Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

Does anyone know if St Thomas' are still restricting out of area referrals?

(21 Posts)
EldonAve Wed 25-Feb-09 20:08:09

There is a notice up in my GPs suggesting St Thomas' doesn't want to take out of area referrals but it's quite old

Anyone know if it's hard to book in there?
I'm only just out of area

Lotster Thu 26-Feb-09 10:14:38

Hi there, had my last baby at St Thomas'. If you are so close it might be worth asking your GP to send a referral request ASAP to see what they say.

I'm now booked at Kingston this time round, and I was told they were extremely busy and I'd be lucky to get accepted as I was out of area, but my GP sent a request and it was fine. This was just a few months ago.

EldonAve Thu 26-Feb-09 10:32:36

Thanks

Dophus Thu 26-Feb-09 10:34:34

To the best of my knowledge you now have free choice and they can't decline.

I didn't want my local hospital for either of my children. Had to apply for the first as a referral (4 years agos). 2 years ago was told that I now had free choice.

Lotster Thu 26-Feb-09 10:38:31

Hmm, are you in London Dophus? Just wondered because if not maybe it's a London thing? Both pregnancies I have been given a choice of the nearest three, and had to apply for any others.

Free choice would be wonderful though!

Dophus Thu 26-Feb-09 10:45:36

No - SE England. I was told at the time it was a national thing. It may be nearest three though - we have three local.

EldonAve Thu 26-Feb-09 12:19:36

Thanks everyone
My GP wouldn't refer me there, said patients were being refused but St T took 4+ weeks to let them know so some people were missing their 12 week scan

Lotster Thu 26-Feb-09 12:26:05

Well if it's any consolation I didn't enjoy my experience there!

Any others you fancy?

EldonAve Thu 26-Feb-09 15:29:03

going for St George's
I preferred Tommies last time

Lotster Thu 26-Feb-09 16:49:10

Aah, I'm having my C/S tomorrow at Kingston but will be discharged back to the George's midwives (who I must say have always been lovely) and HV's... Both times I've started my care with George's, then switched - must be giving them a complex!

Good luck anyway.

EldonAve Thu 26-Feb-09 17:44:19

Hope all goes well tomorrow

Lotster Thu 26-Feb-09 17:52:45

thanks smile

lizzytee Sun 01-Mar-09 17:04:25

I am opposite side of the catchment area for Tommy's (Greenwich)and the practice seems to be that if you are high risk and want a referral it is not a problem but they resist taking straightforward cases from out of area due to capacity issues (I think they expect to deliver aroung 6,500 babies this year).

HTH

EldonAve Mon 02-Mar-09 11:28:06

Thanks lizzytee

cath36 Mon 02-Mar-09 18:40:34

I was referred by my GP with no issues - it was done at about 16/17 weeks. I had no risk factors, I think if they have space they'll take you. I was also just out of catchment, I should have been at Kings. Good luck.

EldonAve Mon 02-Mar-09 20:35:25

Thanks cath36 - I might try and switch to T's later

schmostin Wed 04-Mar-09 15:08:11

I'm 6 weeks, live just outside their catchment area and my GP referral has just been rejected because they're full. Same thing happened with dd1 at 7mths (I'd just moved into area and needed to transfer). I called and spoke to Head Midwife and explained all the reasons I wanted St T's...midwife-led care, not heard one good thing about my local (Lewisham) and she relented and let me in. Am going to try same again. Otherwise I thing it's King's for me, but that's a consultant-led unit and looks like a bugger to get to from where I work wink

lizzytee Wed 04-Mar-09 17:07:51

schmostin, not sure how old your dd1 is now but reports about Lewisham have been better lately - they were threatened with closure last year if they didn't improve and will be opening a midwife led unit though not sure when that comes on stream.

EldonAve Wed 04-Mar-09 18:38:40

thanks schmostin - I need consultant led care but might try switching later if possible

schmostin Thu 05-Mar-09 14:42:30

Thanks lizzytee. Just spoke to a friend who had her first at Lewisham. She's having second there too, and has put my mind at rest a bit. Think I'll go for it and try and transfer later if I'm not happy.
Good luck EldonAve.

lizzytee Thu 12-Mar-09 10:23:14

HTH, am aware of how difficult it is to make decisions like this. Both my pregnancies have been high risk, which tends to mean better care so I'm a bit loath to make recommendations based on my own experience, as it is so subjective.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: