Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

VBAC - What are your feelings?

(11 Posts)
icklejem Wed 18-Feb-09 12:23:38

Hi Girls,

I had a horrendous birth experience with DD and ended in an ECS. I was just wondering what everyone's feelings are about giving a VBAS a go and why you would or wouldn't go for it?

I really wanted a natural birth with DD and it all ended in disaster after a 48 hour labour, not sure I want to risk going through with that again and think maybe a planned section would be a better option for all of us, but dread the thought of the recovery period again. Would love to guarentee a natural birth but that just isn't a reality... What are your feelings about this subject??

Lulumama Wed 18-Feb-09 12:57:19

there is a good thread on here called 'support for imminent VBACers' with lots of advice, opinion and links to research

you also need to fully debrief your first birth and see if the reasons you had a c.s cuold be avoided second time

lots of times 'failure to progress' is partially to do with immobility and that sort of thing. and not neccesarily going to recur

but definitely get to grips with what happened first time

TuttiFrutti Wed 18-Feb-09 13:46:06

Have a look at this site: www.caesarean.org.uk which has all the statistics you'll need.

There are no easy answers to someone in your position (I was there 2 years ago) because there are so many unknowns. An easy, quick vaginal birth with no ventouse/forceps/episiotomy is the best outcome, but how likely are you to achieve that? An elective c-section is much better than an emergency one, and a traumatic vaginal delivery with bad tearing can be the worst of all.

When I researched it, I remember that of all women who'd had previous c-sections, only 25% attempted a VBAC, and out of that 25% only 66% of them achieved it. This compares to over 75% of other women ending up with vaginal birth, so your chance of ending up with a caesarean anyway is significantly higher if you've had one before.

I chose to have an elective cs and it was a fantastic experience, really calm and peaceful and my recovery was very quick. But I was lucky, and I know friends who've had difficult recoveries - but then also from vaginal deliveries. There's a lot of luck involved.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

icklejem Wed 18-Feb-09 14:22:21

Thanks girls! Wow! Thoses stats sound scary! Must admit I'm a bit of wimp when it comes to pain, so the whole thing is rather daunting. I will def look at those links, thanks everyone.

chosenone Wed 18-Feb-09 14:39:26

Just wanted to add my thoughts here! I had a 38 hour labour with DS ending in ECS but was pretty sure that I wanted a VBAC with DD and im so glad I did, watching her come out and look straight up at me was amazing and helped me come to terms with DS's birth, however, if it had ended up as an ECS then at least I would've known I tried. This is how I felt though, and i do know a couple of mums who wish they had an elective as they ended up with a CS anyway! There are no guarantee's and you need to weigh up the pro's and cons and talk it over with your consultant! My DD was in a much better position for VB as Ds had been back to back and I dilated much MUCH quicker! Mind you when I was 10 days overdue I did change my mind and asked for a CS but consultant just laughed!wink

Nabster Wed 18-Feb-09 14:41:06

My situation was slightly different as I never went into full blown labour before the decision was made that I needed a ECS. I then had VBAC2 and was very lucky both babies were fine but it was very hairy and I have been advised not to have any more.

Good luck with your birth and new baby however they are born.

nkf Wed 18-Feb-09 14:43:02

I had a VBAC and I would do so again.
You can't guarantee a natural birth but sometimes there are good reasons why it didn't happen and they can be avoided.

I had a doula with my VBAC and I would never ever even consider giving birth without one present.

To be honest, I actually loved my second birth. It had - sounding very hippy here - a healing effect on me after a miserably first labour and ECS.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Soph73 Wed 18-Feb-09 15:36:56

DS2 was a VBAC after an emergency C-section with DS1 and to date it has been the most wonderful experience of my entire life. I did have a very supportive midwife though & over here (Gran Canaria) you can't have an elective C-section unless you go private so, obviously, midwives are very positive about VBAC. I was also overwhelmed about how great I felt after the birth because I could get up and move around unhindered. It took me ages to recover after my c-section.

Take time (if you have it) to think both options through and in the end you'll make the right decision for you.

Good luck icklejem

Nabster Wed 18-Feb-09 15:38:07

It is relevant the reasons for the ECS in the first place. Problem with baby (which might not happen again) or with you (which might)

KERALA1 Wed 18-Feb-09 15:50:09

From personal experience go for it. Had ECS with dd1 because she was "stuck". Had incredible natural birth with dd2 the most amazing experience of my life. Feel so relieved that I didnt opt for the elective c section that I seriously considered.

icklejem Wed 18-Feb-09 16:26:39

Thanks girls, this is all a great help! I will be as open minded as possible about this and consider everything involved. Thanks so much for your experiences too, I'm sure this will be of great help to alot of us wondering what to do for the best. xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now