Talk

Advanced search

hi just had anomoly and though baby is fine

(10 Posts)
hobbgoblin Thu 19-Feb-09 17:09:31

i have placenta praevia, am reading old threads but feelingq quite glum andworried
cscuse typing am using on screen keyboad

snackattack Thu 19-Feb-09 17:14:37

Don't be glum. It's very common and often rectifies itself before delivery of the baby. What in particular is making you glum? So glad to hear that the baby is fine!

DontlookatmeImshy Thu 19-Feb-09 17:29:05

Like sa says it often rectifies as your womb expands and pull the placenta up and away from the cervix. I assume you have to go back for another scan around 32-34 weeks. If it hasn't moved you may be admitted to hospital until you give birth so I would recommend having an action plan in case this happens. Eg who will look after any other dc's if you have them, having everything ready for the baby well in advance etc.

hobbgoblin Fri 20-Feb-09 13:43:41

Hi

Am borrowing a laptop now so can type properly!

Thanks for replying. The things making me glum are:

Worrying about serious risks - baby being premature
Worrying about being hospitalised before the birth with no one to care for 3 DC
Giving up home birth
Having a C section, esp. not being there for the moment this baby comes into the world.

Does Aloha still post here under a different name? I think she left didn't she. Shame.

Lulumama Fri 20-Feb-09 13:45:17

what grade of previa is it? totally covering the cervix is just touching or just near it.

FatController Fri 20-Feb-09 13:52:03

And how PG are you? The vast majority of cases do sort themselves out by about 32 weeks.

I had PP with DS, it was picked up at 12 and 20 week scans but had moved over by the 32 week one!

Try not to worry, likelihood is it will go. Even if you do have PP at 32 weeks, the Drs know about it and you will get great care. You can make arrangements for friends/ relatives/ DP to look after your DCs.

hobbgoblin Fri 20-Feb-09 13:53:36

This is the thing, the sonographer pretty much refused to comment further until 32 weeks scan (in 11 weeks) despite my gentle (slightly panicked) probing. All she said was if it doesn't move it'll be a C section. When I got home I Googled (tut) and then realised there were the 4 grades. She hasn't written up which Grade mine is - it just says low lying.

When she enlarged the image of placenta it looked to me (non-sonographer, non-expert opinion!) to be totally over cervix. Am quite miffed she hasn't stated a grade despite being 20 weeks +

Not sure what to do with little info while I wait for weeks for another scan.

hobbgoblin Fri 20-Feb-09 13:54:54

And I have nobody who could help with DC.

Lulumama Fri 20-Feb-09 13:55:48

i think you should call back and ask for clarification.

it might be that it is one of the types that does move out of the way, if it was totally covering or half way over the cervix then you would have most likely been given different informaion

no good worrying about it for 11 weeks, call back or speak to your MW

cory Fri 20-Feb-09 13:57:25

About your last point, hobgoblin: even an emergency C-section won't necessarily mean they put you out under a general anasthaetic.

I had ds through emergency caesarian and was very much there for the moment when he came into the world: in fact, more so than with my vaginal delivery, as I was not spaced out with pain.

And they put him on my chest straight away as I'd asked them to do, and I breastfed him. Really, I had all the things you'd associate with a vaginal birth (except the home birth and the birthing pool, obviously).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now