DC all watching. Managed all with gas and air/tens. No stitches. All well and good, but what has amazed me is that I have got not one single stretch mark.......none! No idea why, makes me feel a bit of a fraud.....got no badge for this club!

jellybeans Mon 18-May-09 19:58:10

Mine were horrendously painful. I think some people forget the pain though afterwards, not me!!

littlelamb Mon 18-May-09 20:01:16

Yes
With dd I would have happily clawed my own eyeballs out to make it stop. Was a horrendous induced labour.
With ds, it was 3,5 hours of manageable discomfort that I felt in control of, which I think is the difference- pain is a whole lot more managable if you feel in control of it. Just before transition I started to panic and that's when the pain kicked in. As soon as I got that in check it was lovely

MrsMattie Mon 18-May-09 20:03:44

Jesus woman, you are my poster girl for birth!@ILoveTiffany. 5 kids, no painful labours, no stretchmarks and you did a 10 lb-er at home? You are my official MN heroine grin

(My birth stories are all 'induction-caesarean-stretchmark HELL type experiences shock grin)

Monkeyandbooba Mon 18-May-09 20:05:07

Yes I was one of those people, the contractions felt intense but not painful perse. I felt in control and relaxed throughout both labours, don't know whether it was luck or something I did but enjoyable nonetheless.

Monkeyandbooba Mon 18-May-09 20:06:30

I had two homebirths with G&A and pools, DD was 8lbs and DS nearly 10lbs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now