Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

lotus birth

(63 Posts)
oatcake Mon 18-Apr-05 11:03:23

for those of you who don't know, lotus birth is where you keep the placenta and cord attached to the baby until it drops off naturally.

has anyone done this after their birth experience? Could I ask why? And did it achieve what you wanted it to achieve?

Friend, whom I plan to be a birthing partner to, wants to practise this and I would like to know more about it.

suzywong Mon 18-Apr-05 11:05:05

there was a thread about this a year ago
you need to sprinkle them with lavender flowers or is it salt to stop the whiff

Nice to do if you can handle it I suppose but not very practical

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 11:06:35

Salt, I think. As a preservative.

Personally I think new babies are hard enough to deal with sans placenta, but hey what do I know.

ggglimpopo Mon 18-Apr-05 11:07:56

Message withdrawn

SPARKLER1 Mon 18-Apr-05 11:08:42

I'd never heard of this before now. How long would it take to drop off then? Not sure I fancy it the smell must be horrendous. It's bad enough waiting for the stump of cord to fall off.

suzywong Mon 18-Apr-05 11:09:14

DayknowhaddImean!

sounds like an enormous amount of extra hassle and your friend may get upset if it's not possible to do it, you know what your expectations are like when you are a new mum

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 11:10:07

I expected chaos punctuated by occasional vodka

ggglimpopo Mon 18-Apr-05 11:11:04

Message withdrawn

snafu Mon 18-Apr-05 11:11:47

oatcake, have a look at this link for some interesting pictures. Scroll down and click on the picture gallery link.

oatcake Mon 18-Apr-05 11:13:30

She's due mid June so if it's a hot one, I can almost smell it now... as a student midwife, I know that fresh placentas don't smell so great...

I will try and find out about some evidence-based literature, but doubt there'll be much available because it's not something that's practised so often.

And yes, my colleagues on shift yesterday did mention that animals actually chew the cord off...

Food for thought eh...

suzywong Mon 18-Apr-05 11:19:16

after looking at that I have to say no no no no

No.

NomDePlume Mon 18-Apr-05 11:19:38

"placenta draining onto a towel" - ick, yuck, <gag>

ggglimpopo Mon 18-Apr-05 11:21:33

Message withdrawn

snafu Mon 18-Apr-05 11:21:54

Can't say it appeals to me. And I'm not really sure of the point. There's probably slightly less risk of infection, but that's about the only plus I can think of.

NomDePlume Mon 18-Apr-05 11:22:36

It looks hideous and the flesh is starting to rot FFS ! It will be a redundant lump of rotting flesh once delivered, no matter many cute towelling nappies you wrap it in. I'd imagine it would frighten the living daylights out of my older kids if we'd have presented DD to them with the placenta still attached, revolting.

I really don't see the point.

oatcake Mon 18-Apr-05 11:22:37

thank you snafu... it would not actually be for me... but my job is to support my friend non-judgementally. she's had a fantastically 'alternative' birth so far. after detoxing for 2 years, she conceived straight away and has had no scans and refuses the use of sonicaids and has hired an independent midwife who is more in line with her thinking.

each to their own eh?

SPARKLER1 Mon 18-Apr-05 11:22:50

Oh Snafu that link is awful. How, why do they do it. Sorry - it's not for me! Bleeeuuurrrgh.

SPARKLER1 Mon 18-Apr-05 11:23:31

OMG - I never even knew this happened. You learn something new every day on MN!!!

oatcake Mon 18-Apr-05 11:23:50

LOL, NDP. Luckily, no other kids involved!

NomDePlume Mon 18-Apr-05 11:24:31

Of course, each to their own, but the more I read bout this 'method', the more bewildered I am by it !

suzywong Mon 18-Apr-05 11:24:33

well yes, I agree each to there own, just hope it goes OK... be bloody awful if there was something the scan could have picked up that caused complications though, but yes each to their own

[I'm sure a lot of people think I'm a wierdo for still BFing ds2 19 months at night]

snafu Mon 18-Apr-05 11:24:39

I think there's also some stuff on the ARM site, oatcake. Might have some links to research?

suzywong Mon 18-Apr-05 11:26:08

look in archives, there was a link ot a different thread a in 2003

can't be arsed to do it myself

motherinferior Mon 18-Apr-05 11:26:58

Was she trying to conceive while detoxing? Just wondered. What with personally having got up duff instantly and somewhat accidentally on a wash of booze

snafu Mon 18-Apr-05 11:28:38

Can't find the thread but another link here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: