Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I take a Yoga mat to hospital?

(6 Posts)
jen992 Mon 02-Mar-09 11:26:12

I find being on all fours really helpful during labour (this is my 2nd pg) and it significantly reduces back ache BUT should I take my yoga mat to the hospital (for hygiene reasons would rather not be on all fours on a scummy hospital floor!!)... or is that just stupid turning up with a mat?

I don't fancy being on all fours on the bed as i'd be scared of falling off!!

Do hospitals provide anything I could use on the floor? even just a blanket to protect my knees and stop me having to touch the floor?

hhmmmm.....

superdenki Mon 02-Mar-09 11:59:26

I took one for my first, along with enough clothing and entertainment for a weeks' stay in a hotel grin. Didn't actually use it myself as they had a birth ball which I found more comfy, but my husband lay on it periodically as he had really bad sciatica at the time! So it did come in useful...but I probably won't bother this time.

Kopparbergkate Mon 02-Mar-09 16:18:05

If there's anything you think you might want, take it!! I knew that i wanted a birthing ball cus I'd found the one i bought really comfy to bounce on whilst in early labour at home but (stupidly) i didn't take my ball to hospital with me because I knew they had balls there and I thought i'd look stupid arriving at hospital with a bloody enormous ball!

Fast forward to actual labour ward and the only birth ball not in use in the whole place was a small one designed for 5'2 ish women when I'm 5'7 with disproportionately long legs - i was bouncing on the bloody thing with my knees up round my ears. I wasn't comfy but there was sod all that could be done... take your mat!

jen992 Mon 02-Mar-09 17:13:18

LOL at Kopparbergkate!!! I'm taking my ball with me due to that very reason! I'm 5ft 9 and my ball is huge! I mean HUGE... when it's fully inflated it won't actually fit thru a standard doorway! So we're going to semi deflate it and take it with us! Think I will play safe and take the mat (doesn't take up much room)!

Wish this baby boy would hurry up, I'm already 40+9!!!

dinkystinky Tue 03-Mar-09 09:18:58

You may as well take it but you can be on all fours on the bed if you want.

dinkystinky Tue 03-Mar-09 09:20:06

Oh, just saw you're worried about falling off the bed - I never really worried about that as the beds are quite wide and DH was there to make sure I didnt go flying off...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now