Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Should I take a Yoga mat to hospital?

(6 Posts)
jen992 Mon 02-Mar-09 11:26:12

I find being on all fours really helpful during labour (this is my 2nd pg) and it significantly reduces back ache BUT should I take my yoga mat to the hospital (for hygiene reasons would rather not be on all fours on a scummy hospital floor!!)... or is that just stupid turning up with a mat?

I don't fancy being on all fours on the bed as i'd be scared of falling off!!

Do hospitals provide anything I could use on the floor? even just a blanket to protect my knees and stop me having to touch the floor?

hhmmmm.....

superdenki Mon 02-Mar-09 11:59:26

I took one for my first, along with enough clothing and entertainment for a weeks' stay in a hotel grin. Didn't actually use it myself as they had a birth ball which I found more comfy, but my husband lay on it periodically as he had really bad sciatica at the time! So it did come in useful...but I probably won't bother this time.

Kopparbergkate Mon 02-Mar-09 16:18:05

If there's anything you think you might want, take it!! I knew that i wanted a birthing ball cus I'd found the one i bought really comfy to bounce on whilst in early labour at home but (stupidly) i didn't take my ball to hospital with me because I knew they had balls there and I thought i'd look stupid arriving at hospital with a bloody enormous ball!

Fast forward to actual labour ward and the only birth ball not in use in the whole place was a small one designed for 5'2 ish women when I'm 5'7 with disproportionately long legs - i was bouncing on the bloody thing with my knees up round my ears. I wasn't comfy but there was sod all that could be done... take your mat!

jen992 Mon 02-Mar-09 17:13:18

LOL at Kopparbergkate!!! I'm taking my ball with me due to that very reason! I'm 5ft 9 and my ball is huge! I mean HUGE... when it's fully inflated it won't actually fit thru a standard doorway! So we're going to semi deflate it and take it with us! Think I will play safe and take the mat (doesn't take up much room)!

Wish this baby boy would hurry up, I'm already 40+9!!!

dinkystinky Tue 03-Mar-09 09:18:58

You may as well take it but you can be on all fours on the bed if you want.

dinkystinky Tue 03-Mar-09 09:20:06

Oh, just saw you're worried about falling off the bed - I never really worried about that as the beds are quite wide and DH was there to make sure I didnt go flying off...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: