Talk

Advanced search

Induction worries...Did your waters breaking hurt????

(14 Posts)
CrazyDi Fri 22-Apr-05 10:04:27

When I had ds I was under an epidural so felt nothing when they broke my waters, but when I went into labour with dd they decided instead of an epidural I needed my waters breaking and do you know...I found it agonising. I cant explain it..it was the worst feeling I have ever felt but when I have mentioned it to other people they all say that it didnt hurt or bother them at all!! I have quite a high pain threshold and cant understand...did anyone elses hurt them??

I am only asking as I am starting to worry as am now 8 days overdue and it looks like i will have to get induced on monday, but they mentioned that in some cases they will just break the waters to get things going and i am petrified of this!! Can I refuse and just go with the gel???

colditz Fri 22-Apr-05 10:09:18

Mine broke on there own and I didn't even realise, so no, it did not hurt at all!

colditz Fri 22-Apr-05 10:09:46

Their own

Newbarnsleygirl Fri 22-Apr-05 10:10:08

I do remember it twinging a bit but I went in to labour naturally and the midwife broke my water when I was 8cm dilated to speed things up.

I did refuse up until then to have them broke going on advice from my other midwife. She said it's more uncomfortable for the baby when the waters brake as they feel the contractions more.
When they broke mine they found meconium in the water and dd's heartbeat had dipped.

lunarx Fri 22-Apr-05 10:13:51

the midwife broke mine when i was 8cm, it didnt hurt, but with the contractions every minute, i wouldnt have noticed anyway!

beansprout Fri 22-Apr-05 10:15:38

Mine broke naturally (about the only natural aspect of the whole birth!!!) but it just felt like a pop and that I had wet myself, big time. And it kept on coming.

Dp actually said, "not a bad life, laying on a bed, continuously wetting yourself". Mmmm, he wasn't so envious when the contractions started!

strawberry Fri 22-Apr-05 10:20:49

I am also 8 days overdue and being induced on monday if nothing happens. If the cervix is closed you will get prostaglandin gel to soften it. But if it is open 1cm or so then they will be able to break waters to start you off - no need for gel. So it all depends on the day. Of course you don't have to be induced - you could ask for a couple more days and just be monitored.

Good luck - hopefully we will both have some good news over the weekend!

starlover Fri 22-Apr-05 10:26:07

I had my waters broken and it didn't hurt at all!
I felt the pressure release, and then it was all wet and warm... a bit like weeing yourself!
I have to admit I quite liked it

biglips Fri 22-Apr-05 10:28:25

mine exactly the same as Starlover - it was all wet and warm

Frizbe Fri 22-Apr-05 10:33:29

Waters breaking didn't hurt, but then I was 10cm dilated and ready to push when midwife got soaked!!! oopse!!! comes with the job I'm sure!

Hazellnut Fri 22-Apr-05 10:33:50

I found it really uncomfortable and a generally unpleasant process !! But, I was only just 1 cm dilated and was borderline as to whether they thought they could break them. It took ages and had been through a lot to get to that stage. Also, I was 3 weeks early so the doctors said my body was just not ready for labour so this may not have helped. I was given gas and air during the process though that did help if only to take your mind off what they were doing and subsequently I have heard of others who had gas and air during it so ask for that if it has to happen !

mears Fri 22-Apr-05 10:42:35

It isn't the waters breaking that hurts, it is the internal examination to find them. If the cervix is near the front and dilated, and the waters and felt easily then it doesn't hurt. However, if you are being induced and the cervix is to the back (posterior) and the waters are not bulging then it can be painful.

The trick is to bend your knees, put the soles of your feet together and really relax your thighs. If you tense up and raise your thighs from the bed, the cervix gets pulled back more and it means the person doing the examination needs to reach in more which makes it more painful - a vicious cycle really. I agree with using gas and air while having it done if it is going to be difficult. It really only is a problem when being induced. Gel is only needed if the cervix is not soft and dilated at all. If all that is needed is the waters broken to start labour, it can be a bad thing to give gel because the contractions can become to fast and strong which isn't good for mum or baby.

starlover Fri 22-Apr-05 10:42:50

ahh... I was about 5cm when they did mine I think.

SaintGeorge Fri 22-Apr-05 10:48:05

Didn't hurt, more a mild discomfort for a second.

It was more terror really, from the sight of a severe looking midwife approaching me with what looked like a giant crochet hook and figuring out where she planned to shove it <<shudder>>!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now