Advanced search

Homebirth and Group B Strep

(11 Posts)
Sallie Tue 19-Apr-05 09:21:10

I tested positive for Group B strep shortly after delivering my dd (no 2 baby). I would really like to have a homebirth this time but is it completely out of the question because of the Group B strep?

Sallie Thu 21-Apr-05 09:23:36


throckenholt Thu 21-Apr-05 09:26:33

have a look at this - it may be able to answer your question.

I thought you needed to have iv antibiotics if you are group b strep carrier - but I may be wrong.

nicky111 Sun 24-Apr-05 22:17:43

I have Group B strep and was advised by the consultant that I would need IV antibiotics from the start of any future labour. I didn't know I carried Group B strep when I had my DD and she acquired a Group B infection during delivery. She was very poorly and was in special care for eight days. I'm not trying to scare you - this isn't common - but it's something to take on board when making your decision.

giraffeski Sun 24-Apr-05 22:21:03

Message withdrawn

giraffeski Sun 24-Apr-05 22:22:16

Message withdrawn

JulieF Sun 24-Apr-05 22:29:51

Have a look at the homebirth reference website it has a page about homebirth and group b strep here

The author has experience of group b strep and provides refernces and info for you to make your own mind up

Also the homebirth Uk email groups and the uk midwifery group are good sources too

99redballoons Mon 25-Apr-05 09:53:48

nicky111, if you don't mind me asking, what was your labour like with your dd? A long one, how long had your waters been broken before delivery etc? Feel free to tell me to 'go away'!

I had confirmed gbs infection after my ds was born, so not sure if I'm still infected this time round (only 12wks at the mo) and am trying to make a decision on a home birth or not. Thanks!

nicky111 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:04:08

I was induced on thw Wednesday afternoon but waters did not break until 2am Friday morning. my temperature rose so DD born by emergency C-section at 1.30pm. I did not hold my daughter until around 6pm as she was having antibiotics. It was very frightening - they suspected it was meningitis but fortuantely it never developed into that. The doctor said the fact they had managed to get antibiotics into her as soon as she was born 'caught it early' as she put it, meant she had a good chance of recovery. Looking back, it was awful but made bearable by the NHS staff who were brilliant.She did recover but after my experience I will certainly be in hospital for the next one. I think there are some Strep B websites if you search on google that could give you more information.

jambo1707 Tue 26-Apr-05 20:22:01

I had group b strep also while carrying the twins

Natural was out of the question as I had emergency c section, but midwife advised tomhave section because of this

99redballoons Wed 27-Apr-05 13:23:04

Thanks for the information. Gosh, nicky111, that must have been so worrying. I have since looked at a few more websites and they do say that a temperature during labour does put you into a high-risk category for your babe to get gbs on delivery. Why oh why don't they test us routinely ?!!??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: