Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Was childbirth the most painful thing you've ever experienced?

(240 Posts)
dinosaur Thu 21-Apr-05 15:56:35

Was chatting to a friend who doesn't have kids earlier today. She was talking about having hurt her neck quite badly a few years ago, and comparing war stories with another friend who had to have surgery for a bad back. She made a jokey comment about her and her friend agreeing that after what they'd been through, coping with the pain of childbirth would be a doddle.

Just wondered - has anyone on here experienced physical pain that was worse than giving birth? I haven't myself, and by god I hope I never do!

Azure Thu 21-Apr-05 15:57:49

Yes, childbirth was the most painful thing. By a looooong way.

morningpaper Thu 21-Apr-05 15:57:51

Childbirth was so awful that it didn't even fit into the category 'pain'...

bundle Thu 21-Apr-05 15:58:12

burst eardrum was pretty close, though my childbirth experiences are ltd to 2 c/s (laboured first time, but not 2nd).

binkie Thu 21-Apr-05 15:58:59

Peritonitis (the kind of appendicitis that kills you) is the only thing that ever made me feel "hmm there's a pain somewhere in this room, but I'm not sure if it's really to do with me"

fruitful Thu 21-Apr-05 15:59:00

Yes but only because I've had two caesareans .

leander Thu 21-Apr-05 15:59:19

No!! i had my wisdom teeth out just after having ds and would rather give birth than go through that pain again it was excruciating.

expatinscotland Thu 21-Apr-05 16:00:08

Truth? Yes. No doubt. And I've had 4 surgeries on my legs and broken a couple of bones.

SoupDragon Thu 21-Apr-05 16:01:04

Hmmm. Yes and no... the thing about the pain of childbirth is that, appalling as it is, it goes completely once the baby is born (bar the soreness and a few afterpains!). The long drawn out nature of things like severe back pain makes it seem worse I think. And you're expected to get on with normal life with other sorts of pain, with childbirth you "just" have to concentrate on chidbirth.

piffle Thu 21-Apr-05 16:01:25

yes I had quinsey, complication of tonsilitis - AGONY
And I had an ectopic last yr, that pain was pass out material and afterwards too.
I would never want to repeat either again
Oh and I broke 27 bones at once when I was 16 but that has been forgotten now

QueenEagle Thu 21-Apr-05 16:01:32

Sinusitis which can go on for days and days and also having wisdom teeth out are prob more painful because it drags on.

At least with childbirth it's over relatively quickly and the hormones that kick in once baby is born makes you forget the pain.

bundle Thu 21-Apr-05 16:02:41

oh, and dd1 accidentally kicking me in my c/s scar the day after dd2 was born prompted a scream for "more morphine!!"

Miaou Thu 21-Apr-05 16:02:44

Not personally, but have a friend who had a burst appendix when her dd was about three months old. She said the pain was far worse than labour, and obviously labour was recent enough for her to make a comparison!

collision Thu 21-Apr-05 16:02:59

There are different types of pain though, arent there?

Toothache can really hurt and flu makes you ache. I had stitches in my leg once and the injections to numb the area really really hurt...I can still remember the pain.

It did hurt with ds2 (epidural with ds1) but I knew it would soon be over so maybe that is why it didnt seem to hurt as much! Iwas only in labour for 6 hours.....maybe if it had been 48 hours it would haave been a lot worse!

wilbur Thu 21-Apr-05 16:03:20

Yes, although at least there was a point to it, which made it more bearable. Spilling a mug of boiling tea into my lap and burning my inner thighs and crotch comes a very close second though. I have had 6 different surgeries and none of them came even remotely close on the painometer to those two.

PsychoFlame Thu 21-Apr-05 16:03:33

I don't know... it doesn't seem so bad because there is a good outcome you know about... I had a week long migraine that I dread the thought of more than I do childbirth.

Flame

unicorn Thu 21-Apr-05 16:05:13

it wasn't the childbirth but it was the bl**dy piles afterwards <eeekkkkkk, the very memory makes me wince!>

Potty1 Thu 21-Apr-05 16:05:42

Not for me no, I had a twisted bowel in my twenties and that was worse. If I had the choice I'd take childbirth, but it definitely helps knowing what your pain is and knowing that it will come to an end.

wilbur Thu 21-Apr-05 16:05:54

Blimey piffle - how did you break 27 bones at once? Did you crush a foot?

SaintGeorge Thu 21-Apr-05 16:09:42

No, passing a kidney stone was the worst pain.

DH assures me that massive third degree burns followed by stapling on skin grafts beats both by a mile.

Eaney Thu 21-Apr-05 16:16:17

Had last baby without any pain relief (no time) and a slipped disc I had a couple of years ago was probably worse. The sciatic pain was so bad at times I broke a couple of spindles in the staircase I griped them so hard.

motherinferior Thu 21-Apr-05 16:19:18

NONONONONONONO

motherinferior Thu 21-Apr-05 16:19:44

I meant yes , no nothing has come close.

Amberlilli Thu 21-Apr-05 16:20:29

YES!!

Newbarnsleygirl Thu 21-Apr-05 16:20:36

I actually remember saying I would do it all over again just hours after giving birth.

It was painful but I coped with it pretty well.

When I miscarried, that was painful. I passed out from the pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now