Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone had an undiagnosed breach birth?

(19 Posts)
fisil Fri 29-Apr-05 09:50:05

Did you have a sneaky feeling beforehand, or was it a complete surprise?

Pacific Fri 29-Apr-05 09:54:51

Fisil, do you have a sneaky feeling about it? If so, absolutely demand a scan. I could tell you my story but I don't want to frighten you.

fisil Fri 29-Apr-05 10:10:12

Everyone has said he is head down - I've had 3 GPs have a good old feel around in the last week. But I cannot get the position of the limbs sorted. I feel a heel where my GP reckons there should be a bum. I said that to her, and she said he could have his leg curled up under his bum, but then his heel is on backwards! I can also feel something on the other side from where she says the back is, and apart from a back and a head, I can't think of anything that big and solid! But they say the head is free - which suggests that they can actually feel a head down there!

So in short, yes I do feel a sneaky feeling.

You are adamant about demanding a scan - so did you have the same kind of sneaky feeling?

MissChief Fri 29-Apr-05 10:13:53

I was referred for scan when I/mw (rightly) suspected a breech then had scan followed by ECV at 36 weeks to turn him round. sure you should be offered/demand the same via yr mw.

Pacific Fri 29-Apr-05 10:26:16

Fisil, I had more than a sneaky feeling. I was sure it was a breech but no-one believed me and in fact I was branded a hysterical mother. Fortunately, all's well that ends well, but we came within an hair's width of having an absolute disaster.

I really do not wish to tell you the full story, but please insist on a scan.

fisil Fri 29-Apr-05 10:29:20

Do you feel then, pacific, that being branded a hysterical mother was worth it, IYSWIM? Because that's what I would want to avoid (seeing as I've suffered from Ante Natal Depression throughout this pregnancy)

fisil Fri 29-Apr-05 10:30:26

Also pacific, can you look at my sneaky feelings, and say whether yours were based on similar thoughts (and thank you for being so kind about sparing me the details!)

MissChief Fri 29-Apr-05 10:30:28

don't worry - don't think they see it as big deal, loads of women need last min scans for variety of reasons prior to birth. Insist on having one!

Pacific Fri 29-Apr-05 10:43:45

I could clearly feel the head up near my ribs. It feels like a ball floating inside a large water filled balloon. If you tap it, it bounces away from you. I think it feels quite distinctive.

The first person to palpate me was a doctor, who wrote in my notes that it was a head presentation. Everyone who palpated me after that were midwives who did not want to contradict what a doctor had written. So despite my protestations, I was ignored. Someone actually wrote 'br' in my notes then changed it to 'cep' (cephalic) after she saw what the Dr had written!

I should have been much more insistent but as usual, did not want to make a fuss and was scared that I was wrong and make the 'hysterical mother' tag worse.

fisil Fri 29-Apr-05 10:52:38

Thanks pacific. I will make a point of it. I will continue to have a good old feel about too - especially that bit that I'm not sure what it is!

Sorry you had such a tough time.

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 11:03:15

Yes, total surprise.

In hindsight - the midwives were very hazy about how 'engaged' the baby was.

My mum also said that the bump near my ribs looked a bit hard to be a bottom - could have mentioned that at the time mum, might have saved a bit of bother.

To be honest, would have liked to quiz midwives more, think they were a bit slack as was in hospital for 2 days before birth and no one felt my tummy for position of the baby in that time at all.

Had to have A CS in the end

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 11:05:44

i would ask for a scan. can be ermm very painful breech baby, more than usual even!!!!!

Angeliz Fri 29-Apr-05 11:09:31

fisil, my baby was breech at 29 weeks and i worried ever after even though 3 midwives told me she'd turned.
At my last check up at the hospital,(i was 38 weeks), i just asked for a quick scan to re-assure me, the consultant felt and said baby is definately head down but then said, "right, i'll go and get the scanner to reassure you as this is very important" I could've kissed him.
It only took 2 minutes so i don't see why they shouldn't if you're worried.

I was convinced my baby was breech until he clearly showed me her head.
Best of luck, i

Ameriscot2005 Fri 29-Apr-05 11:24:08

I knew that DD was breech - could clearly feel the sutures in her head. I didn't let anyone examine me after I realised (they aren't big on abdominal palpation in the US), so the breech was technically undiagnosed.

I did a lot of reading on breech, and decided that if you do nothing, chances are that it will be an uneventful birth. It's when you intervene that there are problems. And if the labour does not progress, then the baby is probably in one of the breech positions that make vaginal birth difficult or impossible, so it's straight to C-section.

I didn't have any problems, and didn't need any pain relief.

FLUM Fri 29-Apr-05 11:46:00

I think i was too fat for them to tell - hya ha was 14 stone by the end of ti

Donbean Fri 29-Apr-05 11:52:14

Total surprise to me!
Was 10cm dilated before they realised.It was aparently because he was so tiny and boney that they hadnt realised.
I had the same as Pacific with the head under ribs and used to push on it! thinking it was a bum.
I would insist on scan as well if i were you.

chipmonkey Fri 29-Apr-05 11:58:52

My consultant told me at 36 weeks that baby was head down, then at 38 weeks that baby was breech, had obviously turned. I knew that baby must have been breech all along because he wasn't that active at that stage and I would have felt him flip! Insist on a scan. Better to be safe than sorry.

fisil Fri 29-Apr-05 16:12:55

Thanks for all your thoughts.

Huge movements just now and there was a heel right in the middle of where GP said the back was. I cannot imagine how this baby is lying at all. Hope I do make it to my 41 week appt on Tues so I can ask them! If not, then, I'll make sure I make my feelings heard as soon as we get to the hospital.

jigger Fri 29-Apr-05 16:39:52

Scan scan scan. A total of 4 medical "professionals" were convinced my daughter was fully engaged head down within 36 hours of her arrival. Luckily labour wasn't that long but an emergency c section after 12 hours labour (longer than it took no 1 to arrive incidentally) and trying to sit still with contactions a minute apart so that they can do the anaesthetic into your spine is NOT amusing. All fine in the end obviously and the stay in hospital afterwards was more relaxing than going straight home but do insist on scans no matter how timepressed they are!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now