Talk

Advanced search

If you had a very long labour...help please

(22 Posts)
saadia Fri 25-Mar-05 16:51:36

Hi all, I'm a newie. My SIL has been having contractions since Wednesday evening, they are now nine mins apart. I am worried that when the time comes she will be too exhausted to push. My own labours were fairly short - ds1 was c/section after 24hr labour, ds2 ventouse after twelve hour labour so I have no relevant experience.

saadia Fri 25-Mar-05 16:53:40

Should she (SIL) request an epidural - she is currently at home

jampots Fri 25-Mar-05 16:56:18

If her contractions are coming regularly and she is otherwise ok I would be inclined to take a couple of paracetamol and try to relax. Also she should (if she hasnt already) called her midwife to ask for expert advice).I laboured for 3 days before having an em c/s and it aint fun.

Also have her waters broken yet? If so, she should go into hospital.

Punnet Fri 25-Mar-05 17:03:53

I had a 46 hour labour and guess what? It was great! I was relatively relaxed and pain free, and it was one of the most gentle, rewarding experiences I have had. I was in a midwife led unit and they allowed me to birth at my own rate with aromatherapy painkillers. Long doesn't always mean bad- but you do have to get checked out regularly.

saadia Fri 25-Mar-05 17:10:29

Thanks for your advice. Will try not to stress too much. This is SIL's first pg, as you may have guessed.

Kittypickle Fri 25-Mar-05 17:30:10

I'd get her to insist on being examined by a MW, either get the community one out or go into the hospital. I had 4 days of contractions before having an emergency c/section and I was completely exhausted by the time it came to pushing.

saadia Fri 25-Mar-05 21:02:44

4 days Kittypickle!!! And then c/s!!! How traumatic.
SIL is at the hospital now, but looks like they will be sending her home. Don't really know how to help her, except to just keep encouraging and supporting her - not sure how much help that is.

Punnet Fri 25-Mar-05 21:25:50

The best thing I found was distratction- I was up at midnight potting plants!. Pop into Blockbusters (or similar) and rent a video that's good for a giggle but not TOO exciting- Bridget Jones type thingy- and keep her supplied with chocolate. It might seem like ages but it won't be long, he / she'll be eighteen and looking at you in disgust when you play your music!! Good luck to you and your SIL.

saadia Fri 25-Mar-05 21:51:30

Thanks Punnet

pupuce Fri 25-Mar-05 22:06:46

If she is contracting every 10 mins and was sent home, she is not technically in labour.
She needs to distract herself, take paracetamols and go to bed.
Has she had contractions non stop for the past 2 days ?
Is she finding it really painful or just very uncomfortable ?

saadia Fri 25-Mar-05 22:22:19

She has been having regular contractions and is in a lot of pain. I know this may not technically be labour, but it's obviously impossible for her to get any sleep, and as it's still the early stages we have no idea how much longer it will last.

pupuce Fri 25-Mar-05 22:30:45

How many weeks?
Did she do any antenatal yoga?
Has she got a TENS machine?
Has she tried a bath?

pupuce Fri 25-Mar-05 22:31:20

Has she had NO break at all of contractions since Wednesday?

debs26 Fri 25-Mar-05 22:40:10

with ds1 i was induced friday 9am, gave birth 4.30pm sunday. wasnt in proper labour til about 10am sunday. try to rest as much as possible (baths help with pain), take it one hour at a time (plan when to have cup of tea, slice of toast, whats on tv), have epidural as soon as she gets in hospital so she can get some sleep then hopefully. with ds3 i had been doing yoga and hardly pushed at all, concentrated more on relaxing muscles and contraction does pushing for you - much less tiring

pupuce Fri 25-Mar-05 22:42:33

Off to bed... but wishing her the best...
Relaxing is the best way to do this but it is hard when there is no end in sight. Agree with Debs- take it hour by hour (I even say contraction by contraction)
If she get breaks she needs to use them to sleep.

gingernut Fri 25-Mar-05 23:29:11

Sorry, haven't read all of the posts so hope I'm not repeating too much that has already been said. I had 2 very long labours. First time, I had no idea how long it was going to go on and how exhausted I would get. After 36 hours I was falling asleep between contractions and then couldn't control the gas and air, so requested an eipidural and slept for most of the rest of the labour. Had a ventouse in the end. Second labour, I had 3 days of pre-labour contractions (this is what your SIL is having by the sound of it) and I knew that I had to rest as much as possible. I took paracetamol and tried to sleep (this was just short naps as the contractions kept waking me). But I then managed to get through the labour without an epidural, had a normal delivery and was allowed home the same day (for a decent sleep in my own bed...bliss).

gingernut Fri 25-Mar-05 23:31:19

Oh, and I used a TENS machine both times, would definitely recommend even if it only distracts her. Has she been examined/baby been monitored? My sympathies to her BTW, my pre-labour pains were extremely painful and it was very demoralising to be told I was not dilating at all .

Punnet Sat 26-Mar-05 13:23:52

Any news Saadia?

saadia Sat 26-Mar-05 14:40:23

No change really, the contractions are still coming at the same rate, looks like it's going to be a long one. Just heard of a relative who had severe pains for a week before the actual delivery!!! SIL is taking baths to relax, and just try to rest as much as possible - all being well it will all be worth it. Will let you know when we hopefully get the good news.

milosmum Sat 26-Mar-05 15:08:38

i was in labour 2 1/2 days with my little one- as i got stuck at 2cm!!!! and my waters didnt break! they gave me every drug under the sun but no joy- eventually they were pushing my bed out of the room to theatre and out he popped- i was not having a section and i think the jolt of that was all i needed to push!- this time im going for a home birth- more relaxed and in my own enviroment..hate hospitals.hang in there- its worth it in the end

morningpaper Sat 26-Mar-05 17:05:18

Mine was 'only' 27 hours but the contractions were never longer than 4-5 minutes apart, mostly 2-3 minutes apart. Yes at the end I was HYSTERICAL and EXHAUSTED. However, I did have the energy to push and didn't need an assisted delivery (apart from an episiotomy). I felt like 'thank God I can finally do something' and found reserves of energy from somewhere. Good luck to your sister. xxx

saadia Tue 29-Mar-05 08:12:53

Yes I know I've been quiet for a long time, but SIL continued to have the contractions. After daily trips to the hospital only to be told to go home, her waters finally broke late on Sunday night. Off they went to the hospital again only to be sent home. SIL was by now distraught. Yesterday evening they returned to the hospital and pleaded for some pain relief. SIL was finally admitted and given an epi.

Anyway, early this morning I got a call to say that she has delivered a beautiful little baby boy!!! I was afraid that after enduring all that, she would have to have c/s. Thank you so much to everyone who helped with advice and good wishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now