Talk

Advanced search

Thinking about a home birth, but....... any advice needed (Sorry its long!)

(4 Posts)
jofeb04 Tue 26-Apr-05 10:35:51

Hiya,
Im 18 weeks pg with 2nd child, and am starting to think about a home birth. However, Im really nervous about it at home because........
My ds was distressed in the womb in my last labour, so I had the oxytocin drip to quicken things up, I was being monitored constantly due to high blood pressure problems (blood pressure already raised even now!!), so couldnt move around at all, had to have an episiotomy as ds got "stuck" and then forceps were required. Lost a large amount of blood at this stage, which they believed was due to the blood pressure problem. Then ds was required to go special care for 6 days.
I dont know what my pain threshold would be like now, as i didnt push the baby out naturally.
Im interested in a home birth as people say its more relaxing, but im really scared of it being like my previous. I live 40 minutes away from the nearest hospital, and 15minutes from the ambulance station.
Whats the advice?
BTW, im nervous that if i went into the hospital, it may be like my previous anyway.

fastasleep Tue 26-Apr-05 10:40:52

I would suggest mentioning it as your preferred option to your midwives, they'll monitor you and if there's anything going on with your blood pressure they'll ask you to have a hospital birth - they're very twitchy about homebirths and use anything as an excuse to get you in the hospital in my experience! this is a great yahoo group, they know the answers to everything about homebirthing! HTH xx

zubb Tue 26-Apr-05 10:54:24

jofeb04 - I would talk to your midwife about your options as fastasleep said. I think it depends on where you live as to whether they are supportive of homebirths - in our area they are very keen on them and will do all they can to support your choice.

rubles Tue 26-Apr-05 21:27:34

I would second fastasleep's recommendation of the yahoo group. Lots of knowledgable midwives/women there who are really supportive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now