Talk

Advanced search

Definitely *don't* want a home birth!!

(73 Posts)
pamina Thu 17-Apr-03 22:04:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Mo2 Thu 17-Apr-03 22:38:44

OK, sorry, but you DID ask ... i think you're just being silly....

No, seriously though, I really wouldn't voluntarily opt for an induction just to be sure that you'll be at the hospital. Although having your waters broken is sometimes seen as a 'mild' i.e. drug-free form of induction, it is still just that - induction, and induction increases the chance of other risks for you and your baby. What if you have your waters broken and you don't go into labour? Then you'll be facing a drug induction. Either way, you'll be increasing the likelihood of you needing intervention to give birth.
I would seriously wait until you are at least 42 weeks before considering induction. If you're worried about the journey, try to leave as soon as you get the first suspected twinge of labour -as it's baby no.2 you'll at least more confidently recognise it!

Although it's frequently true that 2nd labours are shorter, it's not always the case, and bear in mind that induced labours (like your first) tend to be quicker?

I had my waters broken with DS2 at 42+ 3 weeks, but that was following a lot of heartache and decision-making. Basically having had a c-section first time around I was hoping to avoid a second, but given I had a scar, a drug induction was not an option, so it was waters broken or an elective section. I made the decision to have my waters broken after 42 weeks, because it is at this point (post 42 weeks) that the risk of something happening to the baby (e.g. placenta failing) begins to increase rapidly.

Sorry if I sound like I'm preaching, but I really can't understand why people want to hurry nature unless there are really good reasons/risks. You say you don't want 'to risk going 10 days overdue and going into labour spontaneously' - arguably this is the LEAST risky option since at 40 +10 you are not yet 'overdue' actually and spontaneous labour is as nature intended! HTH

judetheobscure Thu 17-Apr-03 22:51:17

You are within your rights to call for an ambulance when you go into labour. That way there will be care for you on the way to hospital. Or "opt" for homebirth - a midwife will come to you and she can call an ambulance to take you into hospital if that is deemed advisable or if you change your mind.
That's the theory - worth checking with your midwife to make sure that it works in practice in your area.

judetheobscure Thu 17-Apr-03 22:52:08

PS - seconding Mo2 re trying to avoid induction. Agree with everything she says.

lou33 Thu 17-Apr-03 23:21:57

My doctor induced me at 36 weeks because i always went into labour early and they were all precipitous, and getting quicker. Just as well because ds2 arrived 22mins after he broke my waters.They gave me a gel pessary to start the contractions first, although I wasn't really aware of any, but it must have worked because I was 4cm when they broke them.

SueW Fri 18-Apr-03 00:00:33

Pamina is a planned home birth, as opposed to unplanned, out of the question?

pamina Fri 18-Apr-03 12:48:15

pamina Fri 18-Apr-03 12:49:46

pupuce Fri 18-Apr-03 19:30:47

Pamina - you know me

I agree with Mo2... you may not have such a quick labour next time (espcecially as first one was induced I actually do not think that its length was real.... i.e. faster because of the induction).

A fast birth is usually safer than a slower one as well.

You can have a planned home birth ANY time.... the NHS must provide you with a midwife.

Don't forget average gestational age is 41 weeks... even though EDD is 40 weeks.

If for any reason things are happening too fast you can go on all fours bum in the air... that will slow down things a bit too.

TRY TO RELAX... don't forget you're not ill... but doing a very natural physiological thing : having a baby

chanelno5 Fri 18-Apr-03 19:48:24

Hi Pamina - sorry to hear you're so worried about things, though totally understandable after last time and natural to feel jittery about everything when you are so near to the end of pregnancy. I agree with what has already been said, at the first twinge, set off for the hospital. You will be able to recognise the signs of labour easier this time round. Not long for you to hang on now (get dh to make you a really hot curry and a night of passion might just do the trick). Will be thinking of and look forward to hearing your news. Have a good Easter. Love C

Marina Sat 19-Apr-03 09:34:20

Pamina, sorry to hear this is giving you some anxiety. I can't offer *any* advice from personal experience but I know your concerns about the abruption last time and I know you have been carefully monitored this time round because of it. With that incident safely behind you, I think I would be thinking along your lines regarding "going over dates", and would also not want a homebirth either, but would personally be keen to avoid being induced too...hmmm. Think Jude's idea of the ambulance (it's easy to forget we have that to call on in an emergency) is a great one - not only stain-proof transport but competent staff on hand to help you.
chanel is right too - get cracking on those chicken phals and bombay potatoes, and hope you manage a relaxing-ish weekend. I think anyone at nearly 40 weeks is going to feel jittery on a long bank holiday weekend! cyberhugs and good luck!

mears Sat 19-Apr-03 10:03:27

Pamina - what you have to bear in mind was that your labour was induced because of a reason - abruption. Often labours are fast where there is a recognised problem as the body takes over to get the baby delivered. The body is probably on the brink of starting labout itself when the induction takes place - hence fast labour.
You is more likely that you will not have any placental problems this time - it is a totally different pregnancy. If all is well I would advise you to go into labour spontaneously.
I have seen many women over the years coming in to 'get their waters broken' and labour not starting without drips, epidurals etc. If labour is not due to start you just about need a stick of dynamite to get it going. I have also seen many failed inductions ending in caesarean section.
If there is no good indication for induction then trust your body to do the job. HTH.

bundle Sat 19-Apr-03 11:28:34

pamina, I'm going to be induced (gels but not syntocinin) on Tuesday (40+13) and hope my body will kick in on its own before then. I had an emergency c-sect last time and know this is a risk with induction, but feel prepared for just about any eventuality (except of course the Melly scenario ). I agree with Mears re: stick of drynamite, I'm already 2cm, cervix soft, effaced etc and all rumblings have died down since I had a sweep on Weds. I think the uncertainty is the worst bit about all this childbirth business but it does help if you trust those who are caring for you - I hope that's the case

pupuce Sat 19-Apr-03 19:42:00

Bundle - well done on getting such a late date for an induction... I am sure you'll do it

bundle Sun 20-Apr-03 15:43:14

thanks pupuce, still feeling reasonably positive
it's dd/dh I feel for - the tension is killing them

SoupDragon Sun 20-Apr-03 16:04:59

Don't worry - the leather interior would be wipe clean afterwards

Sorry, I've nothing sensible to say really. Good luck though!

forest Sun 20-Apr-03 21:25:44

Is 40 + 13 a late date for induction? I thought that was normal?

pupuce Sun 20-Apr-03 21:31:03

Forest - for a VBAC they usually pressure you to not go beyond 41 weeks.Not saying I agree with that BTW!

Wills Sun 20-Apr-03 21:34:37

Mears - the stick of dynamite LOL! I was induced at 40 + 4 and the first bit of gel worked within minutes and my contractions were 1.5 minutes apart - for almost 30 hours. DD was not ready to come out and in terms of inducing me next time they are going to have to be very very persausive as I have my heart set of starting naturally! I'm sure at 40 weeks I could waddle b****y fast away from anyone threatening to induce me!

Good luck.

forest Sun 20-Apr-03 21:54:31

I hadn't realised there would be a difference with a VBAC.
Bundle hoping you don't have to be induced.
I'm with you Wills - induced with my first and although I actually enjoyed my birth experience there is no way I want to be induced again. I really want to know what it feels like for labour to start naturally.

pupuce Sun 20-Apr-03 21:55:56

Forest - there shouldn't be .... but often it's the sad truth

Wills Sun 20-Apr-03 22:12:03

Being thick here but can't work out what VBAC means?

Ghosty Sun 20-Apr-03 22:16:21

Wills ... Vaginal Birth After Caesarian ....

clucks Sun 20-Apr-03 22:17:09

Dear Pamina

As you know I'm pretty anxious too right now, being 40+4 and a section booked for thurs. I have kind of lost my resolve for non-intervention etc and will accept my fate if nothing happens in the next couple of days. DH is secretly pleased nothing has happened yet as he is worried about staff levels at the unit over the easter period. I am pretty tense myself and wish you all the best, we may still come across each other on the ward.

Bundle,

Good luck to you too. Still remember how nice you were to me at another hysterical moment.

Ghosty Sun 20-Apr-03 22:17:27

Good luck Bundle ... thinking of you XXXXXX

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: