Talk

Advanced search

Got questions about giving birth? Know what to expect and when to expect it, with the Mumsnet Pregnancy Calendar.

if you had an epidural, did you need forceps/ventouse?

(92 Posts)
mogwai Thu 31-Mar-05 16:43:08

I'm a total baby when it comes to pain. I really want to have an epidural for my forthcoming birth. I am a little concerned that there is a higher than average rate of instrumental delivery (forceps/ventouse) with epidural. I'd be interested to find out how many of you have had epidural and delivered without assistance and vice versa. Asked my midwife today, she says less than half need help, but that's just anecdotal, can't find any firm figures to help me decide.

oooggs Thu 31-Mar-05 16:48:50

I had an epidural and DS popped out on his own

Laylasmum Thu 31-Mar-05 16:49:27

i had epidural and ventouse

mears Thu 31-Mar-05 16:53:14

This leaflet on epidural will help you. You used to be able to read it online but now you need to request it to be sent to you on e-mail. Worth reading though because it will give you loads of info.

smellymelly Thu 31-Mar-05 16:54:34

I had epidural with all mine, 1st 2 came out no problem, last 2 (twins) were by ventouse.

thedogmother Thu 31-Mar-05 16:55:07

I had epidural late on with ds1, got too tired and was unable to push (25 hour labour), so he was helped out with forceps.

With ds2, had epidural early on instead of trying other forms of pain relief, and he popped out no problem.

So, 50/50!

JoolsToo Thu 31-Mar-05 16:55:16

I had one natural with forceps, one epidural with Keillands rotation and one epidural with no assistance.

I would recommend epidural to anyone

northerner Thu 31-Mar-05 16:56:00

I had epidural with ds and need ventouse and forceps He was posterior though.

aloha Thu 31-Mar-05 16:56:18

As far as I can discern from reading the literature, it is pretty much impossible to know if people have forceps/ventouse after epidural because they need the epidural because their births were difficult in the first place. Obviously if you have a short, easy labour you won't a/need forcep/ventouse b/ be very likely to request an epidural. So even if there is an association between epidurals and forceps etc, this does NOT mean the epidurals CAUSE the intervention. ie on rainy days more people are out with umbrellas - this does not mean umbrellas cause rain.

northerner Thu 31-Mar-05 16:57:21

Great analogy Aloha.

Will also say, when I get round to doing it again I will still have an epidural.

aloha Thu 31-Mar-05 16:59:19

i meant to say does not *necessarily" mean - it isn't clear cut

blessima Thu 31-Mar-05 16:59:53

I had an epidural with both of mine and dd was dragged out with Neville barnes forceps following a failed attempt with the ventouse.

However.....ds (second birth) was out in 5 minutes after 3 pushes and no assistance!

that doesn't help much does it!

smellymelly Thu 31-Mar-05 17:00:41

Well my 1st was a very long and hard labour but I stll managed to push him out.

My twin delivery was only 2.5 hours to dilate, but dd2 got just slightly stuck, just sticking the ventouse to her head was enough! ds1 was pulled out in an emergency, so that was different.

smellymelly Thu 31-Mar-05 17:01:35

BTW - I wouldn't even attempt to give birth without an epidural, I'm a wimp!!

aloha Thu 31-Mar-05 17:18:03

i meant to say does not *necessarily" mean - it isn't clear cut

Cristina7 Thu 31-Mar-05 17:20:39

I had an epidural and DS needed a forceps. He was 4.1 kg.

Azure Thu 31-Mar-05 17:22:29

Epidural then ventouse and forceps - DS was yanked out minutes before they were about to start a c/s. Having said that I was 12 hours into labour before I got the epidural - DS was posterior and it looked like I would be there a long time. My sister's three labours were all much less than 12 hours. I agree with Aloha's comments about cause and effect. I would definitely have an epidural again if the labour were taking so long.

Blu Thu 31-Mar-05 17:26:58

I was going to post (before Aloha's well made point) that I had an epidural precisely and only because a ventouse delivery was imminent - I was perfectly ok painwise until then, so it wasn't the epi that led to ventouse.

BUT the registrar did say if I couldn't 'remember' or feel how to push because of the epi then we might be heading for a CS. I could still push and anyway, the MWs helped me by watching the contractions on the monitor and giving clear instructions.

franke Thu 31-Mar-05 17:27:37

Had a late mobile epidural during my vbac last year. 45 minutes of pushing but no forceps or ventouse. The second stage contractions were augmented with a (synto?) drip for the last 20 minutes. DS eventually practically flew out.

lucysmum Thu 31-Mar-05 17:29:25

Epidural but thanks to great midwife telling me exactly when to push and helping me try different positions pushed her out myself. She weighed 8lb 4oz. Different hospitals have different guidelines on how long you can push for. I think I went slightly over the recommended length for our hospital (1.5 hours if I recall) but midwife was v experienced and didn't want to call doctor as she thought I could do it on my own. Knew about it afterwards though.....

DD2 virtually fell out - 5 min second stage, no time for any pain relief

motherpeculiar Thu 31-Mar-05 17:30:01

had an epidural and pushed DD out without assistance

watch your birthing position if you are pushing with epidural though - I managed to damage my back as I had no warning signs that anything was going awry. I had mobile epi and was in a supported squat. A position to be avoided if possible I've subsequently heard - although fine obviously if you don't have an epi and can actually feel what's happening and change if any problems.

throckenholt Thu 31-Mar-05 17:30:38

2 epidurals - 2 normal deliveries (ie no forceps or ventuse).

Hayls Thu 31-Mar-05 17:31:49

I had a long labour and an epidural. Had to have ventouse delivery after LOTS of pushing

Chandra Thu 31-Mar-05 17:34:56

Epidural and ventouse, but TBH it was not the fault of the epidural, the doctor told me right after DS was born that there was no way the baby could have been born naturally without medical help. Why did they left me there for 27hrs to realise about this I will never know.

pupuce Thu 31-Mar-05 17:47:14

Mogwai on the whole it's mainly 1st vaginal birth that are with ventouse/forceps not 2nd timers (there are of course exceptions) but on the whole it's those who have a higher incidence... epidural or not! Though epidural doesn't always help in this sense!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: