Talk

Advanced search

Is Diamorphine better than Pethidene for pain relief?

(6 Posts)
liznay Sun 04-Jan-09 12:24:02

Following on from Mears' thread, did anyone come to a conclusion about whether Diamorphine is actually better for taking away pain? My birth plan says 'No Pethidene' as I don't want to be 'out of it' would Diamorphine automatically do the same?

thanks! smile

IdrisTheDragon Sun 04-Jan-09 12:26:24

In the hospital where I had DS and DD, they give diamorphine rather than pethidine. This means I can't compare the two, but can let you know my experience of diamorphine.

Made me sick, took away the pain, mainly by making me fall asleep. This prolonged the pushing stage both times as I couldn't stay awake enough to push properly. My only regret with DD's birth was that I used diamorphine again - I remember asking at the time "will this send me to sleep like it did with DS?" and was assured that it wouldn't, but it definitely did.

liznay Sun 04-Jan-09 12:28:59

Thanks Idris, I thought as much - as I seem to remember having morphine after an operation on a cyst a couple of years back. I remember dozing off listening to westlife on my walkman for what seemed like hours blush

rolandbrowning Sun 04-Jan-09 12:34:52

I had diamorphine after a 4 day "slow labour". I had eventually been put on a syntocin drip to speed things up. I had reached a point where I was unable to cope anymore. The diamorphine was a godsend. I felt like I had had a sleep, without actually going to sleep. I felt refreshed and in control again. It didn't entirely take away the pain, but allowed me to be able to cope with it again. The birth was a very difficult, drawn out process, and I couldn't have coped without the diamorphine.

Sushipaws Sun 04-Jan-09 12:36:10

I was only 2cm dilated and they told me to go home but I was in too much pain so they gave me a diamorphine tablet and put me and dh in a wee room to get a nap. I did nap in between contractions and it reduced the pain but I dilated to 9cm in 2 hours so I'm bloody glad I didn't go home. I didn't feel out of it and since we were on our own I think it helped me allot. It had worn off by the time I got into the birthing pool and dd was born 2 hours later. I'm pregnant again now and if I'm offered it i'll take it again.

twocutedarlings Sun 04-Jan-09 14:53:41

I had Diamorphine with DD1, i was so out of it, that i thought i was on another planet!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now