Talk

Advanced search

Arnica and c section recovery

(20 Posts)
crackerqueen Sun 08-Feb-09 13:07:23

I've heard that this homepathic remedy is excellent after a c-section. Can anyone tell me why and how to take it? How long for? Any other ideas for a speedy recovery after the op? TIA

2cats2many Sun 08-Feb-09 13:28:02

I recommend that you take EVERY painkiller that you are offered after your C-section. I've had two and after the second I forgot to take my cocktail of drugs one night before going to sleep. I woke up in agony, but managed to hobble to the top of the stairs and get my DH to run up with them.

Arnica might help with healing, but I would take it as a supplement to the kick-arse stuff that the hospital give you- not instead of.

Apart from that, IME the thing that really helps a speedy recovery is getting up and about as soon as you can after the op and staying reasonably active (without over doing it).

Carrie06 Sun 08-Feb-09 17:33:18

Given that the hospital prescribed me codeine and paracetamol, I didn't get too excited about whether I took it or not. I don't know anything about the arnica but I would give it a go as the hospital aren't going to give you anything too strong - in my experience anyway. Cx

fingermousey Mon 09-Feb-09 06:37:42

I took arnica for my first caesarean and not for my second. I honestly didn't notice the arnica doing any good. In fact my bruising and pain was much less with the second.

I took the pain killers religiously with my second and it really helped. With my first I was refused strong painkillers and my did it hurt.

kiltycoldbum Mon 09-Feb-09 07:16:23

the best bit was after my section and getting morphine while in the recovery bit, i was off my face for ages, (felt drunk) which made holding baby a bit daunting for a couple of hours but my hospital very kindly kept me loaded on a fine cocktail of painkillers afterwards, just the one go one the morphine, shame! grin

Lotster Mon 09-Feb-09 12:13:26

Hi there, to answer your question Arnica is supposed to reduce pain and swelling.
If you want to take it, a 200c dose is recommended, one tablet/pillule every two hours for the first day, then one tablet/pillule 2-3 times a day for 10 days. I rang Ainsworths (homeopathy afficionados) to check this dose, and also whether I should take it before the op as I had heard, and they said no, just start on the day.

just found this study
...given that you'll probably be given Diclofenac (or Voltarol) from the hospital, taking both can only help!

PrimulaVeris Mon 09-Feb-09 12:28:38

Well, if you're happy to take something that doesn't have a single active ingredient ... I should say at this point I am of the opinion that homeopathy is quackery.

I've had a caesarean and you'll need serious painkillers, believe me. After my second 'normal' birth the midwife suggested that arnica would relieve the swelling, my brain must have gone walkabout as I religiously applied it to zero effect. It would have healed up quicker if I'd gone up and down Snowdon on a mountain bike every day hmm

bosch Mon 09-Feb-09 12:33:41

I thought Arnica was supposed to promote healing, not act as a painkiller.

I took Arnica for a few days before and after planned c/s and I healed really well. It may or may not have had anything to do with the Arnica, but have seen lots on here recommending it.

FWIW after 24 hours of being uncomfortable but not in major pain, I was on over the counter painkillers only and frequently forgot to take them until MWs said 'you don't really need these any more do you'. smile

Good luck.

Lotster Mon 09-Feb-09 13:12:10

You're right Bosch, it is supposed to reduce swelling and brusing so you can heal faster - and by having less swelling you have less pain in theory IYSWIM.

Anti-inflammatory painkillers like Nurofen/Diclofenac/Voltarol do this too though, to greater painkilling effect obviously, but arnica is meant to be a good support. I'll be taking the lot!

iwantitnow Mon 09-Feb-09 14:44:37

PrimulaVeris I agree but the placebo effect can be very strong. There is a man in america that has promised $1m to anybody that can prove in a clinical trial that homeopathy works - the $1m is still unclaimed after several years.

crackerqueen Mon 09-Feb-09 15:16:21

Thanks All.
Lotster that's an interesting article. Cheers!
Bosch - That's encouraging! Ta.
Oh Yes, I'll be taking everything they offer post op, just wondered if arnica is really any good with healing. As for painkillers, I'll try anything!
Arnica can be used in conjunction with the antiflamms mentioned, can't it?

Lotster Mon 09-Feb-09 15:31:27

yes, good luck.

2Helenback Mon 09-Feb-09 20:26:06

Beware the Voltarol: this can cause diarrhoea, which is not pleasant on a ward with one working loo! If it does give you the runs do not take an immodium as you will then get constipated. I did this and stopped taking the iron tablets for the anaemia. I was too embarrassed to mention the consipation to anyone (so much dignity left after a c-section that involved a morphine suppository!!???) I ended up close to needing a trasfusion, and in a right state. They also gave me co-codamol at the hospital, which added to the constipation issue, and caused me to hear things in a mild hallucination type episode.

I am sticking to Ibuprofen and paracetemol this time around!

Sorry, rambling.

SillyCalamari Thu 12-Feb-09 20:56:16

in a recent study it was proven that Arnica doesn't work - no more than a placebo anyway. Sorry I don't have details....

jodmyster Thu 01-Nov-12 22:05:33

Yes, sillycalamari is right, see below.

http://archsurg.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=211818

Fakebook Thu 01-Nov-12 22:16:35

I took arnica for a second degree tear after my second baby. I had a second degree tear the first time too, and that got infected and took a long time to heal. Second time I healed within a week. It was brilliant. I couldn't believe how well I felt "down there" afterwards. It's brilliant for healing bruising and swelling. I recommend it.

Fakebook Thu 01-Nov-12 22:18:01

Word of advice about codeine; it causes severe constipation, so try to limit it or ask the mw to give you lactulose alongside it so you don't get clogged up.

jaggythistle Thu 01-Nov-12 22:30:02

the homeopathic tablets don't contain any arnica so are a bit of a waste of money really.

take the pain killers and rest as much as you can with a newborn. lactulose is good for constipation caused by codeine and general post op uncomfortableness. you can get it over the counter and it's safe when bf unlike most other constipation remedies.

good luck!

Kitsilano Thu 01-Nov-12 22:36:50

Since homeopathic remedies don't actually contain anything, nor do anything beyond placebo effect I'm sure you dont need to worry about taking arnica in conjunction with anti inflammatories smile

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Thu 01-Nov-12 22:48:49

Primula, you said you applied it to no avail. I assume you used the gel or cream?
I have no opinion on whether arnica works or not for this - but I do know you're not supposed to apply the cream or gel to broken skin. I'm pretty sure the op was talking about the pillules.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now