Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What happens if you plan a CS but go into labour spontaneously?

(15 Posts)
LeninGrad Tue 13-Jan-09 14:54:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Spillage21 Tue 13-Jan-09 14:58:45

Depends why you're having a CS? can you give example?

Ceebee74 Tue 13-Jan-09 15:05:58

I had a planned CS with DS2 at 39 weeks after having an emergency cs with DS1. I was told that if I did go into labour (or any other signs such as waters breaking etc) I had to ring the maternity unit asap and I would probably be told to go in so they could monitor me.

They did say that if the labour was progressing well, they would encourage me to continue with that - however, if it was not, then I guess it would have been another 'emergency' cs.

But I guess it depends why you are having a CS - if there are genuine medical reasons why you couldn't have a natural birth then I guess they would just organise a quick cs.

Lulumama Tue 13-Jan-09 15:08:48

i think if the baby has come down the birth canal and it would have to be pushed back up, then you would be better to give birth vaginally

if things are going v v quick , it might be harder to get a spinal sited in time

i think it depends on lots of things

LeninGrad Tue 13-Jan-09 15:10:33

Lulumama Tue 13-Jan-09 15:14:58

would you consider going for a vaginal birth ?

i think when the uterus is cut for the c.s it would stop contracting anyway. don;t know if drugs are given to stop it. i had an epidural so could not feel my labour pains and it was topped up for my em c.s.

i had a straighforward vaginal birth second time though

definitely good to go through what happened at your last birth

must have been urgent need to get baby out if given a g.a

LeninGrad Tue 13-Jan-09 15:17:49

Lulumama Tue 13-Jan-09 15:20:36

hvae you thought about having a doula to support you for before , during and after the birth, or an independnet midife?

OatcakeCravings Tue 13-Jan-09 15:28:07

Hiya,

This happened to me - planned C section at 39 weeks, waters broke and contractions started at 35 weeks.

I phoned the hospital and they told me to come in right away. I was monitored and told I'd be having a C section that morning (this was at about 4am) and I was taken into theatre at 12 noon. They would have taken me in sooner if my labour was progressing faster.

Lulumama Tue 13-Jan-09 15:34:22

IMO< if labour starts at term spontaneously and is progressing normally, a vaginal birth is better

abear Tue 13-Jan-09 15:37:56

I had a CS with DS1, with DS2 I had a CS booked and went in to labour at 36 weeks. My waters broke at about 6.30am, I called the hospital, was there by 9, and had CS at 12. They never suggested I didn't still have the CS... but I do wonder if I should have given it a go.

nina99 Tue 13-Jan-09 16:09:39

It really does depend on why you are having your el. CS. If it is only because you have had 1 straight forward previous CS then you should be given the choice of whether you would like to try and deliver normally(65-75% of such mums manage to deliver vagibnally!)or to proceed with an Em CS. If the planned CS was for other reasons eg. Breech baby or more than 1 prev CS then most places will proceed with an Em CS unless you were close to being fully dilated when you were admitted.smile

LeninGrad Tue 13-Jan-09 16:32:40

Carrie06 Tue 13-Jan-09 17:50:17

During a section, they normally place the incision in the lower segment of the uterus which I don't think contracts so I don't think having a section stops contractions as such as after having the baby, you want the uterus to contract to prevent blood loss etc.

I am due to have a section at 39 weeks but have been told that if I go into labour before then, I will be allowed to continue for a period of time. Reason for 2nd section is prior emergency section at 29 weeks and short time period between 2 sections...ie approx 1 yr. Cx

LeninGrad Tue 13-Jan-09 19:50:52

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now